Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible. - Page 21 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #401 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible.

Guess there is a trade-off of brawn for brains, huh? Well, not always. I know some of the residents I worked with were as big as him, but maybe they're just the exception
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2016 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
All of the stuff you wrote is the stupidity we are trying to teach others to avoid. I guess it's good to have a picture of what can happen.
interesting to consider, how many people do you think actually change their minds based upon posts saying "wear gear!"... probably not many, if any.

maybe theres a few people who are convinced by a picture or video to change their ways, but if youve studied people as exhaustively as i have you will come to find that for most people the only thing that changes their perspective on anything is personal experience... they need to crash at some point and only after that point, when its real to them, they will either decide to start wearing gear, or they will decide they accept the risks and continue to do what they do.

i dont think the "please wear gear" kind of pics and videos are very helpful at all.... but i DO think the gruesome crash and wreck videos are helpful... it needs to be scary, emotional, and possibly disturbing if you want to have an impact on people... a friendly nice video saying "hey bud, please wear some gear" isnt going to sway anyone, but i know some people who started wearing gear more often after seeing a few too many nasty gore pics.

Quote:
But you seem to have a weird pride in nearly dying and knowing that because of your actions, that you will die one day prematurely. Then in the same breath you write, "hopefully it doesn't happen."
not being afraid to die is not the same thing as not caring if you die.... and yes i understand my perspective is not "normal" or common.

a documented psychological condition for certain types of people enjoy risk and/or danger, and within that category for each person they have a varying degree of how extreme the risk needs to be to satisfy them.... for instance maybe you enjoy a little bit of risk, but for another person your level of risk is too tame, and their goal post is much further into the danger zone.

Quote:
I'm a professional stuntman for a living and everything I do is a calculated risk to my health and well being. But I don't just wing it. Proper preparation, planning and rehearsing is key to not getting hurt.
thats great and im glad you enjoy it... to others that seems boring, theres no danger, no rush, no fear when youve planned everything to be as safe as possible, some people just require more risk to reach the same level of enjoyment.

Quote:
It's self preservation. I have overwhelming desire to live. I love life. You seem, at least in this short writing, to not have that desire for self preservation. That is hard for me to understand. I would suggest talking to a shrink and figuring out where that desire is coming from.
i have a deep love for life, and in fact enjoy a wonderfully satisfying life. im one of the most positively adjusted, laid back and happy people that youll ever meet. ive never experienced even a touch of depression or similar negative mental conditions in my life. ive been lucky enough to have traveled the world, experienced dozens of cultures, places, and seen things that most people only watch on tv. im just grateful to be alive and feel lucky to have had all the awesome experiences ive had, and you probably havent met anyone that is consistently smiling and happy as i am.

i know its hard for normal people to understand, and it might even seem contradictory, but it IS possible to have love and value of life while also enjoying risking it... in fact that might be what makes it so much more of a rush and that much more interesting is because my life is so valuable that it makes the risk that much higher and the rush that much bigger.
if i had a shitty boring sad life there wouldnt be much risk in losing it, there would be no rush.

i guess you can equate it to high stakes gambling... there is a huge rush gambling with millions... but gambling at the $1 table is pretty boring.... your life is the ultimate stake.
(for the record, i dont enjoy actual gambling if its only mathematical risk, but the analogy is sound when it comes to danger and life)

Quote:
Maybe i'm looking into this too deep. But when I see someone writing nonchalantly about knowing they are going to die in the future because of their actions, but continue to do those actions in a reckless manner, the psychology behind it interests me.
rough analysis would be a functional sociopath (but without the traumatic upbringing influence that is often suspected, i had loving caring parents and a happy childhood, so its possibly genetic but genetic is usually associated psychopaths not sociopaths) and a dose of ataraxia (thats the nonchalant attitude you sense), with an addiction to risk and danger.

as i stated above, probably the core takeaway is that for people like me (and granted i know im an outlier) is that "not being afraid to die" is NOT the same as "not caring if you die"... most people cant seem to wrap their head around it, but its possible to love your life and also love risking it.

Last edited by TheRoadWarrior; 09-28-2018 at 05:26 AM.
post #403 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2016 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Guess there is a trade-off of brawn for brains, huh? Well, not always. I know some of the residents I worked with were as big as him, but maybe they're just the exception

i was lucky to be gifted a relatively high IQ by birth (yeah yeah, everyone on the internet is a mensa member), but i was born physically average if not below average... my body is something i worked on later in my adult life as a choice, being fit is highly beneficial for your life in multiple ways, and it would take quite a closed mind to not appreciate that.

associating physical fitness with a lack of intelligence is really an antiquated cliche, practically a dark ages kind of backwards thinking... nevertheless, its a common "goto" for people with nothing better to say, and it speaks more about your own intelligence level than that of the person you think you are slighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #404 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:53 AM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
interesting to consider, how many people do you think actually change their minds based upon posts saying "wear gear!"... probably not many, if any.
This information is geared (pun intended) towards new riders making decisions on new riding habits. We are simply providing information that will help keep them in one piece. We are not trying to change minds but only providing information to make informed decisions. If someone changes their mind, great but it's not the main objective.

Quote:
not being afraid to die is not the same thing as not caring if you die.... and yes i understand my perspective is not "normal" or common.

a documented psychological condition for certain types of people enjoy risk and/or danger, and within that category for each person they have a varying degree of how extreme the risk needs to be to satisfy them.... for instance maybe you enjoy a little bit of risk, but for another person your level of risk is too tame, and their goal post is much further into the danger zone.
No, I get the difference. I know people who have a similar thought process. Again, I was only commenting on what I read. Obviously I don't know you personally. I am glad that you care if you die.

Quote:
thats great and im glad you enjoy it... to others that seems boring, theres no danger, no rush, no fear when youve planned everything to be as safe as possible, some people just require more risk to reach the same level of enjoyment.
There's no danger being a Stuntman? While I am not doing death defying stunts on a daily basis you can only plan so much. Things still go wrong. People in my profession die and get seriously injured. There is still an inherent danger getting set of fire, doing a high fall, getting hit by a car, crash/rolling a car etc. There is plenty of rush and plenty of fear. Just because it's planned, it doesn't completely take away the possibility of bodily injury or worse.

Quote:
i have a deep love for life, and in fact enjoy a wonderfully satisfying life. im one of the most positively adjusted, laid back and happy people that youll ever meet. ive never experienced even a touch of depression or similar negative mental conditions in my life. ive been lucky enough to have traveled the world, experienced dozens of cultures, places, and seen things that most people only watch on tv. im just grateful to be alive and feel lucky to have had all the awesome experiences ive had, and you probably havent met anyone that is consistently smiling and happy as i am.

i know its hard for normal people to understand, and it might even seem contradictory, but it IS possible to have love and value of life while also enjoying risking it... in fact that might be what makes it so much more of a rush and that much more interesting is because my life is so valuable that it makes the risk that much higher and the rush that much bigger.
if i had a shitty boring sad life there wouldnt be much risk in losing it, there would be no rush.

i guess you can equate it to high stakes gambling... there is a huge rush gambling with millions... but gambling at the $1 table is pretty boring.... your life is the ultimate stake.
(for the record, i dont enjoy actual gambling if its only mathematical risk, but the analogy is sound when it comes to danger and life)

rough analysis would be a functional sociopath (but without the traumatic upbringing influence that is often suspected, i had loving caring parents and a happy childhood, so its possibly genetic but genetic is usually associated psychopaths not sociopaths) and a dose of ataraxia (thats the nonchalant attitude you sense), with an addiction to risk and danger.

as i stated above, probably the core takeaway is that for people like me (and granted i know im an outlier) is that "not being afraid to die" is NOT the same as "not caring if you die"... most people cant seem to wrap their head around it, but its possible to love your life and also love risking it.
Glad to hear it. I am not here to diagnose. It was an interesting response. Thanks for sharing.

"Whether you succeed or fail is dependent entirely on you" - Vic Armstrong
post #405 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

There are kids who read this forum so we try to promote enjoying these motorcycles in the safest manner possible. I was one of those kids when I joined this forum and it was many thanks to many of the elder members here that I changed my ways. I went from not being so concerned about gear to wearing it all the time very early on here. I went from being a street Rossi (cuz I had lots to prove so I thought) to taking my racerboy shenanigans to an actual racerboy environment, the track because of the lessons I learned right on this forum. Iím probably the only active member here who can say they grew up on this forum and I credit this place in many ways for saving me from myself and encouraging me to keep it safe. To suggest that folks donít take the advice here good or bad is silly. I actually did and many members are lurking and constantly taking notes on what is written. Bragging about riding a motorcycle around in sandals and without gear, even if just going around the corner is fucking reckless, irresponsible, and probably should not even be tolerated around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oldgixxer and Ironhead401 like this.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #406 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
There are kids who read this forum so we try to promote enjoying these motorcycles in the safest manner possible. I was one of those kids when I joined this forum and it was many thanks to many of the elder members here that I changed my ways. I went from not being so concerned about gear to wearing it all the time very early on here. I went from being a street Rossi (cuz I had lots to prove so I thought) to taking my racerboy shenanigans to an actual racerboy environment, the track because of the lessons I learned right on this forum. Iím probably the only active member here who can say they grew up on this forum and I credit this place in many ways for saving me from myself and encouraging me to keep it safe. To suggest that folks donít take the advice here good or bad is silly. I actually did and many members are lurking and constantly taking notes on what is written. Bragging about riding a motorcycle around in sandals and without gear, even if just going around the corner is fucking reckless, irresponsible, and probably should not even be tolerated around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Squids will be squids...
post #407 of 407 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode