Thinking of riding the track? - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K6 750, 04 Raptor, Vento "fast" triton moped & 02 GSXR 600 telefonica
Re: Thinking of riding the track?

Thanx for the info. I'm 24 and have owned a sportbike since 16. Will be doing my first track day this spring!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Great list of tips.

But, I have issues!!! Well, nevermind those, but here are a few addendums. I've done 50+ track days, and there are some things here that are a little different in my experience.

1) Race fuel is a waste of money unless you're motor is specifically tuned for it. Personally, I think it's a waste of money until you're vying for a top 5 finish. I would avoid buying a used race bike that is tuned for it, as it will add a lot of expense to your track day. You burn much more gas and turn a lot more laps doing track days than racing.
2) I've never heard that leaving hot tires touching the ground matters at all. Anyone care to inform further on this one?
3) I've never heard of any warping of rotors attributable to leaving them in one position while hot.
4) The primary purpose of safety wire is to keep your bike mechanically sound, and your fluids off the ground, not so much to keep a loose bolt from hitting someone.

Other tips
1) Start drinking extra water for two days before your event. The body learns to retain more. Drink frequently, but in small amounts.
2) As someone mentioned, sunscreen is a must, even on overcast days.
3) Lots of snacks during the day are helpful.
4) If there are any trees, those can be a good place to pit under on a sunny day.
5) Arrive early so you don't have to rush too much.
6) Try to fit in a good breakfast if you can. You'll need all the energy you can muster, especially during your first days at the track. Get as much sleep as you can in the days prior.
7) If you want coaching from the staff, you generally have to speak up and specifically ask for it. They will tend to focus on the people making the worst mistakes. If you are doing ok, they probably won't approach you. They don't mind a bit if you ask them for help, but sometimes it's up to you to ask.
8) Fill your tank before you arrive, then bring the gas can too.

These are just a few extra things to throw in when you're planning things out.
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: Luis

I'm going to my first track day ever on April 18th at Streets of Willow. http://www.mtctrackday.com/

I've been riding since August of 2005. I have a 2005 GSX-R 750. I've only put 5,000 miles on my bike, mostly canyon riding through LA Crest, Molhulland, and Ojai. I'm still a total though. It's cool, i'm 29 and always ride within my limits. I just started getting confortable with leaning off the bike. I realized how much easier it is to turn with your ass of the seat.

anyways. My bike is in excellent condition. All I have to do to my bike I guess is tape up the lights and take of my plate, and fill her up. I'll probably go buy a K&N air filter and get an oil change before I go as well.

Thanks for everyones advice. I can't wait

You wanna see how much of a i am. go to http://www.gotcanyons.net/luis.htm that's me with 4,000 miles riding experience. It totaly shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Ummm, not a Suzuki for now

My $0.02... if you you've never been to the track before and are worried about being out of your element volunteer as a corner worker. It gives you a good chance to talk to folks, you get familiar with how things are run, and you get one of the best seats in the house. Most amatuer organizations are always open to volunteers. Oh, and the entrance is free and they usually provide a lunch for you.
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K6

seems like a lot of time and effort. to bad you cant just put on full gear and fill up your bike with gas. I'm no mladin and i know it but i thought it could be fun to go to the track and see what its all about, but if you have to do half this stuff its not worth it to ME. Thanks for taking the time to put this thread up. Have respect for all you guys who go.
Da2ndplan likes this.
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000

Perfect checklist. Great job!!!

If someone hasn't added it yet, be sure to get a good night's rest the night before. Try to finish working on the bike before supper so you can relax. Not really a requirement but it helps in making the following day much more enjoyable.
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-R 750

I'm going to my first track day ever on April 18th at Streets of Willow. http://www.mtctrackday.com/

I've been riding since August of 2005. I have a 2005 GSX-R 750. I've only put 5,000 miles on my bike, mostly canyon riding through LA Crest, Molhulland, and Ojai. I'm still a total though. It's cool, i'm 29 and always ride within my limits. I just started getting confortable with leaning off the bike. I realized how much easier it is to turn with your ass of the seat.

anyways. My bike is in excellent condition. All I have to do to my bike I guess is tape up the lights and take of my plate, and fill her up. I'll probably go buy a K&N air filter and get an oil change before I go as well.

Thanks for everyones advice. I can't wait

You wanna see how much of a i am. go to http://www.gotcanyons.net/luis.htm that's me with 4,000 miles riding experience. It totaly shows.
The crazy part is when you find out how much width and space you have on track vs canyon, you'll wonder why you're risking your life and ? whether or not you should be pushing hard in the canyons.

Also, being fast in the canyons doesn't equal fast lap times at all. It's a totally humbling experience which has me coming back for more. I still ride canyons but I know my limits and save it for the track.

Streets should be lots of fun especially for your 750. Be sure to post some pics if you can. Have fun!!
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: k6 600 Track Bike

great write up... thanks
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 1000

Read through this post. Good writeups.

What kind of tape do people use? - I used painter's tape, worked well and didn't leave residue even with lights on.
Any sponsors sell oil drain & fill caps predrilled? A safety wire kit maybe.

Last edited by GixxerDragon; 09-14-2006 at 07:09 AM.
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Squid

http://www.mcvids.com/videos/misc/nesba_small.wmv

I think this cover the whole track day experience....

Enjoy
post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2005 gsxr 1000

very good vid
post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Track Day Winner

That video was exactly what I needed, THANK YOU VIPER! I ride the streets now but haven't really fully enjoyed my bike. I do not ride hard at all but rather just have enjoyed the cruise of the gixxer. I have a 2005 so perhaps when I pay it off, I'm going to take the tags off and take her to the track. It should only be another two years. I would like to put some more experience under my belt before I track it anyways so it works out perfectly. Thanks again for this thread guys!
post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Track Day Winner

what track requires race body work for a track day?..or safety wire for that matter?
i know of assosiations that require saftey wire etc for the race group but not for guys in beginner/intermediate...
post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: k6 600 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJackal
what track requires race body work for a track day?..or safety wire for that matter?
i know of assosiations that require saftey wire etc for the race group but not for guys in beginner/intermediate...
you can go stock to a track day.. as long as you tape up your lights and unplug them.... but check out the rules at your local tracks
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by V i p e r
http://www.mcvids.com/videos/misc/nesba_small.wmv

I think this cover the whole track day experience....

Enjoy
i don't like the commentator...
post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgixxer600
you can go stock to a track day.. as long as you tape up your lights and unplug them.... but check out the rules at your local tracks
lol yes, i know. i think you may have mis read my post...
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K6 1K, stolen, now K5 1K

I think that the video was very good for someone who knows nothing about what to expect at the track and for those who aren't sure if it is the right thing for them. For some it may seem elementary, but you can always get something out of anything educational.

I am 37 years old, I have been riding for about 6 years. I am just now getting the bug for the track. I have been talking about it for 2 years, but am just now getting to do it. I have an K3 1K and i just stripped all the plastics and lights off of it 2 days ago. I am looking to get a set of used race plastics to go out and toy around with.

I am a little nervous about getting out there only because it is something new. I have pushed my bike so hard on the street, that I need to get on the track before I kill myself out in traffic.

Quite frankly, I can't wait to get out there. Racing on the freeway and the streets doesn't come with umbrella girls.

I'm not claiming to be the fastest...but you have to prove that I'm not.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R750 K7

very good beginner video...

thanks for sharing...
post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000

if possible...

Trailer your bike to the track.
Invest in a fibreglass fairing.
Invest in a pair of 'mushrooms' or 'oggy knobs' (priceless).
post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: race 04 600/'06 gix 1k/'03 KX65/'06 R6/'07 750 #315

i love keeping old threads alive haha

started hitting the track seriously in March of 2005

haven't looked back. basically gave up street riding for a year, and now i have a street bike just go to work and back on for the gas prices and parking I get with a bike. 33 trips to the track in 2.5yrs and 7 wrecks

Last edited by gimpsta; 10-28-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode