Got a free Harley for a day, what to take...what to take? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2005 Buell XB12R-back with my first love: V2!
Talking Got a free Harley for a day, what to take...what to take?

So, through a sheer stroke of luck I ran across a guy on sport-touring.net that apparently works for Harley. He had a few free one-day rental coupons that he was giving out in some kind of marketing deal and I got my hands on one! Now, most Harleys aren’t my thing but a free bike for a day is ALWAYS ok by me, I don’t care whose name is on the tank. I plan on taking a Fri off and riding all day, maybe 500-700mi. I'll probably go down to Ky and pick up a bottle of my favorite bourbon. After all, Harley's and booze are like peanut butter and jelly, right?

So, I started looking and I have a few choices for bikes to take.
My first thought was a V-Rod but unfortunately, the only authorized rental dealer in Indiana doesn’t rent them. Bummer.
My second choice was a new Dyna “Switchback”: the smallest, lightest bike with the 103" engine and bags. They have those but the one they have is already spoken for the Fri I’m taking off.

So, that leaves me with a few options:
-A Sportster 1200C –tempting since I’ve owned a Sporty and I know it is a bike I can have some fun on. However, I have owned a Sportster and 3 Buells so I’m very familiar with that bike/powerplant. I want something different.

-Road King- I have to say, I am slightly tempted here. Sure, it’s an old man’s bike, but it’s not as bad as some of the others. It ought to be quite comfy and supposedly, they handle very well for their size. My big concern is that it’s an ‘11’ and I think they still used the old 96” engine. I want the bigger one, darnit!

-Street Glide- This is the one I’m leaning towards right now. I checked one out at a dealer and they are uber comfy and seem like they were just built for someone my size. 103" engine, hard bags, comfy- might be "the one".

Other than that they have a Heritage Softail and several “Old Man” bikes that I have absolutely zero interest in.
Hmmmmm, what to take, what to take. Life's tough decisions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Mr Creepy McCreep

Re: Got a free Harley for a day, what to take...what to take?

1 or 3 look like you could bootleg the most booze with those saddlebags
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: yes

I rented a bunch of them. Sporty's are the most fun, IMHO.

Anything else, just sit back and cruise. Not my style at all, but better than a poke in the eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

get one and go riding with johnycakes and k3!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

Get the sportster and go do a track day
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it's going to be the Sportster.
I really have no interest in the big bikes. I only wanted to take one out just to see what all the fuss is about (I swear, every 3rd bike around here is a Street-Glide and probably 3 out of every 4 bikes is a big Harley). Realistically though, the odds of me ever wanting or buying a $20k bike (ESPECIALLY a $20k Harley) are about the same as the odds of me winning the lotto; and I don't play the lotto. The Sportster, though flawed, is a fun bike that I know I can enjoy.
Besides, it'll be fun to come back in 24hrs with 600+ miles racked up on the "bar hopper/ girls bike" just to see the expressions on their faces. Maybe I should do an Iron-Butt ride.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Track Day Winner

The Sportster Seventy Two is pretty cool.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.

Since you're looking at distance riding, don't even think about the V-Rod. Uncomfortable as shit after 50 miles.

I would say Road Glide, but that doesn't seem to be an option, so take the Street Glide. They handle well, have comfy seats, and a good amount of storage. You'll enjoy it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Well, made my decision. The Dyna Switchback came back up for rental (must have been a cancellation) and I snatched it up. As an added bonus, the voucher i got is for $200 off of a rental which means; I got the Dyna for 2 days as it was $99/day for rental.
I'll try to post up a review after I ride it next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3Gixx View Post
Since you're looking at distance riding, don't even think about the V-Rod. Uncomfortable as shit after 50 miles.

I would say Road Glide, but that doesn't seem to be an option, so take the Street Glide. They handle well, have comfy seats, and a good amount of storage. You'll enjoy it.
Funny how people seem to think a sofa on wheels is necessary for any decent number of miles. I've done 1000mi+ trips on a number of bikes that weren't "suitable" for distance riding. My trip this year was about 1600mi over 4 days and the Busa made it EASY. Like I said, I have no interest in the 2 wheeled land barges and I'm quite happy I got the Dyna.
I have no doubt that I could do 500+mi in a day on a V-Rod but it's kind of a moot point since they don't rent them.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gixxer View Post
Funny how people seem to think a sofa on wheels is necessary for any decent number of miles. I've done 1000mi+ trips on a number of bikes that weren't "suitable" for distance riding. My trip this year was about 1600mi over 4 days and the Busa made it EASY. Like I said, I have no interest in the 2 wheeled land barges and I'm quite happy I got the Dyna.
I have no doubt that I could do 500+mi in a day on a V-Rod but it's kind of a moot point since they don't rent them.
People are different shapes and sizes, what's comfortable to one person might be a torture rack to someoen else.

I knew a big guy (tall and heavy) who rode some really long distance trips on a 'Busa. I hear it's a really comfortable bike.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as in rooster. Which might be even worse. And takes more duct tape to avoid a damn mess. Has lead to interesting nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gixxer View Post

Why would comfort NOT be a consideration for a long distance ride?

The reason a V-Rod sucks for distance is the odd riding position that they have, the "clamshell syndrome". Your hands are far forward and so are your feet, it is murder on your back.

Sorry, but I've been through too many bikes lately, and when it comes down to comfort (which was the biggest consideration for me now with my latest purchase), the Road Glide beat them all. Cruisers, like the Dyna models, are great for short trips, but by design they are not tourers...

Regardless, you'll have fun.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Squid

That street glide is the way to go. My father has one and I love it, looks great, sounds great, and it has some mean power. Then again, he has a few mods and such, and he upgraded the sound system a whole bunch. The bike is just a jem to ride. Feels like your just sitting on a cloud. Comfortable on even the shittiest roads. Its got a super flat Vtwin power curve, so you just roll on and it allways has power. Even in the higher gears (it is 6 speed) it has more than enough tourque to pull without downshifting. But anyway, get the street glide its dope.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 07 gsxr 600
If your going to ride a sportster1200 get some drag bars instead of the stockers. I rode a few sportsters in the past and every one without drag bars had hella headshake on acceleration.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 AM
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....

Pretty sure modifying a rental would be frowned-on
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
Pretty sure modifying a rental would be frowned-on
I meant if you are looking for one to rent get one with drag bars, there is more than one type of bar that they can come with.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:21 AM
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....

Damn, I thought I was a freak for already having woken-up at 5:00 EST... it's 4:00 in Arkansas!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
Damn, I thought I was a freak for already having woken-up at 5:00 EST... it's 4:00 in Arkansas!
I work at 5.30, add a 35 mile bike ride to work, morning jog, shower, and breakfast....im usually up around 3 am
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone1 View Post
.......new a big guy (tall and heavy) who rode some really long distance trips on a 'Busa. I hear it's a really comfortable bike.
It is.
Even bone stock I could do some serious miles on mine and with the Buell pegs (drops your feet like 1.5") and the Heli-bars I added, I would ride it cross country without a second thought. Like I said, I did 1600mi in 4 days, which isn't a ton of miles in the whole scheme of things except it was 4 days on the bike anywhere from 12-14hrs a day, and it was easy; no pain, no discomfort, (except from the 95+deg heat the whole trip) and no lasting aches or soreness. I like to call my Busa the "Long Range Missile"
I love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode