SRAD Carb Fuel Leak - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
SRAD Carb Fuel Leak

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of building a project SRAD and I've reached the point where I'm trying to start it. With the tank connected it will turn over but not fire. It desperately tries but it just won't fire. For whatever reason I suspected it was fuel starvation so bought myself a temporary fuel tank (Sealey 1ltr portable fuel tank).

Once connected up to the carbs, I tried starting it. Initially it fired up and I was soooooo excited. Happy days. I then noticed fuel pissing out of my carbs, as I've recorded here:

https://youtu.be/OK9O-MFH2WQ

I think this is because the temporary tank has no flow control like a vacuum petcock would, it just dumps its load into the carbs until it's empty. Needless to say I've flooded my bike now, so will leave it alone for a week or so.

However... It started (momentarily) whilst connected to the temporary tank which is a positive. It wouldn't start whilst connected to the proper tank. Therefore I'm asking all you lovely lot to sanity check my thinking.

Based on the above, should I invest in a new petcock / fuel pump setup as I can't see what else it could be? For reference, I can hear the pump prime when I turn the ignition key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: gsxr600 srad corona, srad 750 FI
Re: SRAD Carb Fuel Leak

Before you throw money at it, I would test the parts first. Check flow of fuel etc, is the petcock working. Will it fire up by putting fuel straight into the engine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to test what the petcock is throwing out. I know the engines fired when I used the gravity fed temporary tank, which is essentially the same as your 2nd point. A replacement petcock is £35 (around $40). A rebuild kit for the rest of the fuel pump system is about £85 ($100). I'm happy to pay that out if it means I've finally got a running SRAD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: gsxr600 srad corona, srad 750 FI
Re: SRAD Carb Fuel Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife-Crisis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to test what the petcock is throwing out. I know the engines fired when I used the gravity fed temporary tank, which is essentially the same as your 2nd point. A replacement petcock is £35 (around $40). A rebuild kit for the rest of the fuel pump system is about £85 ($100). I'm happy to pay that out if it means I've finally got a running SRAD.
I`m in the uk, this is on ebay eBay item number:121902243216, not sure if any good to you with taxes etc, just a thought.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
I'm also in the UK (Wiltshire). I only mention dollars as I know a lot of contributors to this site are in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode