Thinking of riding the track? - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:30 AM
Squid

Re: Thinking of riding the track?

NESBA runs 3 groups, in the beginer and Int classes u dont have to wire, just tape/remove glass/headlights and put a number on. in fact, u can try NESBA for FREE! You can sign up for a track day and do the first 2 x20 min sessions on the track, wont cost ya a penny go to the web site, sign up!
we are at VIr mid march, barber at the end of march
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Sexy Irish Man God

Motorcycle: 2001 SV 650 Racebike, the street is for pussies

Quote:
catfish77 said:

Almost forgot, one more question. Someone had told me that you have to hvae a special oil filter, is this so? They said something about it having to be taped, maybe for a drain? Hell if I know the reason.
I am guessing they are talking about the K&N oil filter that is fabbed to be saftey wired already. You can also just take a hose clamp on a OEM oil filter and saftey wire it from there.
Other than that they could be talking about race lowers. Basically on race skins your lower has a built in resivoir that will hold 3 quarts or more of liquid so if your drain plug or oil filter come loose you will not be puking oil all over the race track.
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: Brian

Thanks for all of the help guys! I just reread my post and I sounded like an idiot. It was hard for me to follow the post and I wrote the damn thing. I was jumping all over the place and not makeing much sence (spelling ). Somehow though, yall managed to answer exactly what I was asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Tony Dumaine

Wow what a great post!!

I'm going to print this up and use it as my new checklist!

Very good!!

Thanks Flesh

Peace
Dumax
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Expert

Wow, you guys have it rough over there in the states, over here in the UK we just roll up to the pit lane and have our group allocation checked and we ride out, there's none of this modifications to the bike malarky. Some tape up their lights, but it's a hassle disconnecting everything so most don't bother.
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K4 1000 K6 1000

I did my first track day yesterday at Eastern Creek.
First session-apprehensive
Second session- started to get into it
Next four sessions-No explanation required.
Getting my susspension tuned for my wieght tomorrow.
Cannot wait to get back there.
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Amateur

Location: Lynnwood, Washington Mods:K&N, Factory Jet kit, RS3 full exhaust, Sprockets, 520 chain, etc
Motorcycle: 96Gixx7Fitty

yeah, this is a great write up indeed Jon. I will use it for future track outings as a good list.
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 02 gix six

This is quite possibly the best thread I have read on this site!!! I have been thinking about doing a trackday, but was pretty apprehensive, as I am squidly and would feel stupid out there. I don't think I can afford to get into it right now, but at least I have more of a heads up on what I need to be ready. I think I'll try to go watch 1 or 2 before I ride... now I just need to find one around here (Waco, TX).

Thanks guys,
TEX
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Superbike

Motorcycle: Bikes are all sold..

Quote:
TXGIXXER750 said:
This is quite possibly the best thread I have read on this site!!! I have been thinking about doing a trackday, but was pretty apprehensive, as I am squidly and would feel stupid out there. I don't think I can afford to get into it right now, but at least I have more of a heads up on what I need to be ready. I think I'll try to go watch 1 or 2 before I ride... now I just need to find one around here (Waco, TX).

Thanks guys,
TEX
Try this... http://www.cmraracing.com/2002web/TWS.htm
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: naterichmond

Another great Track Day organization worth checking out is Sportbike Track Time. We provide full instruction for the day for novice riders with minimal bike prep as well. We do track days all over the U.S. Go to www.sportbiketracktime.com or click the link for more info. Also feel free to E-mail me for any further questions.
Anyone looking for any good reading material on riding techniques, check out Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" series of books. They are well worth the read.

Sportbike Track Time web page
[email protected]
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Amateur

around how much does a track day cost and how long do they usually last? Thanx
post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 98 B/W Gixxer 600

Thanks for the write up Flesh. Seeing a live AMA race for the first time just recently got me thinking that I really need to do a track day. This info helps a lot.
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: GixxerTib

Quote:
around how much does a track day cost and how long do they usually last? Thanx
Well normally you have to join a club such as Nesba or Team Promotion which using runs from $0 - 500 ( Nesba is $75, Team Promotion depends on the package you want to sign up for ). Then trackdays normally are $140-200 depend on the track. Longer nicer tracks tend to run a few $$'s more.

Nesba does run a Intro program where you can go and do 2 - 20min sessions for free and possibly purchase the rest of the day if you like it. I suggest doing a full trackday because you won't want to leave once you do a session but if your unsure try the free intro program.
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Squid

My first track day was at VIR at the end of May and I had a blast! I saw some riders riding over their heads (and some wound up on their heads). Take your time the first few sessions, and you'll get faster as the day progresses.
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Mama Bear

Motorcycle: Officially Bikeless :(

I want to do a track day so bad but after reading this post I have to say I feel a little overwhelmed I have never done my own wrenching, I have no way to transport my bike short of riding it there etc etc. Ha I don't even have race stands. I guess track days cost more than the track fee in the end.

...much later

Ok I take that back, i went ahead and read the NESBA Rider's Manual and I gotta doa track day
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Squid

What are the best tracks in the southeast? I heard Barber in Birmingham was good. Any other favorites?
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Squid

This website has links to most, or possibly all, of the tracks in the US. http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/trackinfo.html

I've only been to Jennings, so I can't compare it to other tracks, but I had an awesome time there and I only remember hearing good comments from people that have been to other tracks. It's nothing fancy, just the bare necessities and other people who love riding. You can learn a lot from (or teach a lot to) your fellow riders - there aren't any grandstands, so you can just mingle with everyone in the pit whether you're a rider or a spectator.
Don't worry about having all the toys that the experienced riders have (like fully decked out mobile service stations). My hubby and i just borrowed a tiny trailer from our bike mechanic, had our bikes prepped (just the minimum like taping, remove mirrors, etc. - nothing special), packed water and sandwiches and headed out. I did feel a bit ghetto compared to most of the other riders, but they were all really cool - i didn't hear one of them laughing at my ninja 250. (Maybe they waited until I was out of earshot.) WARNING - trackdays are addictive!!!! I've only been there twice (once to watch, once to ride) and I'm already adjusting my budget to fit in every track day i can! Get out to whichever is closest to you, Jennings, Barber, or wherever - just have go have a great time.
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Amateur

Quote:
I want to do a track day so bad but after reading this post I have to say I feel a little overwhelmed I have never done my own wrenching, I have no way to transport my bike short of riding it there etc etc. Ha I don't even have race stands. I guess track days cost more than the track fee in the end.

...much later

Ok I take that back, i went ahead and read the NESBA Rider's Manual and I gotta doa track day
Dude what alot of people do is rent uhail trailer to get the bike to the track and you don't need race stands kickstands work just fine. As far as the wrenching you don't really need to worry about that either. These bikes are tough and can take alot of abuse before you have to do anything.
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: K6 750/ K4 1000/ O4 636/ 04 636 track

Great post.
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K5 750 (track only)

...and a sleeping pill for the night before. I cant go to sleep early for the life of me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode