Likes to race old junk.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!
Re: 1971 Suzuki T125R Stinger MotoGiro
So the moment came when I finally turned the key...and nothing...no dash lights, horn etc. It was a little humbling, this was after fitting all new wiring, carefully tracing each circuit on the schematic, cleaning connections and packing them full of die-electric grease. Where I thought it was grounding, it wasn't. The fix was as simple as sanding off some paint under the coil mounts. I wondered when was the last time that neutral light had lit up.
I cleaned the contacts on the points and had spark, I was pretty excited by this time. I decided to replace the old points with a new set, as I'm turning the adjustment screw to remove it...it isn't coming out and won't tighten up either...stripped. Ok, I'll just replace the ignition plate off the seized engine...nope. Suzuki used two different ignition / charging systems during the Stinger production run, I happen to have one of each but none of the parts are compatible. At this point, it just seems easier to pull off the left side covers, replace the rotor, stator etc from the other engine. That procedure went well, I installed new points, checked the ignition timing and set the point gap. I was rewarded with a couple of nice fat blue sparks.
I pre-mixed some gas just to be sure, I wanted to be certain that the auto-injection oil system was working first. I anticipated the worse, I expected to see gas running out of the carbs as the needles, seats and floats saw gas for the first time in years. No leaks!
I found the left side kick starter to be awkward, but she fired up. I held the oil pump full open until I could see all the air bubbles were gone in the lines. It wouldn't idle, but it ran. I wasn't too worried, I figured the plugs were saturated in oil. Although the door was open, I quickly filled the garage up with blue smoke and got an instant headache from the fumes. However, I was happy...I smelled like 2 stroke!
I fired it up again the next day and took it around the block. There was a popping noise when I revved it up and I could see smoke escaping from the head gaskets. I pulled the heads off, saw that the bores were in good shape and cleaned everything up. I checked for straightness and reassembled with new gaskets. It started on first kick and idled once warmed up. I was anxious to take it for a good run.
And then it rained every day for a week.
I did manage to finish installing the EGT gauge while I waited. I don't mind driving in the rain if I'm caught in it, I just have a problem with heading out in it on purpose. I also wanted to get some pictures of the bike while it was still clean, it will never look as good as it does right now.