What chain cleaner do you use and how does it perform, - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes
  • 1 Post By GSXRISSA
  • 1 Post By 2017Dave
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
I use Pro21 lube to prevent my asshole from stretching

Question What chain cleaner do you use and how does it perform,

Hi, while having my tires mounted on previous bike I had at local performance bike shop, I learned one valuable tip while talking to owner. Chain cleaning isn't my religious maintenance ritual, but I clean my chain when I see it getting dirty enough to cause damage to rings or links. Surface dust does not warrant time consuming cleaning in my book. While talking to shop owner/tuner, he gave me insight on Pro 21, synthetic product for chain lubrication. Prior to that I used Blue label, Swiss lubricants and other expensive stuff. It all seem to attract and stick sand, dust and all other contaminants to the chain that act as sand paper and cause damage. Pro 21 is my go to lubricant I tested in my prevous bikes and it is world of difference. Four years after I bought my Gixxer 1000 new and 16k on clock chain is still as new, no stretch, no side play in links, no rust. What do you use for chain lubrication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: What chain cleaner do you use and how does it perform,

This has been covered dozens of time. Also, you should be cleaning you chain AT LEAST every 3k miles.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

16k miles and no stretch at all?
So basically what you're telling us is that in 16,000 miles of riding a GSXR-1000,you have never had to adjust your chain????

Unless you cruised the sidewalks at 5mph for those 16k,I'm calling bullshit.

You Sir,have a one-in-a-million chain and could probably fetch some big bucks selling it on eBay. Guinness Book Of World Records would love to hear from you as well

Last edited by oldgixxer; 02-09-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage
Kero is what the manufacturer calls for on the back of the package, it's cheap enough and does a good enough job without damaging anything so it's what I use. I try and clean every 2-3 times I fill up and just adjust the chain as required.

For lube I use Motul road chain lube but just as it's what I've used. I'm happy to try others.
MustangHunter5.0 likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I heard best on motul, never tried their chain lube myself. I tried many others, they all seem to stick too much. Pro 21 works best so far of the ones i tried.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I find it interesting that you wasted chapter on calling my post bullshit. Trust me I have sarcasm to spread but thats not what im here for. You should cool off, think before you write. I meant it did not stretch past the specs, or usable life. I have tightened chain no more than 6 or 7 times since I bought the bike new, including times when wheels came off for tire mounting 2 times. All times adjustments where minimal, here you go crybaby.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

If it has been covered than move on. Quit reading or replying. 3K cleaning interval is good practice i agree. You should clean your chain every 3 k than.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Sheeeeeiiit I clean and lube mine about every 500 miles more so because I want it to retain it's shiny gold color.

Motul for me too is the flavor of the moment for both cleaner and lube but I have used other stuff in the past.

And it really ain't all that time consuming.

Last edited by Carnage; 02-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Gsxr1000 K4 , ktm300,cr500, wr250,wr400.

I just bought a can of Bel-ray super clean chain lube. Haven't used it on the Suz yet. Was using Maxima chain lube and it seemed ok.
Bel-ray claim their lube is also suitable for dirt bikes too. Lubed the KTM300 chain and it seems ok but have to ride in the dirt to see if it's any good.
Any feedback?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangHunter5.0 View Post
Four years after I bought my Gixxer 1000 new and 16k on clock chain is still as new, no stretch, no side play in links, no rust. What do you use for chain lubrication?
Quote:
I find it interesting that you wasted chapter on calling my post bullshit. Trust me I have sarcasm to spread but thats not what im here for. You should cool off, think before you write. I meant it did not stretch past the specs, or usable life. I have tightened chain no more than 6 or 7 times since I bought the bike new, including times when wheels came off for tire mounting 2 times. All times adjustments where minimal, here you go crybaby.
Crybaby? Hardly.
Cool off,think before I write?
You have sarcasm to spread you say? Perfect. You'll fit in just fine here if you get past the butthurt you're feeling at the moment

How about this: Be more clear and detailed when you post,so there is no misinformation being spread. Such as "my chain hasn't stretched and looks brand new after using XXXX brand chain lube." Now,that being said,it's painfully obvious to a seasoned rider that any and every chain stretches.

The issue at hand here with what you typed is that some brand new rider with zero or minimal experience is going to read what you posted,use the product you plugged and wonder why they have chain stretch yet you claimed to have none. Not too mention this was your 1st thread since you joined and you're yapping away about how good this product is. Which instantly raises a red-flag to the Staff that your true intentions here are to advertise a product,for free.

Don't spread misinformation and then get pissy when an Admin who knows better calls bullshit...then start running in circles trying to explain yourself.
How bout dat?

Last edited by oldgixxer; 02-10-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ive never heard of pro 21 but the first post does sound like an advertisement. I like to clean with kersosene as recommended on previous posts and by manufacturers. The cleaning gives you a chance to inspect chain slack too! Then I lube with bel-ray because i dont get any fling-off. A cleaner chain looks good, gives you peace of mind, and will actually work more efficiently.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017Dave View Post
Ive never heard of pro 21 but the first post does sound like an advertisement. I like to clean with kersosene as recommended on previous posts and by manufacturers. The cleaning gives you a chance to inspect chain slack too! Then I lube with bel-ray because i dont get any fling-off. A cleaner chain looks good, gives you peace of mind, and will actually work more efficiently.
I had a couple cans of old Maxima Chain Wax on the shelf which worked great...but it's been discontinued,and when I ran out recently I tried the Bel-Ray and have been using that since.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
If it has been covered than move on. Quit reading or replying. 3K cleaning interval is good practice i agree. You should clean your chain every 3 k than.
How about doing a search? If you're going to be part of a forum, YOU need to learn the etiquette. You are an insignificant nobody until you prove otherwise, so you don't get to establish any rules or dictate the actions of other. If you don't like it, go to Facebook.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Quote:
I had a couple cans of old Maxima Chain Wax on the shelf which worked great...but it's been discontinued,and when I ran out recently I tried the Bel-Ray and have been using that since.
Hi Oldgixxer. I tried the maxima kit, it came with cleaner, lube, and wax from stg.com. The chain looked good but after riding the bike once, it was a complete mess. Was that the same result you had? I went back to the bel-ray and never changed again.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: L3.1k NOW L6.1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Sheeeeeiiit I clean and lube mine about every 500 miles more so because I want it to retain it's shiny gold color.

Motul for me too is the flavor of the moment for both cleaner and lube but I have used other stuff in the past.

And it really ain't all that time consuming.
I agree 100% to the motul products road chain lube and motul chain clean...really efficient.

I had been using the motul factory line chain wax.... which is >>> fucking damn messy, wax flings and sticks everywhere!! This might be o.k if your racing on track but too much of an issue for street riding and care.

I did find out as mentioned in a previous post for AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE RIDERS... Who can purchase here in Australia..a product that removes all build up of chain lube around drive sprockets, wheels, fairings and frame namely....>>>>SCA BUG AND TAR REMOVER. (under $7.00 - BIG SPRAY CAN)...>>>REMEMBER THIS IS FOR AUSTRALIAN RIDERS....not for Yanks...LOLOL.

Pete
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Hi Oldgixxer. I tried the maxima kit, it came with cleaner, lube, and wax from stg.com. The chain looked good but after riding the bike once, it was a complete mess. Was that the same result you had? I went back to the bel-ray and never changed again.
I just used the chain wax(lube),but stocked up on it cause it worked so well. It was definitely not as you described. This was back in the 2000's,so when I finally ran out and went to replace,it was either discontinued (or they changed the formula can't recall which) and tried the Bel-Ray.
If you've been around the block for awhile you'll remember the original Honda Spray Polish cleaner which was hands down the best shit invented to clean/detail your bike with. Then they changed to a new formula and it wasn't the same so I stopped using it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Cleaner? Just a shit ton of the lube I use. I use PJ1. In the can is the lubricant and the solvent that keeps it as a thin liquid. Using heavy amounts puts the solvent on your chain which liquefies the remaining lubricant and washes away the dirt that's stuck to it. Wipe off the excess and you have a clean chain.

The manual says to use kerosene, but it also says to use motor oil to lube the chain. If you're using a wax based lube, you need a cleaner that cuts wax......
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

Holy noob flame-out! The skin is thin on this one

A rag with kerosene every couple of weeks is a strangely satisfying routine, as your chain looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. It takes <2 minutes A-Z and saves PILES of time washing & detailing, since it never gets dirty (as long as you don't go crazy with the lube / wax).

Pro tip: If you wash your chain with the bike on a rear stand, slowly turn the wheel by hand. Anyone remember the genius who thought it would be a good idea to put the bike in first and let the wheel spin under power? He aint playing piano anymore, that's for damned sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode