How tight when buying a new helmet??? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: gsxr1100s4me
How tight when buying a new helmet???

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to get a new helmet and I've tried several on but am alittle confused as to how tight to buy a new one before it breaks-in. It seems the larges are pretty snug, but do move side to side slightly on my cheeks. On the other hand, the mediums are really tight but don't move around at all. Will the medium break-in enough to be comfortable??? I don't want to get the large to find out it "settles" and is to loose, but the medium is scary too because it's so damn tight right now! What do you guys suggest. Was looking at the HJC-AC-10's for about $240. Thanks for the help.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:21 AM
.............OG

Re: How tight when buying a new helmet???

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gsxr1100s4me:
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to get a new helmet and I've tried several on but am alittle confused as to how tight to buy a new one before it breaks-in. It seems the larges are pretty snug, but do move side to side slightly on my cheeks. On the other hand, the mediums are really tight but don't move around at all. Will the medium break-in enough to be comfortable??? I don't want to get the large to find out it "settles" and is to loose, but the medium is scary too because it's so damn tight right now! What do you guys suggest. Was looking at the HJC-AC-10's for about $240. Thanks for the help.

Aaron
<hr></blockquote>

you're better off tight than loose.. they will break in a little.. but not a whole lot. my helmet is really snug, it dosen't shake around at all. try on some different brands of helmets, some other Mediums may fit you better.

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: Hayai

Yep, what Hunter said. You want it to be a little snug initially, as it will break-in soon after. If it squeezes your cheeks, makes you look like a chipmunk and gives you a headache, then it's too tight. If it slides on your face, then it's too loose.

Try 'em on for at least 15-20 min in the store.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:59 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: R-O-B

Just make sure there is no tight spots! In an accident there will be no protection in the tight spots because the padding will be smashed. Like Hunter said, try on different brands of helmets, different brands fit differently. Never let the price stop you from buying a helmet that fits perfectly, because you can't put a price on your head!

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Blackthorn

Put the helmet on. Move your head around a bit as if you were doing some neck exercises. Your helmet should not be causing any major pain like pulsating pain spots on the forehead. Next go stand in front of a mirror. With the visor open grab the mouth portion of the helmet. Move the helmet up and down and side to side. Pay attention to the skin on your face. Your skin should initially move with the helmet as you tug on it (especially around the forehead line and cheeks). If it doesn't, its too loose. If the fit around the cheeks is not right you may need get different cheek pads. As the store clerk to show you how to swap them out. Definitely make sure its snug but not painfully tight. As someone mentioned you'll probably look like a chipmunk, but better safe than sorry.
I still look like chipmunk in mine.

Blackthorn
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 09:58 AM
Superstock

Motorcycle: 01 1k, 97 Superglide

I prefer tight helmets.

The top of the helmet must fit like a hand squeezing on the top of my head. The helmet must compress my cheeks in a little. When I open my mouth, my cheeks will push into my mouth.

Try several brands on. I didn't care for the fit of the Shoei, but I have several friends that love theirs. I like my Arai.

Don't go cheap on a helmet!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:02 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: MJGIXER

Gotta agree with super squid. Don't go cheap on the helmet. The Arai's are great.

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:12 PM
Superbike

Motorcycle: SOLD 2001 Gixxer 1000

also press your hand against the helmet hard. this will simulate the wind. also, when you shake your head it should move a hair. for tightness, you want it to feel like the padding is hard, not that the helmet is small. also get one that lets your head fit in the hole easy, this will save your ears.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:46 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GiXXerRiDer

I had an extra large bieffie. It felt snug at first but after break-in was waaaay to loose. I then went to a large HJC. It was pretty snug and comfy. Of course it's too loose now. Just try on several and if ya can wear a buddies around for a while ( one that is already broke in ). Good luck !!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 93'GSXR1100WP

This post may be too late but if you haven't bought a helmet yet I'll tell you what the guy at Cycleparts West told me. He said I should get one as tight as I can stand with out being too uncomfortable (causing a headache etc) so I tried a medium and walked around the store for about 10 min. it was tight but not irritating,so I bought it. Now it fits my grape perfectly,I think a nice snug helmet is more comfy than a sloppy one. And if you wipe out you don't want to be in a loose helmet anyways. hope this helps.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06/750

get one so tight .that you need KY jelly to bang it on...
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06/750

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1100s4me

Aaron
do you sport a Nappy head or a smooth dome?
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Track Day Winner

My Girl Loves A Tight Helmet >>>> !!!!
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR600-K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashotter
This post may be too late but if you haven't bought a helmet yet I'll tell you what the guy at Cycleparts West told me. He said I should get one as tight as I can stand with out being too uncomfortable (causing a headache etc) so I tried a medium and walked around the store for about 10 min. it was tight but not irritating,so I bought it. Now it fits my grape perfectly,I think a nice snug helmet is more comfy than a sloppy one. And if you wipe out you don't want to be in a loose helmet anyways. hope this helps.
Yeah... about six YEARS too late!

Dude... I think you win the "I revived the oldest/deadest thread" award! =)

Last edited by S2000_Guy; 06-11-2007 at 08:33 AM.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2002 gsxr 750

if it gives you fat guy cheeks it fits right. i would reccomend a shoei i know its dexpensive but once you wear one there is no going back to another brand. snug is good.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: k7 sixxer, k1 sixxer(gave to the wifey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_Guy
Yeah... about six YEARS too late!

Dude... I think you win the "I revived the oldest/deadest thread" award! =)

he must've been digging around a long ass time to find this thread
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Squid

I dont imagine he searched too hard. 4 years later here it is the 5th google result for my search

Yes I registered just to revive this ten year old thread. LOL
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Squid

How many of you have red marks on your head when you take your helmet off after a ride?
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1 View Post
How many of you have red marks on your head when you take your helmet off after a ride?
First post from 2008. And the post is about red marks on a head.

Anyway just in case if you are so really interested in that I don't have such marks.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 07 GSXR600

damn this thread is so old lol....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode