First trackday ever at Road America, Vid Inside - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

First trackday ever at Road America, Vid Inside

Just started riding this year, I've got an 07 GSX-R 600 with a m4 slip-on, and about 1500 miles of riding experience under my belt. Decided to go to a ZARS trackday at Road America with my cousin and a friend ('05 CBR600RR and '13 675R) Started off pretty slow and picked up the pace every session by the last one my cousin wanted to see if I could chase him down, unfortunately someone got between us in the pit lane making it alittle more difficult. I got passed him with a risky-ish pass on the front straight as he was passing someone as well. Any critiques welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAhG...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Overboosting; 08-19-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 AM
The Husbeast

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 750 X2 (one street, one track), KTM 520sx SuMo, '11 CBR250R, Oh, and my wife.
Re: First trackday ever at Road America, Vid Inside

Your are moving along pretty fast there. Pretty quick for your first time on track with so few miles under your ass. How many times did you say "oh shit" in your helmet? Are you going to listen when we all tell you to slow down and work on technique in stead of trying to go as fast as you can? I think you need to get some good coaching and slow down so you have enough attention left over to see where you are doing well and where you need work. You need work on your throttle control, be consistent with it, once you open it keep it open so your suspension stays in its happy place. I see potential but you need to do some learn'n son. Keep it up,
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I said oh shit a few times especially going into turn one. I could tell after watching the video that my throttle control could definetly be improved, I think I'll be hitting up one more trackday at a much smaller more technical track and hope to improve more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Well RA is essentially a bunch of huge straights strung together by a couple of less than technical corners.

I'd like to try it just once to say I rode it, but anyway. Obviously your corner entry/mid-corner/exit is where you'll want to focus your work...the rest of the track is just tuck in and yank the throttle open and wait. I mean obviously you are just a novice but its pretty clear that you are getting off the gas and rolling through the corners pretty gingerly. Get the race line down pat so that it just comes like second nature, even if that means slowing your overall pace down a tad. Hit those entry/apex/exits as clean as you can and then slowly bring your speed up. To me RA seems like a difficult place to practice since your mind is preoccupied so much with having the throttle pinned and then "oh wait, there's a corner coming up...." and the corners are separated by a lot of straightaway.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode