Finessing the bars - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGeek
  • 1 Post By Misti Hurst
  • 1 Post By Jacob54s
  • 1 Post By Misti Hurst
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
 
le skid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 7,731
Finessing the bars

That headlight is going almost 180 degrees left & right lmao
le skid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...
 
8you4t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gippsland AUSTRALIA
Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s
Posts: 13,163
Re: Finessing the bars

Glad they were geared up ... could have been nasty
8you4t is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Mod w/ no fucks left...
 
spike52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Posts: 16,954
Ahahhaha.. love to see the road rash pics.
spike52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 266
Re: Finessing the bars

So what could riders do in this situation to first of all help prevent a tank slapper from happening, and second, deal with it when it is out of control like that? (rider is lucky in this case!). But seriously, what causes tank slappers and what do you do about them?
Misti Hurst is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
 
TheGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Posts: 13,359
Garage
Re: Finessing the bars

Improper suspension setup, improper tire pressure, and road conditions can cause tank slappers.

Stay calm, stay loose, and stay off the front brake and ride it out. Or, if you have the power, wheelie it.
Misti Hurst and Jacob54s like this.
TheGeek is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...
 
8you4t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gippsland AUSTRALIA
Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s
Posts: 13,163
Re: Finessing the bars

^^^ what he said ... panic reaction is to chop the throttle shut.

Think of it like a car towing a trailer and it starts to fish tail ... the answer is to power out smoothly (if you can).

Iv owned a number of cbr900rr’s which I found were the worst for doing this , esp with the 16” front wheel !!!
8you4t is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: California
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Posts: 88
Garage
Re: Finessing the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post
So what could riders do in this situation to first of all help prevent a tank slapper from happening, and second, deal with it when it is out of control like that? (rider is lucky in this case!). But seriously, what causes tank slappers and what do you do about them?
A lot of guys tighten up on the bars when accelerating or are tight on them all the time which makes it way more likely to happen. Too loose stearing head bearings can cause it too. I had a tank slapper at an unsafely high speed on my bike. Was full on lock to lock and violent enough to throw both my hands off the bars. Got a hand back on the throttle and rolled it on and that cleared it up. Longest 6 seconds of my life lol (That's what she said). I've heard rear brake can help it but I don't know how much I'd recommend that. You panic stomp on it and lock your rear up WHILE a tank slapper is happening you're gonna high side. I took it to my local sport bike shop and had him go through it and set suspension for my weight. He said everything was good with the bike and to order a damper if it felt likely to happen again. Most people go straight to the stabilizer but that kinda just suppresses the symptom of something bigger going on, whether its suspension, rider technique, tires, or loose head bearings/swing arm pivots. Don't get me wrong, steering dampers are great, but if you're having consistent head shake look at the possible causes before you slap a damper on it.
Jacob54s is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 266
Re: Finessing the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob54s View Post
A lot of guys tighten up on the bars when accelerating or are tight on them all the time which makes it way more likely to happen. Too loose stearing head bearings can cause it too. I had a tank slapper at an unsafely high speed on my bike. Was full on lock to lock and violent enough to throw both my hands off the bars. Got a hand back on the throttle and rolled it on and that cleared it up. Longest 6 seconds of my life lol (That's what she said). I've heard rear brake can help it but I don't know how much I'd recommend that. You panic stomp on it and lock your rear up WHILE a tank slapper is happening you're gonna high side. I took it to my local sport bike shop and had him go through it and set suspension for my weight. He said everything was good with the bike and to order a damper if it felt likely to happen again. Most people go straight to the stabilizer but that kinda just suppresses the symptom of something bigger going on, whether its suspension, rider technique, tires, or loose head bearings/swing arm pivots. Don't get me wrong, steering dampers are great, but if you're having consistent head shake look at the possible causes before you slap a damper on it.
yes well said! Tightening up on the bars is a huge factor for the exacerbation of a tank slapper and sometimes even the cause of it. Often times, just relaxing on the bars will help dissipate the slapping of the bars and as people said, holding the throttle steady or slightly rolling off can help. Big mistake is to chop the gas or to try and grab the bars tighter. I had a doozy of one several years ago and I basically just let go of the bars and figured I might have to jump off the bike!! Soon as I let go the slapper stopped and the bike continued straight.....now, what can happen AFTER a violent tank slapper with the brakes that is important to note?
Jacob54s likes this.
Misti Hurst is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: California
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Posts: 88
Garage
Re: Finessing the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post
yes well said! Tightening up on the bars is a huge factor for the exacerbation of a tank slapper and sometimes even the cause of it. Often times, just relaxing on the bars will help dissipate the slapping of the bars and as people said, holding the throttle steady or slightly rolling off can help. Big mistake is to chop the gas or to try and grab the bars tighter. I had a doozy of one several years ago and I basically just let go of the bars and figured I might have to jump off the bike!! Soon as I let go the slapper stopped and the bike continued straight.....now, what can happen AFTER a violent tank slapper with the brakes that is important to note?
Yea, I think mine was caused by a bump while accelerating. When I rode through after I noticed a seam/bump right about where it started. Your bike is constantly trying to track a straight line, your bars are always "moving" a little bit. It's when something pushes your tire out of line and the corrective force is enough to throw it back past center that you get a tank slapper. Definite pucker moment. Yea if you find yourself in one and you're able to ride out of it be sure to pump your brakes up right after. The force can be enough to knock the pads away from the rotor so you may not have any front brakes for the first couple of lever pulls.
Misti Hurst likes this.
Jacob54s is online now  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Syd, Australia
Motorcycle: k5 1000
Posts: 317
Garage
Re: Finessing the bars

Here's one that happened to me during a 1/4 mile pass.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
GSXRISSA is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 266
Re: Finessing the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob54s View Post
Yea, I think mine was caused by a bump while accelerating. When I rode through after I noticed a seam/bump right about where it started. Your bike is constantly trying to track a straight line, your bars are always "moving" a little bit. It's when something pushes your tire out of line and the corrective force is enough to throw it back past center that you get a tank slapper. Definite pucker moment. Yea if you find yourself in one and you're able to ride out of it be sure to pump your brakes up right after. The force can be enough to knock the pads away from the rotor so you may not have any front brakes for the first couple of lever pulls.
Exactly! Well explained, and yes! Pump the brakes after a tank slapper as the force can knock the pads apart and during the first few pulls of the lever can give you nothing! I remembered reading something along those lines as I was panicking after my first full on tank slapper and somehow had enough wits to pump the brakes just in time to slow for the upcoming corner and then pull off at pit exit to chill out for a bit an get the color back in my skin. hahaha
Jacob54s likes this.
Misti Hurst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome