Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Healtech Quickshifter Review

50K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  DemonRider 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been creeping on these forums for years but never posted anything because for the most part I was able to find what I was looking for, whether it was a how-to or a product review. This year I decided that I wanted to update my late model GSXRs (2001 GSXR 600 track bike, and 2001 GSXR 750 street bike) and a standalone quickshifter unit caught my eye. I discovered the HM Super Lite, and the Healtech QSE (Quick Shifter Easy). After some research I decided I to get the Healtech QSE because of its superior tune-ability, it's new sensor design that can be mounted a number of different ways, all without changing out the shift rod, and because the harness for the 01 GSXRs is the same as the 2014+ GSXRs so if I ever upgrade bikes I can take the quickshifter with me. Another big plus to the Healtech, is that they addressed the issue that some GSXRs have with quickshifters, tripping the FI light. They incorporated a second module build into the main wiring harness that tricks the ECU into thinking that the ignition remains constant even when the quickshifter kills the ignition, so no annoying FI light. I was a bit hesitant because the Healtech QSE is a brand new product, and I know that brand new products often have bugs, and can be a bit unfinished. I emailed the distributor of Healtech products here in the U.S., Blue Monkey Motorsports about purchasing one. I guess Healtech was having issues with patents or something on their senor so I had to wait a month for the unit to come onto the market. I received the unit, followed the very easy insulation instructions that came with it (if you can change your spark plugs you can instal this) and went for a test ride. This was my first time ever using a quickshifter, and wow was it nice. I'm not gonna lie I did have a number of issues, but they were all resolved promptly via Todd, who is the president of Blue Monkey Motorsports. Todd even put me in contact with an engineer from Healtech to troubleshoot and resolve my issues. The unit is now working flawlessly, and even with the headache of working out the bugs, I'm very happy with my purchase, and especially happy with the support from Todd and Healtech. I ordered a second harness and sensor for my street bike. Since my track and street bikes are never used at the same time, I just swap the module between the bikes, upload the file I have saved for each specific bike and I'm good to go. I'm an iPhone guy, unfortunately the application to tune the unit is an android only app. When I first got the unit, I would have a buddy with an android phone come over and we'd mess with it. It got annoying bugging him whenever I wanted to do something, so I got a $20 straight talk Android phone from Walmart, and it works wonderfully.

Heres a link to the Healtech site:
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/

Blue Monkey Motorsports:
http://www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/qse/

Sorry for the lack of pictures,

Hope this is sufficient as a first post,

Here is a lap around the Southeast circuit at the Pocono Raceway. You can hear, especially on the Nascar spec straight how smooth and instant the gear change is. (the choppiness coming out of a couple of the turns is unrelated to the quickshifter. I think it's rear wheel hop because I was running 4 year old Q2s. We'll see, I'm in the process of putting some Q3s on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pI5orn7LJ4[/FONT]

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey what's up. I purchased a heal tech quick shifter. Would like to know if you were able to connect the sensor with a gp shift pattern. It's on my 2007 GSX R750. Right now I still haven't tested it yet and the sensor I installed it on the shift rod at first then I decided to move it up to the small shit lever that connects straight to the transmission because I noticed that on the shift rod when it's on GP shift it pulls when up shifting here is how I have it now but like I said still haven't tested to see if it works

Attachments

#5 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a Healtech iQSE quickshifter easy 2016 for my gsxr 750 k7. I am gonna do a review when i get it, read lot of good things bout this quickshifter, and very customizable, if someone has it please share the experience.

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Mine is coming next week for my 2011 750. Have you received/installed your HT QS Easy yet? I'd be interested in your summery of it. :)

#7 ·
I have one installed on my GSXR 1000 K6. Street shift pattern and it works brilliantly. You can do all the adjustments via bluetooth using your mobile application.

Only issues I had was the bolt holding the sensor came loose and I almost crashed!!!!! It was raining pretty badly and I went to overtake a coach and went through some minor bumps on the road which must have moved my shifter and in turn the sensor thought there was an impeding gear change and cut the ignition for a 80ms and then power came back on while I had the throttle open on the 2nd gear.

I have taken the bolt out and replaced it with a longer bolt with blue locktite. Hopefully it should stay put.

#8 ·
IIRC the recommended torque for that bolt is 7Nm. Perhaps if the locktite doesn't work you can use an even longer one that has enough thread on the far side for a locknut. Just a thought.

Anyway, I've been watching the two-part installation and testing videos by Lamb Chop rides. Well shot and detailed and he also gives a couple of tips for the kill settings:

Reactions: R_1000
#9 ·
I'm having weird problems with my healtech quickshifter. When I come to a stop and as soon as I go into 1st gear the engine cuts out. So I disabled the quickshifter through the Bluetooth then the problem goes away but no more quickshifter :-(

I am baffled. It works perfectly fine when I am shifting up through the gears.

#10 ·
I just heard back from Healtech. The reason for 1st gear cutting off is due my unit running an old firmware. Last night via bluetooth the new firmware has been uploaded. So I will give the bike a run tonight and see how it goes :)

Also I get unwanted engine cutting off at high RPMs, so I have been advised to activate the "Noise Filter". Everything shall be tested tonight ;-)

#12 ·
Hello mate. It's a good unit and their service is good. The unit has a lot of settings available to fine tune it. All my upshifts are super smooth. I will give it a proper run and post my findings.

#15 ·
Hi d207. Nice one mate.

The coil doesn't require a number because it is a go between qs and oem coil. Only thing you need to ensure is to work on one coil at a time.

Before you start on the coils, I would recommend that you route the coils around the airbox to see which best suits you. I had to bring the whole coil wiring around the right side of the airbox.

As for the washers YES they are conical washers. You need to connect them as ( 0 ).

Go with the standard set up and go for a ride. Then if you must start fine tuning it. You are going to love this :)

Any issues please drop me a line and I'll try get back to you as soon as I can.

All the best matey

#16 ·
Thanks so much, this really helps! Can't wait to get it done, this will be my first time riding a QS-equipped bike. However, as it's a dedicated trackbike (L1 750) and totally illegal for the street a test ride will have to wait until this weekend. :cheers

Unless I try and sneak some laps around the neighborhood and risk the cops showing up... :shifty:lol

Cheers!

#17 ·
Not a good idea to lap the neighbourhood with a track bike ;-)

It's a straightforward install. Once you have neatly routed and cable tied the wires....you are good to go.

#18 ·
Lol.

Oh...one more thing...is reverse shifting (GP shift) supported?

#20 ·
Ok..took the bike out for a 20 mile run mixing between town and high speed roads. No dramas. The upshifts works flawlessly. No more engine cutting out on 1st gear nor at high RPMs. All in all I'm chuffed. I just hope it stays that way. It's a good unit with good customer support.

#22 ·
Who me? :)

Turned out I had the wrong app version. :facepalm After I downloaded the one for the iQS Easy, I successfully paired the module with the latest app and went through the setup wizard, including setting the rev limits and baseline sensitivity. The real proof of the pudding will be this weekend...I suspect that the morning trackday sessions will be spent tweaking the settings to my preferences.

One thing I really like about this unit is that there is no big sensor sitting on my shift linkage, so unless someone knows exactly what to look for the QSE pretty much invisible. My riding partners are in for a surprise, because I've told exactly nobody about this newest little addition to the bike. :shifty Can't f'ing wait! :punk

#23 ·
Nice one d207 :). As for your buddies, they are in for a real surprise. You are going to pulling real quick through the gears. if you get any unwanted engine cut offs (we are talking about milliseconds) at high RPMs (long as it's not your fault meaning your foot accidentally touched the shift lever) then activate the "noise filter " under the sensor setup. All the best buddy. Enjoy it n ride safe :)

#24 ·
Well, got to give it the trial by fire test this past Sunday, and I must say that I'm very impressed! It took a couple of sessions to get used to it, and the shift pedal sensitivity was at first too touchy...there are a couple of bumpy areas of the track and the ignition was cutting out! Rode around the problem and then brought it in to tweak the sensor settings. Saved & uploaded the data to the module and things were peachy for the rest of the day. :woot

Now to switch to GP-style shifting...:w00t

#26 ·
@R_1000 Sorry for the late reply, i don have any problem whatsoever, works like a charm. Perfect smooth shifting, I am soo glad that your problem has been resolved, They are very good with their service. and the support is great. So updating the firmware fixed the problem, huh. Will see what firmware i have and hopefully it is up to date. Thanks for sharing the experience.

#28 ·
Just installed mine on my 2016 gsx-r 750.. confirmed a green light, bike started fine and the app is connected.. hoping to take it for a ride tomorrow.. what am I looking for??? Smooth gear changes I know but what is a bad gear change? Too much pressure needed on the gear selector?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#30 ·
hello guys,

need advise. got install iQSE on my gsr600 , all super smooth. but does anyone knows which settings i need to tweak so the engine could "shoot" while shifting gears at a certain rpm range e.g. ±7000rpm? increase cut-off times for 6200-7500rpm range to 85/90ms? or no?

thanks

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.