Track Day Tire Question for Beginner - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Track Day Tire Question for Beginner

Hi, Been out of the bike game for about 10 years now but couple buddies and I decided to get into maybe doing a couple track days a summer here in WI / IL

Have a Tire question for all you guys that know a hell of a lot more than I do about Track days and track riding.

I just picked up a 2004 GSX-R 600 for pretty cheap.
The bike came with a brand new rear tire. Its Continental Contimotion M sport touring tire.

Considering the tire is brand new and Im not going to be going absolutely crazy aggressive on the track for my first time I think/hope I can get away with using this current tire since its already mounted and balanced on the bike..... any thoughts?

My main question is regarding I need to replace the front tire immediately. Its a wore out Metzler.

What tire would you recommend I put on the front?
or
Is it a bad idea to mismatch front and rear tires and I should go with the same brand & model at the rear tire thats already on the bike currently?

Any ideas or recommendations are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage
Re: Track Day Tire Question for Beginner

Don't mismatch, especially for track use.

Pony up and buy a new set of good street/track tires, like the Dunlop Q3.
K5cpt likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR-600
Garage

I never mismatch tires. I would get a matching front and call it a day until you want to get a more aggressive tire, then buy a set of new ones.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR-600
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Don't mismatch, especially for track use.

Pony up and buy a new set of good street/track tires, like the Dunlop Q3.
I've heard great things about the q3 as well as Pirelli supercorsa and michelins line as well. Anthony has far more track experience by far so take his word over mine.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks guys for the info.

If you guys were me would you run the Dunlop Q3 or the Pirelli Supercorsa tires? I do zero street riding. Its going to be just for track. I can get a pair of the supercorsa tires for $269 shipped or the dunlop Q3 for $250 shipped.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:17 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Either way, as long as you get the Supercorsa SP. Both will have great grip and neither require warmers.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

Can you get a discount on tires from your track day organization?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

If there isnt much difference Ill prob go with the Dunlops Q3 I guess.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: L4 1K, K7 600 (Track), '00 750

I've used the Q3's and loved them. Just remember to get some heat in them before you really push them. 2 laps or so of accelerating and braking ( take it easy on the cornering for the first 2 laps ) which is what builds up the heat.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Call me Jake

Motorcycle: 2013 ZX10R & 2008 GSXR600

Q3s will last a little longer than the Pirelli SPs, and they'll work a little better in the wet. I've used both at track days, I'd buy the Dunlops again if I were in the market for track tires to use without warmers.

Both will work fine at a beginner or intermediate trackday pace, and plenty of people run in the advanced groups on both tires without much drama.
K5cpt likes this.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: black GSX-R 1000 K6
Garage

I'm in the same situation,looking for my next street/track tires.I would opt for Dunlop D211 GP Racer but I don't currently own warmers so I will try out the Sportsmart2 (the equivalent of Q3 for EU) .
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio_Rp View Post
I'm in the same situation,looking for my next street/track tires.I would opt for Dunlop D211 GP Racer but I don't currently own warmers so I will try out the Sportsmart2 (the equivalent of Q3 for EU) .
Dude, please show us all where the Sportsmart2 is the equivalent to the Q3?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Call me Jake

For what it's worth, OP may want to look at Metzeler Racetec RRs in the K3 compound. I'm using a K2 front and a K3 rear on my ZX10 at the moment (track only). The K3 seems to hold up better in colder conditions on the rear. I'll be going back to a K2 or Pirelli SC2 once this K3 is done. I've been using tire warmers but Metzeler claims that they're not required for the K3.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Call me Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5cpt View Post
Dude, please show us all where the Sportsmart2 is the equivalent to the Q3?
This is something I've wondered about, too. It appears that the two tires are supposed to fill the same niche, but that doesn't mean that they've got much in common. For instance, Pirelli Supercorsa SP versus the Diablo Rosso Corsa. Both are marketed as dual use, street and track, but they are not the same tire.

I've never seen a SportSmart tire in person, but I do have plenty of seat time on Q3s. The tread pattern is obviously different but I have no clue on the compounds or construction methods used.

It's got to be frustrating (as someone not living in North America) to ask about tires on a forum and get told "Buy Q3s!" when they're not available in their part of the world.

-Jake
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclotron View Post
This is something I've wondered about, too. It appears that the two tires are supposed to fill the same niche, but that doesn't mean that they've got much in common. For instance, Pirelli Supercorsa SP versus the Diablo Rosso Corsa. Both are marketed as dual use, street and track, but they are not the same tire.

I've never seen a SportSmart tire in person, but I do have plenty of seat time on Q3s. The tread pattern is obviously different but I have no clue on the compounds or construction methods used.

It's got to be frustrating (as someone not living in North America) to ask about tires on a forum and get told "Buy Q3s!" when they're not available in their part of the world.
Yeah, being an ex Blackbird track rider, I researched a tyre with a strong sidewall to support the weight of a 260kg bike. Dunlop Q3 came up as best option as the Pirelli probably not ideal for the weight of the bike. Nowhere in my research did the Sportsmart come up. The roadsmart did but for touring. Hence I would like to know why this guy insists the tyres are the same (yet I know they're not from lots of research and e-mailing Dunlop US, UK and SA).
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: black GSX-R 1000 K6
Garage

Nowhere have I stated they are the same tire. What I have said is that Dunlop Europe produces the Sportsmart for street/trackday(-ish) use. I supported my claim with a chart from Dunlop's Europe site. On the other hand Dunlop USA produces the Q3 for the same use (street/track day(-ish)) nowhere did I say they are the same nor do I know which one's the best.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Squid

I really like the Diablo Rosso 2 tires for the track there is now a version 3. They heat up pretty quick and they wear very good if you have your suspension set up pretty good.

I ride Intermediate and i get 5 - 6 track days out of them.

The set i have going on next is one up from the 2's, the Diablo Rosso Corsa they have a larger soft section of rubber then the Diablo Rosso 2s.

I think using the Super Corsa is over kill if you are a beginner, being able to keep heat in the tire maybe an issue.

The Q3s are also very good tires i have rode on those also.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Nowhere have I stated they are the same tire. What I have said is that Dunlop Europe produces the Sportsmart for street/trackday(-ish) use. I supported my claim with a chart from Dunlop's Europe site. On the other hand Dunlop USA produces the Q3 for the same use (street/track day(-ish)) nowhere did I say they are the same nor do I know which one's the best.
Last I checked equivalent means the same. It's a synonym... But ooookay.

Quote:

Last edited by K5cpt; 06-14-2016 at 03:40 AM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05yellow600 View Post
I think using the Super Corsa is over kill if you are a beginner, being able to keep heat in the tire maybe an issue.
Keep in mind that these are street tires no matter how you look at it. They're designed to take heat well.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR600
Garage

I'm rocking the Pirelli Rosso III's and just ran them through a weekend at Jennings GP. Great tire and have no issues on the track or street. They had good wear and was never worried about traction and I'm now running Intermediate times. I am going with them again when time comes for a new rear since I'm in FL and the rear always gets used up before the front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode