Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

WTF Shark.....

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TheGeek 
#1 ·
So, today, I just bought a Shoei X-14, an additional visor and some tear-offs. Which wasn't my first choice. I'm a huge fan of Shark helmets. They fit me like they used my head as a template. Construction is second to none. Customer service and availability is a huge problem though. Just finding tear-offs was a chore, but when I needed a new neck skirt, they gave me the wrong part number and shipped me the wrong part. So after my off in April, I've been watching for another Race-R Pro Carbon to go on sale. I finally found some that weren't XS or XL. Apparently, all the helmets available in the US are 4-5 years old on the shelf. That won't pass safety tech at the track for long. Just bummed because I have a few visors and a whole stock of tear-offs. But, I'm not spending $800 on a helmet I can't get support or parts for.

#2 ·
Check European vendors like Motocard and Chromeburner for Shark helmets. Usually the prices are MUCH better than you can get in the US and the helmets are current production, and they have sales pretty regularly. Customer service is also good and responsive even over email. Shipping is also fast and usually free (at least with Motocard). Just be advised that the lids they sell are labeled with the ECE 22.05 certification and not DOT. That said, best I can tell all Shark Race-R Pro are the same spec, and the Race-R Pro is DOT certified. Do with that what you will. I know that at least some US track day orgs respect the ECE spec so if it's a track only helmet you may be ok regardless.

I have several Shark helmets that I got from Motocard, and they've all been amazing.

#3 ·
Can't go wrong with x-14. I am in the US and I have bought helmets from Champion Helmets who is a Euro Vender as well as Motocard https://www.championhelmets.com/en/brands/shark/in

As said above, they usually have a wider selection and availability of parts. I didn't buy Shark helmets for similar reasons as you, even though i have owned Shark helmets for a long time. I use the Shoei x-14 and AGV Corsa/Pista Helmets.

#4 ·
Thanks for that link! They do have good prices as well! I'll add them to my list.

I should have mentioned that Motocard and Chromeburner also carry Shoei, AGV, Arai, HJC, etc, and their prices are still less than most US vendors with a MUCH better selection. But you're still dealing with the ECE certification instead of DOT, and the specs on some non-US helmets may be slightly different even if they carry the same model name. Again, if it's a track helmet, it may not be an issue.

#6 ·
I've found the higher end Shoei to fit much like the Shark. I did check out Chromeburner, but after shipping, the sale prices were pretty much negated. It's just the struggle that comes with the Shark. Pretty much over it. I wish the manufacturers had crash replacement programs. When I was racing MTB, Bell and Gyro both had a 30% credit when you shipped a crashed helmet in. I really think helmets are overpriced, but it's something you just have to endure in this sport.

#7 ·
I would also consider checking the country of manufacture... I know Shark and AGV moved their manufacturing to China, at least for a little while.

I love my Shoei x-14/spirit. Doesn't really have any 'bells and whistle's' as such, just a good quality helmet, its loud, doesn't have flip down sunshade visor but does come with pin lock (anti-fog), amazing quality helmet, good for ventilation, and as far as buffeting and stability at speed, its the best I've ridden in.

For a daily I'd seriously consider the Shoei GT-Air, and as you've mentioned, some makes/models of helmets just fit some heads better than others.

#9 ·
Got my X14 yesterday. Very impressed with the features. One thing I know I'll miss is the breath guard on the Shark. It fit against your face and not only kept your breath away from the visor, but it also made the air inside the visor almost completely still. This was a VERY good thing for contact lenses.

And boys, it's official!!! I'm back to track ready status! Still wanting to refinish the whole bike, but I can run it like it is with the new upper in just primer. Come on May!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.