Front End Lock, what to do? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR600
Front End Lock, what to do?

So heres the story..

Riding home, its windy, really windy. Look up..see a 50 km/h zone sign, roll off the throttle a bit. Notice the bike is slowing down in a HURRY. Shit shit. Reach to feel the front brake lever, rock hard and all the way out, no dead zone. Brakes were locked up. Stopping in the middle of a 80 km/h road seemed like a bad idea. Look behind me, theres a Kia barrelling towards me, so I figure I need to get off, but it was a country road, so mushy shoulder. I down shift till I'm in second and touch rear brake to turn on brake lights. Thenn very very cautiously pull off onto this shoulder of death. As I stop bike tips over, sigh. NBD, no damage.

I did a search on the front end locking up, I think its the MC return clogged.

My question is..was there a better way for me to have handled the situation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: '07 GSXR750(street), '01 GasGas 280TXT(trials), '03 KTM SX200, '04GSXR750(track)
Re: Front End Lock, what to do?

Wow. That scares me just reading it. I don't know what else you could of done in that situation.

Did you by any chance recently put new brake pads on the front? When you replace worn out pads you have to push the brake pistons back into the caliper so they will fit over the disk. Sometimes this will push enough brake fluid back into the resevoir that it will fill it up completely. Then when the fluid gets warm it expands and the only place it can go is to the brake pistons.

I would check the fluid level before anything else. Let us know what you find out is wrong with it.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size..." ~ Oliver Wendell Homes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzywave View Post
Did you by any chance recently put new brake pads on the front?
No, I just changed the levers, bought off ebay (hangs head in shame). I'm going to check the fluid level, and make sure the MC piston can return fully with the new levers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewww3636 View Post
No, I just changed the levers, bought off ebay (hangs head in shame). I'm going to check the fluid level, and make sure the MC piston can return fully with the new levers.
I keep reading these threads about people changing levers and then the front end locking up, Whats the issue? Makes me not want to change levers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A Gixxah!

You are very lucky. I had my brakes lock up on my busa doing 50 mph and when I say lock up, they grabbed so hard that the bike instantly went into a low side. I didn't even have a chance to think about what was happening. Bike slid down the road and when I got up off the ground and ran over to the bike, the brakes had hot steam coming off them. It wasn't till they cooled down that I could actually roll the bike to the side of the road.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewww3636 View Post
Same thing happened to me after shorty lever change. When I put the brake lever on, it wasn't seated properly into the recessed area for the actuation of the master cylinder. Check to see if the brake lever is seated over the MC correctly first. I reseated mine, and never had a problem after that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: K7 1000

The levers may very well be the culprit. If the master is engaged at all the fluid intake/return port can be blocked off by the seal itself, if you use the brakes a few times, warm up the fluid it might expand enough to cause enough drag, more heat, more expansion, more drag, more expansion untill they finally lock up. Put your old levers on i bet your brakes will be fine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitz04 View Post
The levers may very well be the culprit.
You guys hit the nail on the head. Took the lever off, check the seat. The master rod was majorly not seated properly. Now its all fixed up GLORIOUS!

Now I need to get used to the lever feel ALL OVER AGAIN, F my life.

On that note, my stator cover now has a couple minor paint scratches from the tip. Can I use regular metal paint to touch it up for now? Or do I need to use high temp stuff? I don't know how hot she gets.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR, '13 Ducati MTS 1200

Regular paint to touch up the cover should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode