Slick tires...Shelf Life? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR750DOG
Question Slick tires...Shelf Life?

Hello Folks,
Quick question, I have a set of Dunlop Slick tires for about 6 to 7 yrs old stored Indoor in the Bay Area California. I would like to check in here if you guys have any thoughts. They are stored w/o the rims.

Really need some help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Master Debater

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R750 oil boiler, 92 CB750, 08 CBR1000RR, 2011 BMW R1200GS, 12 CBR250R
Re: Slick tires...Shelf Life?

4 years if stored indoors, no more! People may still want them for their display or collector bike. Don't even think about riding on them though!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:31 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJesus View Post
4 years if stored indoors, no more! People may still want them for their display or collector bike. Don't even think about riding on them though!
+1

Hell, I wouldn't use a tire more than 2 years old, especially at track speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Would you mind sharing me where you get the 4yr shelf life information? Any particular web source I could look into and review would certainly help me. Thanks
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM
MotoGP

Garage

Just talk to any trackside tire vendor... They will tell you.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Master Debater

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R750 oil boiler, 92 CB750, 08 CBR1000RR, 2011 BMW R1200GS, 12 CBR250R

Yeah my old broken bones will tell you about the 4 year limit...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
+1

Hell, I wouldn't use a tire more than 2 years old, especially at track speeds.
I hear ya, I don't go over 3 years personally just to be safe. You can really never go wrong at 2 years.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Master Debater

I feel like a broken record... For what it's worth to whoever reads this you shouldn't run your street tires over the 4 year mark either.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJesus View Post
I feel like a broken record... For what it's worth to whoever reads this you shouldn't run your street tires over the 4 year mark either.
I have a race take off SC2 Supercorsa dot xx09 rear on the street wheel, I did a few trackdays, it's been to Assen and back and still has plenty of grip. On the track I currently have some xx11 Dunlop UK slicks and no problems with grip, all are race take offs. You must have bad rubber on the other side of the pond.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
I have a race take off SC2 Supercorsa dot xx09 rear on the street wheel, I did a few trackdays, it's been to Assen and back and still has plenty of grip. On the track I currently have some xx11 Dunlop UK slicks and no problems with grip, all are race take offs. You must have bad rubber on the other side of the pond.
Either bad rubber or we all just suck or our tire vendors don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Pick a reason...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Or they just want to sell more tires...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Master Debater

Quote:
Quote:
Compounds harden dangerously after a few years. Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't mean you're not risking your life! The problem is you don't know how bad the compound has gotten until it lets go without warning in a fast turn. It may look good, it may feel good to the touch! Again my broken bones will tell you so. Get rid of those old tires JK750 we want to keep you around longer!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

^There are too many variables in the mix (how the tires are stored, climate, etc.) I'll change the tires when they need to be changed, I don't use a calendar for that.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Master Debater

Quote:
^There are too many variables in the mix (how the tires are stored, climate, etc.) I'll change the tires when they need to be changed, I don't use a calendar for that.
Don't be ridiculous, of course there are but as a general rule 3-4 years protects your neck! You sound just like me before my last big crash. Be careful buddy.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I am with JK750 on this one bro. For instance, why do people say that the Golden rule is to change your engine oil in your car every 3k miles? They say that has been the traditional way back in the days. Granted, it would not hurt your car but I still need to know why this is practiced. Obviously, the TECHNOLOGY had advanced and as well as the formula so I was skeptical with that rule.

Fortunately, I was able to work in the R&D lab for engine oil. I found out that the 3k miles rule is not applicable but it's still encourage, it is MARKET oriented.

IMO, the <4yr rule is a good rule and I will encourage that as well since I have no Lab based background to support my cynical brain.

I am still curious though, where did that 4yr rule came from?

GSXR750DOG
2K YEL/ BLK....GIXXER FIRST B4 ANYTHING ELSE......

Last edited by GSXR750DOG; 08-14-2015 at 04:07 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 05:27 PM
MotoGP

Garage

You are out of your minds running a tire that old on a sportbike at any speeds, let alone track speeds.

Fuck that noise, $400 tires are cheaper than a crash.

Talk to any racer/track day coach/trackside tire vendor (even those you don't buy your tires from) and they will all tell you the same thing.

A 6-year old tire at track pace at Assen? You must be slow as hell for that to have actually worked.
dLegend82 likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
In case you didn't notice I was being sarcastic because you always seem to post something contrary, so I was giving you a list of imaginary reasons to pick from.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR750DOG View Post
I am with JK750 on this one bro. For instance, why do people say that the Golden rule is to change your engine oil in your car every 3k miles? They say that has been the traditional way back in the days. Granted, it would not hurt your car but I still need to know why this is practiced. Obviously, the TECHNOLOGY had advanced and as well as the formula so I was skeptical with that rule.

Fortunately, I was able to work in the R&D lab for engine oil. I found out that the 3k miles rule is not applicable but it's still encourage, it is MARKET oriented.

IMO, the <4yr rule is a good rule and I will encourage that as well since I have no Lab based background to support my cynical brain.

I am still curious though, where did that 4yr rule came from?
its actually law here in australia.... and it's because tyres harden over time, unless you store them in the perfect condition (which may include submersing them in a fluid), which will vary from tyre to tyre.
it's not a gimmic, and anyone on old tyres is an idiot, including me for not checking the tyre age on my gsx-r when i first bought it, and taking the guys word for them being 2 years old with 1000km on them, he was right about the 1000km bit, they looked brand new, and thats why i trusted him, but the 2 years was horseshit. they were 7 and 8 years old.

as for your oil comment, i disagree, at 3,000m/5,000km, most oils start breaking down, i know this from my own analysis and from working along side engine development teams at saab, bmw and suzuki.
the technology in oil has improved a lot over the years, but older oils actually held their detergency, lubrication and anti shear characteristics better due to the chemical compounds being legal, however the engine technology lacked.
engines now seal better, use cleaner fuels, and have better oiling systems then they did 30-40 years ago.

long life oils designed for euro cars, that is a different kettle of fish, those oils will go the distance, quite comfortably, but an earlier change is still better. the less crap in an engine the better it will run, i've pulled down motors i've maintained since new with 300,000km on them and not a single mark on any bearing, in scope wear, a linish and hone then reassemble.

in fact almost every customer who will allow me to service on my scheduling it ends up costing them about 15% less to run in the long term even with my servicing costs included.

oh and another thing, oil that is over 6 months old, will most likely be polluted, unless the vehicle is kept in a pretty good environment. (low humidity, stable temp, non ethanol based fuels used, allowed to warm up for a proper amount of time before being driven etc)
dLegend82 likes this.

K3 60: Nicknamed; DROP SLUT - Killed by a suicidle kangaroo - nek minnit track bike
07 CBR1000RR - Dead thanks Mr Cager
L7 GSX-R 1000R - Black - Stock
XC Falcon Sedan (351, toploader, 9"),
97 MX5 - destroyed after rolling 6 times at 135kmh
saying of the day "give er' an Alabama Hot Pocket"
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
You are out of your minds running a tire that old on a sportbike at any speeds, let alone track speeds.

Fuck that noise, $400 tires are cheaper than a crash.

Talk to any racer/track day coach/trackside tire vendor (even those you don't buy your tires from) and they will all tell you the same thing.

A 6-year old tire at track pace at Assen? You must be slow as hell for that to have actually worked.
Who said anything about riding at Assen or any track.I said there and back. Jeesus was talking about street tires. In general you really like to jump to conclusions without knowing.

I was just saying that if an old dot race tire works on the street, then a street tire shouldn't have any problem.
copied from another forum-

I spoke with a Pirelli rep on the phone yesterday. Got the "official" recommended shelf life for their tires...

Street tires, including the Diablos and Diablo Corsas - 5 - 7 years.

Last edited by -JK750-; 08-15-2015 at 03:15 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 AM
MotoGP

Garage

Quote:
I have a race take off SC2 Supercorsa dot xx09 rear on the street wheel, I did a few trackdays, it's been to Assen and back and still has plenty of grip.
This sentence here sounds to me like you took a tire from '09 amd rode it at Assen. Does it not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode