Newish track day guy - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: k8 600, 11 fz6r
Newish track day guy

ey guys central coast cali rider here did 1 track season and decided to go ahead and sign up for the afm i will begin my first season club racing in march so im pretty pumped.
bought a k8 600 put a few months on the street with it and hit a deer. decided its not the best idea riding that shit on the street ( i have my fz6r) for that so i took insurance moneys and turned it into a track bike. best thing ive ever done.

i will be competing in the 600 production class and im nervous because i dont think im good enough to podium but i know i can keep in the top 10 percent of a group.

two weeks ago went down in turn 6 at laguna. was on the breaks vs the gas and tucked the front end and lowsided. messed up rearset and spool but sliders saved me.

i have decided to try out the michelin power cup evos (dot) vs my q3s and im curious if anyone has any advice for how they run. or if anyone has any advice on anything for a first time racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:13 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4
Re: Newish track day guy

Congrats mate and good luck. You probably will never really know where you are ranked until you do a few races.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Congrats on making a step in the right direction, and welcome to the addiction!

The Michelin's are good tires, make sure you have tire warmers, and become friendly with your trackside vendor. They will be able to help you the most with what pressures/compounds to run.

Also, as you get faster, or when it rains, your suspension settings are gonna change, so make sure you have a good suspension guy, or are familiar with it yourself.

Don't worry about getting on the box. Just go out and have fun, after all, that is why we all do it.

Used to race, used to be fast, won a few championships.

"Anyone who believes that slow and steady wins the race has never been in a race" - Me

Rest in peace Dad... I love you, and I miss you. 05.18.43 - 10.11.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 600RR, ST1300, FZ09, GSX-R 750

As stated above, warmers are essential for the Cups. IIRC, the operating temperatures on them are 160-200 degrees, and hot pressures off the warmers (175 degrees) should be approx 23 rear and 32-33 front. This will put you in the ballpark and you can adjust as necessary depending on your riding style and suspension setup. The Cups are pretty sensitive to pressure changes, so obviously a good/calibrated pressure gauge and a probe type pyrometer will be very helpful. Good luck and have some fun.

Edit..........I was doing the heat range numbers above off of memory.....and I was off by just a bit. The heat range on the Cup Evo is 168 - 200 degrees F. Those tires will heat cycle in the 120 degree range, so when you come in for lunch or inbetween races/sessions, throw the warmers on....and keep them above the 120 degree range (low setting on the warmers if you have adjustable ones)

If it ain't fast......It ain't fun!

Vern...Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor

Last edited by xxrated; 01-29-2016 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode