Front Brake Failure. Near Accident. Help? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 Ninja ZX-6R, 2002 GSXR-600
Front Brake Failure. Near Accident. Help?

So yesterday my buddy swapped out his front and rear sprocket and chain in a friends' garage. I offered to follow him home just in case something unexpected happened...well, something DID happen.

As we were riding to his house, I saw him abruptly stop. The rear wheel lifted off the ground as if he were about to endo. However, rather than roll it, He nearly flipped it. The car behind him nearly crashed into him as well. I pulled off to the side and walked over to him to see what happened. He told me that as He was riding, the front brakes suddenly seized up on him with NO warning. I felt the front brake lever and it was hard as a rock!! We had to get the help of some very kind off duty motorcycle cops to help us lift it from the street onto the sidewalk. (Yeah, motorcycle cops...weird, huh?)

They stuck around a bit to try and help us figure out what was wrong with the bike and then helped us load it onto a friends' truck. When we got to my friends' house, the brake lever was back to normal and there was no drag in the front pads whatsoever. It's as if it never even happened

My other buddy suggested that it may be the master cylinder or that the brakes have to be bled again, but, I dunno. The bike sat without being used for about 4 months up until yesterday. Think that might have anything to do with it?

"why is the genie lamp on?"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR
Re: Front Brake Failure. Near Accident. Help?

Sounds like the master cylinder is not fully releasing pressure.
This causes the pads to drag and the rotors to expand from heat, creating the situation you just outlined.
A good going over and perhaps a rebuild of the front braking system seems to be in order.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SRADIATOR View Post
This causes the pads to drag and the rotors to expand from heat, creating the situation you just outlined.
A good going over and perhaps a rebuild of the front braking system seems to be in order.
Agreed. Overheating the brakes can lead to overheating the brake fluid and subsequent expansion of the fluid. If there is too much fluid in the system this can lead to the brakes locking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2008 gsxr 600

did you change the levers?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson1212 View Post
did you change the levers?
THAT SIR, IS A GOOD QUESTION. Yes, He DID replace the levers. But He didn't install any reputable brands. He ordered some Chinese knock-off race levers.

I was reading sometime back that another guy had the same problem after installing knock off levers.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SRADIATOR View Post
I'm gonna have him check into that. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR, '13 Ducati MTS 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon_Blue View Post
THAT SIR, IS A GOOD QUESTION. Yes, He DID replace the levers. But He didn't install any reputable brands. He ordered some Chinese knock-off race levers.

I was reading sometime back that another guy had the same problem after installing knock off levers.
And there you go. That's why it pays to stock to stock levers, or a quality KNOWN-BRAND aftermarket lever.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Willing Cum Bucket

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 750 Silver & Gray(Stolen), 2013 gsxr 1k

Quote:

i had a similar problem when i put on my asv levers, i didnt change the plunger it came with and took it for a ride around the block and half way back it locked up. i had to have someone run me my tools to take it off so i can ride it back to my house and switch the plungers
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: Street:2005 GSXR-750 Track:2006 GSXR 600

Quote:

More than likely that's your problem. check the pivot joint make sure everything moves smoothly.

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292738
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo3399 View Post
i had a similar problem when i put on my asv levers, i didnt change the plunger it came with and took it for a ride around the block and half way back it locked up. i had to have someone run me my tools to take it off so i can ride it back to my house and switch the plungers
This - the ASVs are made to fit several different bikes and come with different plungers, bushings and light tabs for that reason. So if you don't change the plunger (unless the ASV instructions tell you NOT to on your specific bike) it will be the wrong length - in this case too long, putting pressure on the brakes.

The Chinese knock-offs may or may not come with different plungers but might be pushing on it anyway. Also, if the lever thickness is too large at the pivot or the bushing (if it even has one) too tight, the lever may not return forward fully, again putting pressure on the brakes.

Third option is Operator Error - if the pivot bolt is overtightened, the perch can be pinched, making the lever bind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in Peace, Grizz and Robs - miss you my Friends.

Bike Promotion Track Instructor
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

this is a good piggy back thread to my "would you buy chinese levers" i started up. great example why you shouldnt get them. i actually had a funny thought in my head this was lever related. i remember reading others talking about this problem related to the levers.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: '08 GSX-R 600

shit thats crazy...im surprised the bike cops helped out too lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Ask me about Thermodynamics

Motorcycle: Honda CBR1000RR Superstock race bike

I have seen this once before, only once, in Spain.
A guy was on a trackday with his 848 and going down the home straight his front brakes jammed on with no warning and he was very badly hurt when the bike flipped over. The pads had been dragging on the discs while he was riding, why we never found out because it was a fairly new bike.

But my guess would be a lever that was overtightened.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Any change in levers can cause a hazard, not just "Chinese" levers. If the levers are well designed, and have the right bolt and bushing in place, they should not be sensitive to over tightening. But you can't take it for granted either.

The brake lever pivot bolt often has a shape that makes it stay the same effective length, no matter how much you tighten the bolt. You'd strip the bolt, wreck the nut, and still not bind the lever. If you have a situation where you can make the brake lever bind by tightening the bolt a certain amount, there is something wrong with the assembly. That might be the case if someone has put in a regular bolt in place of the proper one. Or it might be that the aftermarket lever is too thick for the application that they sold it for, and didn't fit properly in the slot. Or there used to be a washer directly over or under the brake lever, but that part was discarded.

You do have to check things over carefully when changing out parts to make sure that nothing funny is going on, especially with brakes.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

To be safe I would do this.

1. Put stock lever back on and see if issue returns.
2. Pull the calipers and clean and inspect them.
3 Bleed the system and maybe even change the fluid with some good stuff.
4 Check all hoses and re torque all the banjo connections
5 And bleed it again after a ride.

If all that fails rebuild the master or get a new one.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Cry baby

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 600

Uh if this happened to me I would open up the master cylinder and calipers to check for corrosion. Sounds like the bike sat for a long time and water got into the brake lines and caused the cylinders to corrode and bind. The pistons in the master cylinder and calipers can bind if corrosion has taken place (seen this happen before). Is this an older bike? How often is the fluid bled?

Last edited by I'm a little BITCH!; 02-28-2011 at 10:31 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:19 AM
He Who Touches Himself

Motorcycle: 2K2 GSXR750 Y&B, 2006 GSXR1000 R&B

Went to parts store a few months back, my brakes did this shit. Turns out the brake pad pin had come out and the pads fell against the rotor and jammed it.

sucked....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode