Gas Grade? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By Jacob54s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Gas Grade?

I got a 2013 GSX R 1000, the manual recommends Gas grade of 90 or above, does that really make a difference? I have been ignorantly using 87 for 700 miles since i brought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Garage
Re: Gas Grade?

Really, a duplicate post of the same question? Please try using the forums search function. There are a few topics on fuel/gas grade.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeps View Post
Really, a duplicate post of the same question? Please try using the forums search function. There are a few topics on fuel/gas grade.
I did look up but those questions are not directly relevant to the question on 2013 1000 cc make & model or similar. Most of them are about older models and different make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEDGSXR2013 View Post
I did look up but those questions are not directly relevant to the question on 2013 1000 cc make & model or similar. Most of them are about older models and different make.
It actually still is relevant as fuel grades do not change. You should be using what your manual specifies. There is a reason that they specify certain fuel grades.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEDGSXR2013 View Post
I got a 2013 GSX R 1000, the manual recommends Gas grade of 90 or above, does that really make a difference? I have been ignorantly using 87 for 700 miles since i brought it.
Yes, it does. Unless you like pre-ignition and detonation that can cause catastrophic engine failure.
Jacob54s and Meeps like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:47 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I think that there originally was a sticker on the tank about the octane requirements. They commonly get removed. Suzuki isn't doing that for the fun of it as it creates a hardship of sorts for owners. At idle and low load 87 will be OK. But at higher load and RPM you're playing with fire. It could easily lead to engine damage.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

Don't be cheap!! Be safe and go with Super unleaded. There is detonation that you don't hear. You don't want to play russian roulette over a $1 more a gallon.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Garage

At 12.9:1 compression and aggressive timing you should be running at least 91. It clearly states that in the manual/this forum/google/just about everywhere. Pretty elementary question. These are performance machines, not Honda Accords. Stop running 87, it'll pit the crown of the piston, jack up the rings, and puts a lot of stress on the rod bearings and piston skirt.
Revster likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hey, does anyone finds that your bike runs better on one brand over another. Sorry, don't mean to thread hike but always wondered about this as my truck always seem to run better on BP and that is pretty much what I put in my bikes.

I know, I know, it is common knowledge that the brands don't make a diff but just asking the collective at this time. Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
Hey, does anyone finds that your bike runs better on one brand over another. Sorry, don't mean to thread hike but always wondered about this as my truck always seem to run better on BP and that is pretty much what I put in my bikes.

I know, I know, it is common knowledge that the brands don't make a diff but just asking the collective at this time. Thanks.
I've actually noticed this with my K7 600... I get far better fuel mileage using WaWa fuel here in Florida than I do the others... My next go to is fuel from 7-Eleven (Corporate stores, not the franchises as the franchises can run with what ever fuel partner they want). I also always use super or premium in my bike. But with WaWa fuel I've noticed a good 5 extra miles to the gallon plus it running smoother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode