Swapping body work for track days - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600
Swapping body work for track days

Hey fellas, wanted a little input from you guys.

For a street/track bike, would it be worth swapping out the OEM fairings for race body work on track days? I'm not sure if this would be worth it or not. Or this could be one of my retarded thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage
Re: Swapping body work for track days

Once you have done it a few times, it becomes a 30 minutes job.

And it is definitely worth it IMO to get race bodywork and not run the risk of trashing your stock plastics and lights.
Johnny English likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Once you have done it a few times, it becomes a 30 minutes job.

And it is definitely worth it IMO to get race bodywork and not run the risk of trashing your stock plastics and lights.

That was my assumption. After I do a course or two I'll put down some cash for some new body work. Now to plan logo designs

Thank Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

the mirrors take the longest to get off, but i only have race bodywork so i dont even know what it entails for stock. wish i had some back up fairings but oh well lol
K5cpt likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

I'll go without it for now. I'll need an aftermarket exhaust from what I can tell. Well... Unless I want to cut out a slot for the big ass cat underneath. Insurance covers track days anyhow, I can wait a little longer

Just ordered CRG levers, Spiegler brake lines, some good DOT4 fluid, and GB engine case covers today.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:40 PM

which track and company were you going with again to get started?

good way to celebrate leap year... spend money on the bike! lol
Johnny English likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
which track and company were you going with again to get started?

good way to celebrate leap year... spend money on the bike! lol

Hells yeah

Well... I was about to go through Lone Star Track Days, but the only date I didn't work filled up the day I got on to register. I'm going to have to go with Ride Smart, and will either go to TWS or one of the Cresson tracks. There is also one out of Houston, but I really hate Houston...

Have you been to any of them before?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:50 PM

i concur. i really dont like houston either lol

And no i have not. March or May will be my first go. I was looking at TWS with Ride Smart. ill have to take a look at the Cresson tracks. since im new i dont care what track it is.... I just want to go...and SOON!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

I'll look on there in a bit and let you know what dates I'll be able to go. It's always better to have a partner!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

definitely worth it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Call me Jake

Motorcycle: 2013 ZX10R & 2008 GSXR600

For your first track day I'd just tape up the lights like nearly everybody else does. Not everybody really digs track days, no sense in buying a bunch of track-only parts until you decide whether you want to stick with it or not. You probably will love it, I know I do. But my point is, your stock bike won't be holding you back at all on your first track day.

I don't know if you already own all the gear or not, but I'd rather spend money on my own leathers and boots before I got brake lines and levers. The loaner gear will get you through the day, but I hate to imagine how many people have worn that same suit and it may not have been cleaned in a year. I know how hot it gets down in DFW or Houston in the summer time, being in leathers in that kind of heat must be like having your balls in a crockpot. I know I'd be sweating like a whore in church, can't even imagine the level of funk inside those old suits.

-Jake
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclotron View Post
For your first track day I'd just tape up the lights like nearly everybody else does. Not everybody really digs track days, no sense in buying a bunch of track-only parts until you decide whether you want to stick with it or not. You probably will love it, I know I do. But my point is, your stock bike won't be holding you back at all on your first track day.

I don't know if you already own all the gear or not, but I'd rather spend money on my own leathers and boots before I got brake lines and levers. The loaner gear will get you through the day, but I hate to imagine how many people have worn that same suit and it may not have been cleaned in a year. I know how hot it gets down in DFW or Houston in the summer time, being in leathers in that kind of heat must be like having your balls in a crockpot. I know I'd be sweating like a whore in church, can't even imagine the level of funk inside those old suits.
I appreciate the input guy.

Since they offer free boots and leathers for the first time I decided it was better to spend money on crash protection and some better levers that fit me better than the large stock levers. As far as body work, these are future plans. I'm not blowing money on a paint job and some high end headlights with an LED set up for bike nights That's much different from a couple levers, braided lines, and crash protection. Considering these are the first 3 mods I've done to the bike in one year, I'm pretty conservative compared to others. Race body work and the things alike will be further down the line. Have you never thought ahead about something you're excited about?

As far as renting leathers... Sitting in some other guy's nut cheese residue is just as bad as sitting in my own Gonna be hot either way! This is more of a convenience. This is the next item on my list. But considering I don't/can't go to a track 2 days a week, I value the mods that I chose more.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Call me Jake

Motorcycle: 2013 ZX10R & 2008 GSXR600

Quote:
Have you never thought ahead about something you're excited about?
Many times. I'm not trying to break balls, just trying to give some insight considering I've been in the same spot you're in. For what it's worth, both of my track bikes have race bodywork.

Personally, I didn't want to get into swapping bodywork and tires so I bought a cheap track beater to get started. Plenty of people swap parts back and forth and use one bike for street and track use. Nothing wrong with either choice. Its certainly not wrong to want to personalize your bike, I do the same thing. The parts you ordered should help the bike perform better, no doubt about it. My point was that the bike is very capable right off the showroom floor. I've seen bikes with zero miles and paper tags out in the advanced group tearing it up on the stock tires. No LED blinky lights required.

If you're cool with wearing the rental leathers then go for it. Not everyone realizes that they don't get sent out for cleaning and conditioning every time they're used. I get kinda skeeved about it, but I'm a wuss about that kind of stuff. I also wear leathers and boots when I street ride so I get plenty of mileage out of them. Not everybody wants to roll around dressed up like a Power Ranger but I do it. I don't street ride much, probably about 1,000 miles a year now. I used to ride about 10,000 miles a year before I got serious about track riding. Everybody is different in that aspect.

Either way, good luck and I think you'll have a blast.

-Jake
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclotron View Post
Many times. I'm not trying to break balls, just trying to give some insight considering I've been in the same spot you're in. For what it's worth, both of my track bikes have race bodywork.

Personally, I didn't want to get into swapping bodywork and tires so I bought a cheap track beater to get started. Plenty of people swap parts back and forth and use one bike for street and track use. Nothing wrong with either choice. Its certainly not wrong to want to personalize your bike, I do the same thing. The parts you ordered should help the bike perform better, no doubt about it. My point was that the bike is very capable right off the showroom floor. I've seen bikes with zero miles and paper tags out in the advanced group tearing it up on the stock tires. No LED blinky lights required.

If you're cool with wearing the rental leathers then go for it. Not everyone realizes that they don't get sent out for cleaning and conditioning every time they're used. I get kinda skeeved about it, but I'm a wuss about that kind of stuff. I also wear leathers and boots when I street ride so I get plenty of mileage out of them. Not everybody wants to roll around dressed up like a Power Ranger but I do it. I don't street ride much, probably about 1,000 miles a year now. I used to ride about 10,000 miles a year before I got serious about track riding. Everybody is different in that aspect.

Either way, good luck and I think you'll have a blast.
You're absolutely right about these bikes being more than capable stock.

I used to commute on my suzuki and decided to get the victory to commute with instead. My 600 and I become very unhappy on highways... Since I've spent 150-200 miles through the twisties every week or so. But even so, I have often found myself wishing I were on a track for obvious reasons.

I will always commute on my vic, that thing is a hoss... But I wouldn't be totally surprised if my 600 becomes a track bike for life Let's just say that I'm not concerned about my future interests in track riding.

Thanks again for the input. Everything you said was spot on brother.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 88'GSXR750 91'GSXR7/12 05'GSXR1000 CBR600 H2750X2 YZ250 KLX650C XR600R KZ1000

I left my race glass on a few of my track bikes after getting tired of swapping. i wired up a little projector headlight and cut in a tail light. 3 bolts and less than 5 min back to street. Sooner or later once your dedicated you will have a track only bike.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Well after completing my first track day out of the way, I'm certain my 600 will never touch public streets again. I very well might end up selling all of the OEM plastics and lights, but I'll give some thought on it... Might just toss them up in the attic My victory and FZR will be my street rides.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

Garage

Sell the OEM plastics, and it will pay for at least two sets of race glass.

Be sure to get ArmourBodies, they are fantastic.
tatersalad314 likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Sell the OEM plastics, and it will pay for at least two sets of race glass.

Be sure to get ArmourBodies, they are fantastic.
I'll act on that. I'd like to find out if anyone offers a fiberglass gas tank yet, or if anyone would be willing to make it for me.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 AM
MotoGP

Garage

No, keep the stock gas tank. It needs to be metal so if you wreck it doesn't spill gas all over.

How far are you from Austin? Motomummy is in Round Rock, you can take a ride there, meet SVS, and pick up your ArmourBodies there in person.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Currently using pedals..

Probably 2 hours depending on traffic. That's great, I'll send him a PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode