Texas Oct 4 Eagles Canyon Raceway - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: ZX-10R
Garage
Texas Oct 4 Eagles Canyon Raceway

Just seeing if anyone here will be attending this event https://www.ridesmart.info/secure/cart.php?gid=188

I, along with a good friend, will be taking our first track day in the novice group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '14 Victory XC, '09 750
Re: Texas Oct 4 Eagles Canyon Raceway

I'll be there with a local buddy. We'll be riding N on Sat, being that it's our first time to this track, and I on Sun. You'll like ridesmart, they're a solid organization.

Grey F-250 pulling a Black 750 with black tape and black ZX-6 with orange tape.

Alex
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Sweet will look out for ya.

We will be the squids with a uhaul f150 pulling a trailer with my 2013 red/white gsxr 600 and his 2012 black gsxr 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
The Husbeast

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 750 X2 (one street, one track), KTM 520sx SuMo, '11 CBR250R, Oh, and my wife.

Have fun guys! Welcome to your new addiction
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Just posting up my checklist for Saturday. If anyone knows of some good things I am leaving off please let me know.
My checklist does not include bike prep because it will be done before Saturday.
  • Gas can filled with gas
  • Snacks
    • Chips
    • Protein/granola bars
    • Bottled water and Gatorade
    • Beef jerky
  • Bike tool kit, extra tape, torque wrench
  • Oil and brake fluid? Is this necessary?
  • Air pressure guage
  • Bike stands
  • Notepad to take notes with
  • Lawn chairs
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Shop paper towels
  • Money/cash
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses

Couple of questions.

Will I be wearing my track suit the entire time? Or should I bring some extra clothes (shirts/shorts/etc...)
Do you recommend dri fit shirt/underwear underneath the leather track suit?

Any help would be appreciated!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
The Husbeast

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 750 X2 (one street, one track), KTM 520sx SuMo, '11 CBR250R, Oh, and my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
Just posting up my checklist for Saturday. If anyone knows of some good things I am leaving off please let me know.
My checklist does not include bike prep because it will be done before Saturday.
  • Gas can filled with gas
  • Snacks
    • Chips
    • Protein/granola bars
    • Bottled water and Gatorade
    • Beef jerky
  • Bike tool kit, extra tape, torque wrench
  • Oil and brake fluid? Is this necessary? Not really but nice to have if you need them
  • Air pressure guage
  • Bike stands
  • Notepad to take notes with
  • Lawn chairs
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Shop paper towels
  • Money/cash
  • Sunscreen
  • Sunglasses
  • Spare bike keys

Couple of questions.

Will I be wearing my track suit the entire time? Or should I bring some extra clothes (shirts/shorts/etc...)
Do you recommend dri fit shirt/underwear underneath the leather track suit?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Under Armour/Dryfit is great under your leathers (don't call it a track suit, you're not going for a jog). They make it much easier to get in and out of the leathers.
You can wear your leathers all day between sessions if you like or you can get out of them if you like, that's up to you.
Pick up a 10'x10' popup at Walmart. You will not regret it, they are about $99 and will last you a couple years if you don't beat the crap out of it.

Have fun!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Thanks stoker!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2012 GSX-R750 | 2010 EX250R (dedicated track)

I'll be there too ... Corner working on Saturday and then riding Sunday. I'm taking my "new to me" 2010 EX250 and am so excited about finally getting to ride it. I had to buy it once I decided that I didn't have the heart to take my brand new 750 out there

Would be fun to meet ya'll and say HI but I'm not sure how I'd recognize you from all the other guys out there. I'll be one of the few girls and will be easy to spot on Saturday in my fluorescent yellow track worker T-shirt Shoot me a text if you want ... 469.879.2066.

Judi
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Judi I'll keep an eye out for you and say hi when I see you.

That kawi is gonna be a heck of a lot of fun out there, you're gonna have a blast.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Track Day Winner

Grab some 10 lb weights and tie them to the legs of your canopy. If you have a portable air tank bring it, it's much easier than running to the tire guy when you need air. You will need to be suited up for the riders meeting but no need to run around in your leathers prior to that. There's not really enough time between sessions with their structure to be going in and out of your leathers. Bring ALOT of water, enough to drink a bottle between every session and then some. Are you guys camping? We plan on being there around 8-9ish to set up camp.

Alex
501-749-6824
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Provisional Novice

See ya'll there!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

No camping for us, we plan on arriving early Saturday morning and trucking back that evening.

Since this is our first event we dont know what to expect.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
No camping for us, we plan on arriving early Saturday morning and trucking back that evening.

Since this is our first event we dont know what to expect.
So are you only riding the one day or are you driving back Sunday morning? You're going to want to ride both days ... just sayin ...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
The Husbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERricane View Post
So are you only riding the one day or are you driving back Sunday morning? You're going to want to ride both days ... just sayin ...
True story guys, if you are driving for more than a couple hours it makes it more worth the travel and cost. I'm pretty sure you will be sticking around for the second day once you get going

EDIT: Bring an air matress, some sleeping bags and a tarp to throw over and secure to the truck box. You know, just in case.

Just remember to take it easy for the morning at least and learn the track. There isn't a prize at the end and the only way to "win" a track day is to not wad your shit.

Have a blast and be safe!!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2016 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Garage

I'll be there with a few folks from Shreveport, LA and San Antonion, tx Sunday
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Track Day Winner

It was good to meet you there Gunn. I set what I think is a pretty solid personal best on sun, 2:13.59. If we didn't have to give up turn 6, prob could have knocked a sec or two off that. I see this hobby getting expensive in my near future...extra wheels, slicks, warmers, stainless lines, ect. How'd you guys do?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Track day was absolutely a blast!!

We arrived Saturday morning about 7:30 and left ~4:30 that afternoon (we live less than an hour from the track).

Seeing all the people and bikes there was intimidating at first but after figuring out what to do and getting registered it was all gravy!!!

Instructors were great and I learned quite a bit. Since I am new to riding period (less than 8 months on the street) the class time was of immense value to me. Corner approach, entry, exit, apex were things I was vaguely aware of but the classes helped me get a full understanding. Body position, lean angle, head position, throttle control were things I desperately needed.

Started out the day very safe and timid. Taking the ride along with our instructors helped get me familiar with the track.

Second session I was in a group of riders with less than 1 year street experience. Instructor took turns following us and watching how we rode. He told me my lines were good but my body position needed work. Particularly my foot peg position. Needed to get my toes on the peg and knee out and get off the middle of my foot.

3rd session was kind of a wash. 2 red flags for the level 1's during this session. Seemed like people were riding a little to aggressive for their ability and the track conditions. I know I was riding a little too conservative but people were blowing past me like crazy.

Around 3rd session is also when corner 6 started going to pot.

4th session had another instructor ride with and evaluate. I forgot his name but he was the Scot. It was after lunch and the track was warm but I was still riding too timid. He told me I needed to "Give it the beans!!!!!".

5th session finally decided I was tired of getting passed so much and I needed to be more aggressive. On the first lap after turn 6 I "gave it the beans" and entered 7 with more speed that I thought I should. Instead of panic braking I mentally decided to just lean hard and hope I did not low side. Bike held like a champ and I completed 7 & 8 with more speed than I had all day. For the rest of the session I was finally getting confidence in taking corners with a little more speed. Instead of being passed over and over I was doing the passing.

We did not hang around for the last session because my friend and I were beat.

Absolutely the most fun I have ever hand on a motorized vehicle.

Will be doing many many more of these.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Provisional Novice

Hey Freak, Darby ... wish I could have met ya'll out there but I knew I would never remember truck/bike combinations once I was out there and sure enough, everyone looked the same to me and it all ran together. I was corner working Turn 11 on Saturday and was very busy with about 6 off-ons and 3 pretty good low-sides.

I only live about 2 hours from the track but grabbed a hotel in Decatur for the night. Rode the 250 on Sunday and had an absolute blast on it. Thanks to 20+ years of dirt riding, my body position needed a lot of work. Old habits are extremely hard to break but thank God I turned an important corner and by the end of the day was definitely headed in the right direction. The change to GP shift was much easier than I expected and I took to it like a duck to water with only a few mis-shifts. The whole turn 6 issue was a minor obstacle and it really didn't affect the fun factor for me at all. Got to pass several big bikes and that was a blast.

Can't wait for the next one!!!!

Oh yeah, your Scot instructor is Tony ... what a hoot he is. His fund raising Kilt laps were off the chain. I've never seen anyone ride that fast in a daggum skirt!!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Male Bunghole Expert

Motorcycle: 89 Honda NX 125; K7 600 (sold); 03 SV650 (sold)

Did they have a photographer out there? I remember looking at the pics after my first track day and thinking "wow, I thought I was leaning more than that!"
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Tony was hilarious, but damn the guy could ride and he knew his shit! GIVE IT THE BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

@cyclops, not sure about Sunday but, they had no photographer on Saturday. Kinda pissed me off cause I was counting on one being there to snap pics of me riding. Now all I have are some shitty cell phone pics of the grounds.

HERricane I remember seeing you several times especially if you were out there waiving the checkered flag in the morning sessions. It seemed like after lunch I don't remember seeing someone at turn 11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode