Frpnt end chatter on the track - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 600 2012 Ducati 848 Evo
Frpnt end chatter on the track

So I have been doing several track days this year and have been learning a ton. One thing I haven't been able to eliminate yet is this front end chatter that I experience on the straights at 100+ mph and hard braking when coming in from high speed. The chatter I feel is an up and down, high frequency feeling in the handlebars. My first track day/s were at RA and I just went with it for the two days and would figure it out after (the chatter was at its worst at RA). Once I got the bike back in the garage I replaced fork seals, fork oil and cleaned all the parts in a parts cleaner to get any crap out. I also took my front wheel to the shop to get rebalanced, which it did need. Next day at the track was at BIR and the chatter was still present but better than at RA. I paid a suspension guy to help me out throughout the day with damping and preload and we eventually completely preloaded the springs (which are stock) and although we got the chatter to reduce I could still feel it coming into corners fast and when hitting 100+. I believe the stock springs are ~.80 so I am going to jump up to .85 or .9. My question is whether doing more suspension tune will get rid of this chatter or if I need to rebuild my front brakes as well and replace worn rotors? I have not checked the rotors with a dial indicator yet but I figured some guys may have experienced this before or have heard of it to lead me in the right direction.

For more info I am running Bridgestone S20s and haven't ruled out a tire defect or mounting defect but I would lean toward the re balancing helped reduce the amount of chatter at that speed.

Also, going to the track has improved my riding 10 fold. My skills improve with each session (jumped to intermediate almost immediately) and now I just want to be confident in the bike to keep getting better. Any tribal knowledge passed along is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Re: Frpnt end chatter on the track

Just reading the first two paragraphs that doesn't sound like chatter. Sounds like warped or dirty disks.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Exactly Joe... Doesn't sound like chatter to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

That is one of two possible root causes in my opinion. For an intermediate rider, do you guys have any recommendations on new discs and pads? Possibly clean up the calipers?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckyplyr View Post
That is one of two possible root causes in my opinion. For an intermediate rider, do you guys have any recommendations on new discs and pads? Possibly clean up the calipers?
Your disks likely don't need replacing. Just a very good cleaning/sanding to remove buildup. It will look like dark spots or dull spots all over the disk.

Caliper cleaning I have a write up in the mods and how to section. Of the forum.

Pads for track use I use and prefer SBS dual carbon pads. Street use they have a good sintered pad too

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Your disks likely don't need replacing. Just a very good cleaning/sanding to remove buildup. It will look like dark spots or dull spots all over the disk.

Caliper cleaning I have a write up in the mods and how to section. Of the forum.

Pads for track use I use and prefer SBS dual carbon pads. Street use they have a good sintered pad too
Thanks for the info.

I will just do a quick check on the runout after a good cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode