my first ever track day...!!! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: black GSX-R 1000 K6
Garage
my first ever track day...!!!

what an experience! It was all I imagined it would be.focusing on riding without any distractions.

my first goal was to feel the track.I wanted to learn it turn by turn.so at some point I decided to not change any gears and go through the whole track on third.It was a distraction for my begginers level and I wanted to dedicate my whole attention to the racing line.I was lucky enough to have the track almost for myself as it was a Monday morning.I managed to do 4 sessions and about 50 laps.

the following video is my last lap of the day.I see plenty of room for improvement.I just might have become track addict.I caught myself searching for fiberglass fairings on ebay.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX-R 750 K1
Garage
Re: my first ever track day...!!!

Awesome! It's easy in hindsight to see where you could do better, but I'm sure at the time you felt close to the limit. Where you using semi-slicks or just your road tyres?

I hope to do this sometime in the near future. Looks great fun!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad2mny View Post
Awesome! It's easy in hindsight to see where you could do better, but I'm sure at the time you felt close to the limit. Where you using semi-slicks or just your road tyres?

I hope to do this sometime in the near future. Looks great fun!

Road tires. Michelin pp3. I really can't wait to be back there again! Unfortunately winter is just around the corner...
Ad2mny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Had a bike back in the day.

Welcome to the obsession
Giorgio_Rp likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 AM
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....

For your first TD, you're clearly trying to hit your apexes and use the whole track for the most part. Many first-timers appear to be riding around aimlessly.

I keep watching your right hand / brake fingers for the first 5-6 shifts - they look 'busier' than they should. I never bothered with quick-turn throttle mods but I don't think I had to work as hard as hard as that to get the full range of motion on the gas.

EDIT: Highsides are a bitch. Don't run-out and get a quick-turn without at least considering that less range of motion equates to more finesse required when getting on the gas exiting turns, ESPECIALLY on bikes with tons of grunt on-tap (like the k5-6 1000). My rear stepped-out on me regularly as rubber wore-out but I'm so lazy that I'd usually come onto straights at 6-7K rpm..... and I'd never chop the gas when it happened.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Congrats on the successful day (meaning you didn't crash), and welcome to the only thing in the world that makes a drug addiction seem inexpensive.

I will watch the video when I get home and give you some pointers.

Just so you know, don't go rushing to buy shit. Take the stock stuff as far as you can, and only upgrade when you absolutely need to.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
For your first TD, you're clearly trying to hit your apexes and use the whole track for the most part. Many first-timers appear to be riding around aimlessly.

I keep watching your right hand / brake fingers for the first 5-6 shifts - they look 'busier' than they should. I never bothered with quick-turn throttle mods but I don't think I had to work as hard as hard as that to get the full range of motion on the gas.

EDIT: Highsides are a bitch. Don't run-out and get a quick-turn without at least considering that less range of motion equates to more finesse required when getting on the gas exiting turns, ESPECIALLY on bikes with tons of grunt on-tap (like the k5-6 1000). My rear stepped-out on me regularly as rubber wore-out but I'm so lazy that I'd usually come onto straights at 6-7K rpm..... and I'd never chop the gas when it happened.
thanks!

maybe it's the way my hand is positioned on the throttle grip for transitions from off to on throttle through the turns.I don't remember being distracted by turning it that much,it felt natural.seing it on the video I would comment on it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Congrats on the successful day (meaning you didn't crash), and welcome to the only thing in the world that makes a drug addiction seem inexpensive.

I will watch the video when I get home and give you some pointers.

Just so you know, don't go rushing to buy shit. Take the stock stuff as far as you can, and only upgrade when you absolutely need to.
thanks

I was searching for fiberglass fairings for the unfortunate event of a crash wich ,I guess, is pretty common on begginer track day riders.oem fairings are too expensive!

I'm considering on investing in a motorcycle trailer,track day tires and maybe warmers for starters.as far as performance parts,they will be bought when and if I ever reach a certain level of riding skills.

waiting for your comments.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
MotoGP

Garage

You don't need trck day tires or warmers yet. I have taken regular Pilot Powers up to mid-pack advanced group pace on a K5 1000 in Texas heat, so you aren't lacking for grip I am sure.

A trailer is good, a pop-up canopy, a comfy chair, tools, and a cooler full of water, sports drinks, protein bars, and healthy food is all you need.
Giorgio_Rp likes this.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 k5

Looks pretty good to me. Seemed smooth except the one moment over the rumble strip. Your lean angle seems decent and a smooth transition between leaned over and coming up. I think I noticed one time your front slipped out slightly? Otherwise, nice riding. Did you have your knee down?

On a side note, you guys seem to have decent tracks with good tar, and many bends compared to our one and only bumpy Killarney here in Cape Town.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5cpt View Post
Looks pretty good to me. Seemed smooth except the one moment over the rumble strip. Your lean angle seems decent and a smooth transition between leaned over and coming up. I think I noticed one time your front slipped out slightly? Otherwise, nice riding. Did you have your knee down?

On a side note, you guys seem to have decent tracks with good tar, and many bends compared to our one and only bumpy Killarney here in Cape Town.

That was the most obvious of my mistakes through that lap.

No the front never slipped.

Yes but that's no big deal to me,just an indication of lean angle. I have a lot of work to do on bp.

Yes the track is awesome . It's Greece's only real track.It has tons of traction available.It was resurfaced a couple of years ago.There was a problem with the racing line where it started ripping apart but they patched it (obvious in the video).they've done a very good job.I am lucky enough to have it at less than 100 miles away (145 km).I am stupid for not visiting it a lot earlier.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio1000 View Post
That was the most obvious of my mistakes through that lap.

No the front never slipped.

Yes but that's no big deal to me,just an indication of lean angle. I have a lot of work to do on bp.

Yes the track is awesome . It's Greece's only real track.It has tons of traction available.It was resurfaced a couple of years ago.There was a problem with the racing line where it started ripping apart but they patched it (obvious in the video).they've done a very good job.I am lucky enough to have it at less than 100 miles away (145 km).I am stupid for not visiting it a lot earlier.
1m36 you hit rumble strip. 1m40 it looks like you lost a bit of traction on front or back wheel. I asked if your knee was down because the lean angle tells me you either got knee down or close to touching. Remember knee down is less bike angle and safer than no knee down.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:38 AM
MotoGP

Garage

For your first day you looked good!

Your hands weren't in a death grip, which is very important, and you seemed to control the bike well. Your line was good as well. You weren't riding over your head, and you seem comfortable.

Got any stills so we can see your body position?
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Thanks!

Unfortunately there were no photographers present at the time so no stills.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Hey Anthony or anybody else,
What pressure would you recommend for the Michelin pp3?
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 AM
Amateur

I run rear 1.8 bar and front 2.0 bar on track. On road I use manufacturer spec and am happy with it which is 2.9 bar for the rear and 2.5 bar for the front.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:40 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
Hey Anthony or anybody else,
What pressure would you recommend for the Michelin pp3?
For commuting I would stay at 38psi or above f&r.

For spritited street riding, try 34-36psi.

For track use, you can go as low as 30psi without too much of an issue. Anything lower than that and it will overheat and get greasy depending on your pace.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
For commuting I would stay at 38psi or above f&r.

For spritited street riding, try 34-36psi.

For track use, you can go as low as 30psi without too much of an issue. Anything lower than that and it will overheat and get greasy depending on your pace.

I am only interested in track use,no commuting .. And it seems like no spirited street riding too from now on. Seems pointless ...
I just wanna use them while learning the track. Maybe for the next 2-3 track days.

Thanks Ant.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Had a bike back in the day.

Quote:
I am only interested in track use,no commuting .. And it seems like no spirited street riding too from now on. Seems pointless ...
I just wanna use them while learning the track. Maybe for the next 2-3 track days.

Thanks Ant.
Yup. After blitzing around a track being a hooligan on the street doesn't hold much value. I stopped riding on the street entirely during my track years.
Giorgio_Rp likes this.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Ok, well if you are serious about track riding, here is what you need to do.

Things you will need:

A friend
A good tire pressure gauge

Set your cold pressures to your normal starting point. Have your friend wait on hot pit with the tire pressure gauge, and go out for a session, after like 4 hot laps, come onto hot pit, and immediately have your friend check your tire pressures. You should see like a 3-5psi increase. If you see more than that, you are running too low of a pressure. If you see less than that you either aren't running fast enough to get heat into the tires, or your starting pressure is too high.

Hope that helps, and gets you started in the right direction.
Giorgio_Rp likes this.

Used to race, used to be fast, won a few championships.

"Anyone who believes that slow and steady wins the race has never been in a race" - Me

Rest in peace Dad... I love you, and I miss you. 05.18.43 - 10.11.10
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Ok, well if you are serious about track riding, here is what you need to do.

Things you will need:

A friend

A good tire pressure gauge

Set your cold pressures to your normal starting point. Have your friend wait on hot pit with the tire pressure gauge, and go out for a session, after like 4 hot laps, come onto hot pit, and immediately have your friend check your tire pressures. You should see like a 3-5psi increase. If you see more than that, you are running too low of a pressure. If you see less than that you either aren't running fast enough to get heat into the tires, or your starting pressure is too high.

Hope that helps, and gets you started in the right direction.

That's what I'm talking about...!!!! A number by itself does not help but this,this is valuable info. Working methodically in every aspect is what I intend to do.

Thanks again Ant, you've been really helpful!

I hope you'll be patient enough to comment on my "concerns" whenever needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode