Thinking of riding the track? - Page 5 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K6-1K
Re: Thinking of riding the track?

Have searched and found no clear answer. Nor did it state anywhere clearly in the NESBA manual... So...

"Can I Track with just a Permit?" "Or MUST I obtain my License?"

I'm one of those Noobs who just keep renewing their Permits every year... for the past 4 years why. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

No, at least I never did think you had to have a drivers license to run with NESBA. You just have to be at least 16 years old.
post #83 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K6-1K

Hmm.. That's cool. Anyone else second that or object? Just wanted to make sure before I schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Boredz Crackhead

Motorcycle: K9 600

All I saw when looking around was that you need a Photo ID. Shoot them an email? Might get a quicker response. Good luck on getting to the track.
post #85 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 06 GSX-R 1000

GREAT List, been Riding on the street for several years, been down once High Sided, got REAR ENDED YES! REAR ENDED by some MORON in MD but Im to blame LMAO its Cool so here I am looking into the Track Days scene, GEEKED on it pretty good! Cant wait to start doing it like several guys have said "after the Track less Street Riding" I can see that 1000% for me Im 45 got Little Kids I think it will be a AWESOME FAMILY thing to do!
post #86 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Track Day Winner

I am somewhat surprised no one mentioned the need for tire warmers and perhaps a generator to power it?
post #87 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 08 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
I am somewhat surprised no one mentioned the need for tire warmers and perhaps a generator to power it?
thats because its not needed for trackdays. I have personally run a street tire well into the advance group with no warmers. Warmers are nice, and necessary for some tires (DOT Race tires or Slicks) to work the way they were meant to but for the average trackday user they are not a necessity. Im not saying they cant be helpful but as far as a necessity to have to get to the track thats just not the case they are more of an accessory kinda like the latest and greatest rear shock (pick you favorite brand) its nice but not needed at all.
post #88 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingsk8r View Post
thats because its not needed for trackdays. I have personally run a street tire well into the advance group with no warmers. Warmers are nice, and necessary for some tires (DOT Race tires or Slicks) to work the way they were meant to but for the average trackday user they are not a necessity. Im not saying they cant be helpful but as far as a necessity to have to get to the track thats just not the case they are more of an accessory kinda like the latest and greatest rear shock (pick you favorite brand) its nice but not needed at all.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've done the same thing, made it to the advanced group on street tires. Street tires can be very good. I've run the range of tires from slicks to street tires, with and without warmers, rain and shine, on cold and hot days at the track. I had fun when I ran warmers and just as much when I didn't.
post #89 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM
TTD
Provisional Novice

Even "race" tires do not require warmers. You simply need to take a couple of laps to warm them up.

Warmers are a luxury - definitely not a necessity.

Many riders would benefity by taking a couple of "easy" laps to start every session anyway. As your tires are warming up, you can get your brain and body warmed up also.

Tire warmers are meant to provide racers the maximum grip they need from the first corner. In racing, you cannot afford to take an "easy" lap or two. At a trackday, you can afford to do it - and probably should.
post #90 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Even "race" tires do not require warmers. You simply need to take a couple of laps to warm them up.

Many riders would benefity by taking a couple of "easy" laps to start every session anyway. As your tires are warming up, you can get your brain and body warmed up also.

Tire warmers are meant to provide racers the maximum grip they need from the first corner. In racing, you cannot afford to take an "easy" lap or two. At a trackday, you can afford to do it - and probably should.
Bingo.
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Squid

I love my tire warmer. I don't have to wait more then two corner to hit it.
Two corner to make sure bike feels right.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Squid

But it is not needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsx-R 750 K7

I have read the first post, think I'm gonna open a factory in China instead

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
Da2ndplan likes this.
post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: KTM 1190 ADV, HD XR1200, GSX-R750
Garage

Some clubs have a no passing rule for the first lap or two in the novice group. I would expect a good race tire may actually cool down during these slow laps, especially if the first two laps are on a cold spring morning. In contrast, a street tire will heat up even under these conditions.
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000

Awesome info on here thanks everyone. much appreciated.
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post

My tire guy says true race rubber requires warmers. If you go out on them cold, it's not so much of a grip issue as it is a wear issue. You have to stress the tire to warm it up, and stress on a cold tire sheds rubber. Race rubber is also more sensitive to heat cycles. So yeah, you don't really need warmers, but you'll get more life out of your tire if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
Some clubs have a no passing rule for the first lap or two in the novice group. I would expect a good race tire may actually cool down during these slow laps, especially if the first two laps are on a cold spring morning. In contrast, a street tire will heat up even under these conditions.
Every organizer I ride with does a standing yellow for the first two laps of the first session in every group and most do it on the second session as well. No passing under yellow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode