suspension still a bit stiff - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

suspension still a bit stiff

I've got a 2012 750r. When new, it was factory set very stiff. Both the front and rear were topped out. The bike was a bit edgy for me to ride it with confidence.

I tried set the sag to as compliant as the suspension would allow. The pre-load on the front forks is backed out all the way and the rear also backed off a good clip. I was only able to get approx 25mm front; and followed this with 20mm rear. I am 165#.

The bike is now quite a bit easier for me to handle. I can now feel it take a set in a corner. It is much less jittery at corner entry and I can get much more aggressive with the throttle at exit than before. The bike no longer wheelies, unless you try to.

Q: I understand that the Showa BPF's are different when it comes to setting spring pre-load. But, if the pre-load is adjusted all the way soft, then would the next step be to soften the fork spring rate?

Last edited by nwpinot; 09-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 09 gsxr 600
Re: suspension still a bit stiff

Fwiw, I got to say that is not heard of very often. Usually, it is the other way around. But, who knows who messed with it before you purchased it.

I had a similar issue with my new to me k9 600. I took it to traxxion dynamics today (suspension shop in my area) and set up my stockers. The front was ridiculously soft, and felt very light/twitchy when riding. Not very confidence inspiring. Preload ended being set about a half a turn out from all the way. Btw, I am 170# without gear.

The rear was actually over sprung (first for me, and the tuner. He measured a few times to be sure. This is my 6th gsxr) and we backed off preload to actually get some sag. Got it to about 28mm

Feels a ton better and balanced after rebound/comp tweaked.

To answer your question, yes you would need a spring rate for your weight if you cannot get a decent measurement within range.
I would confirm your measurements and technique with getting them first though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode