Q3 Mileage - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
Re: Q3 Mileage

Pic doesn't hold a candle to what @SPL170db posted, but here are the Road 5s in action. Then again, I was on the street and obeying the speed limit.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2589269_post.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	558252  
Jacob54s likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX S750, D675R, Versys 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
That particular picture I just looked up is from an Italian motorcycle website, the article was from back in 2007, so not quite modern day rubber on there. If I recall correctly it came with the old Dunlop D220 tires or something similar.

F 800 S la BMW che non ti aspetti

To be fair, I certainly wouldn't choose to run sport touring tires for a trackday, its not so much about outright grip, but more about better dealing with increased heat for a longer period. A sport touring tire is likely going to get overheated and greasy (assuming you're running above Novice group pace). But on the flip side, I have Dunlop NTEC slicks on my 600 that I'm only using for trackdays now (no more racing), and I'm strongly considering dropping down to the Q4s for trackday usage. They don't need warmers and will have plenty of grip for that application.

Honestly, for someone looking into their first trackdays ST tires are just fine; you have to run them really hard for overheating to become a problem, but that is not the point.

My point is about running hypersports vs. race DOTs; at what kind of pace would a Q3+ become a limiting factor that would require a switch to, say, a Q4 or a race tire? I'm a midpack A group at best, when I'm having a really good day; if there are pro-racers mixed in A group in that trackday I know very well to make way for them; I'm thoroughly convinced I've never reached the limit of hypersport tires and that running race DOTs will actually be detrimental as I might not even load them enough to build up heat. You can always deflate them to increase flex and heat them up, but at that point it's just money down the drain.

I started doing trackdays a few years ago; remember when the Pilot Power was just released? About that time. My first track bike was a Katana 750, with bias ply tires! Nowadays the Pilot Power succesor, the 2CT, is a cheapo entry level tire! Tire technology has come a long way; quoting people that actually know what they are saying, Dave Moss said in one of his videos tire technology has advanced far more rapidly than chassis development over the last 15 years; thus their '05 GSXR 750 project bike. I have a feeling that a Q3+ can outperform a race DOT from 15 years ago and I'm nowhere near the pace pro racers were setting 15 years ago.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 07-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Honestly, for someone looking into their first trackdays ST tires are just fine; you have to run them really hard for overheating to become a problem, but that is not the point.

My point is about running hypersports vs. race DOTs; at what kind of pace would a Q3+ become a limiting factor that would require a switch to, say, a Q4 or a race tire? I'm a midpack A group at best, when I'm having a really good day; if there are pro-racers mixed in A group in that trackday I know very well to make way for them; I'm thoroughly convinced I've never reached the limit of hypersport tires and that running race DOTs will actually be detrimental as I might not even load them enough to build up heat. You can always deflate them to increase flex and heat them up, but at that point it's just money down the drain.

Q3+ are quite capable of A group trackday pace.

Up until last year it was being used as spec tire for the MotoAmerica Junior Cup series. While they're obviously not hitting huge straight-line speeds, their corners speeds (where the tires traction is really being used) is right up there. Notice the tell-tale tread pattern on the tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode