Track prep - convenience tips - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Track prep - convenience tips

I started doing track days last year and of course, I'm hooked. 2011 GSX-R750. Not being a guy who's penny-wise and pound-foolish, I've done all I can to protect my bike should I go down.

I refuse to put my $$$$$$ stock bodywork at risk so I invested in some race glass. Also did case savers and frame sliders.

I also came across a good deal on some take-off slicks, which are not only awesome, they allow me to preserve my street tires.

What all this means is that every time I go to the track, I have to spend a day transforming the bike into a track toy. Then I have to do the whole thing in reverse to get the bike back to street trim. This is not that hard, but it gets old.

In hopes that it helps someone out, here are a few shortcuts I've come up with over time. If you have any, please share. Always looking to make life easier:

- Only undo what you actually need to. Instead of moving your windshield over to the track glass, buy a used one and leave it mounted.

- Dedicate a cardboard box to tail bodywork. There are LOTS of pieces... keep 'em all in one place. Keep all your factory body fasteners in a jar for the same reason.

- Unbolt the rear cross brace from the subframe and turn it over. Your tail will fit better. Mark the piece (this side up, this end forward) so you don't have to remember which way it goes back on.

- Use zipties to fasten bodywork wherever possible instead of factory hardware.

- Mark which screws you need to undo with a spot of white paint.

- On my bike you have to undo 11 nail-breaking electrical connectors just to get the effin' front fairing off. Hit up ebay and buy a set of ram air tubes, along with a front wiring harness. Mount these permanently to the race fairing. That way you can leave the harness plugged into the factory fairing... just undo the dash, turn signals and steering damper.

- If you have track tires, buy a second set of wheels (with discs). They cost, but you won't have to pay for tire mounting or do it yourself. It also gives you the ability to take your street tires with you if the weather forecast is iffy.

- Write down the torque specs for wheel nuts/fork pinch bolts/brake caliper bolts and tape it to your track stands so you don't have to look anything up.

I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care.

Last edited by adouglas; 07-28-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 PM
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....

Re: Track prep - convenience tips

damn, I just take off my mirrors, unplug the headlight, make my 'custom' masking tape number plates and voilà.. track bike! (avatar)

I rode for years of track days on 3 bikes like this. Never scratched a one of 'em, knock wood.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:06 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Most of what you said could be forgotten if you just buy a dedicated track bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah buddy!!

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 600 trackbike

^ Agree
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Most of what you said could be forgotten if you just buy a dedicated track bike...
Truth.

I have room in my garage for two motorcycles.

I do not have room in my marriage for two motorcycles.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
damn, I just take off my mirrors, unplug the headlight, make my 'custom' masking tape number plates and voilà.. track bike! (avatar)

I rode for years of track days on 3 bikes like this. Never scratched a one of 'em, knock wood.
Now that you've said it, you're doomed as doomed can be.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Track Day Winner

zip ties? um no...dzus fasteners. your list seems like too much work but I have a dedicated track bike (r6). also Id never put frame sliders on a track bike. ive seen them catch and dirt and rather than just keep sliding, it catches and flips the bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

I believe the best solution has already been presented.....dedicated track bike!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K7 600
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyyo24 View Post
zip ties? um no...dzus fasteners. your list seems like too much work but I have a dedicated track bike (r6). also Id never put frame sliders on a track bike. ive seen them catch and dirt and rather than just keep sliding, it catches and flips the bike.
Truth, this happened to me on my first track day. Lowsided on the left side, bike slid through the turn, slider caught when it hit the dirt, bike flipped and smashed up the fairing and slider on the right. That said, the fairing on the left would have been ruined if I hadn't had the slider, so the end result may not have been much different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode