Electrical question(s) for people smarter than me. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BillV
  • 1 Post By Stone7812

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Electrical question(s) for people smarter than me.

I'm generally google-proficient but I wouldn't know where to start on this, since all I remember from high school is amps X volts = watts

Pellet smokers: Traeger has a little 300 sq" tailgater unit that would be ideal for my needs. That brings camping to mind. It draws 300-400W for the first few minutes (igniter starting the pellets on fire) and drops-off to a scant 60ish W to maintain a low & slow smoke. Call it 100W for good measure. How do you figure-out how long a fully-charged car battery could produce 100W (with the power loss through an inverter)?

IE if I'm dreaming of a smoker running for.... call it 2 start-ups and 10-15 hours over a camping weekend, how big of a car battery would I need to bring with me?

PS: I hate generators. At track day weekends, camping in pit row SUCKS when some people run generators the whole time. I'd never bring one to a campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:03 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Electrical question(s) for people smarter than me.

100 W is 8 amps at 12 V in round numbers. Inverters are fairly efficient. Look at the amp hour rating of your battery. This information isn't as commonly available as it once was so you may have to hunt a bit. Numbers like 80 amp-hours are typical but much higher capacity batteries are available. You're probably better off with a deep draw battery as common car batteries don't do well with repeated deep discharges. Off hand, I'd try to avoid discharging beyond 50%.

The better generators are fairly quiet.
sradmad600 and 750Squidiot like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Squid

Good rule of thumb is 12V on an inverter is extremely inefficient, not going into technical jargon but the "most efficient" inverters run on 48V and up. The lower the input volts the more the inverter has to double the volts to get to the output. I have a small (cheap) 1000W inverter running my garage. Enough to run lights and the odd drillmachine. Go for those portable solar jobbies, sunlight is free after all.
Meeps likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Squid

I would say there are too many variables and you could figure it out but the best way would be to do a real-life test run
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Squid

damn!
That goes over my head!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

See here. They're typically seeing 85-95% efficiency, which in the round numbers used here can be ignored.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Thanks for the info guys but this whole smoker story is a non-starter.

Yes, it smokes well but the claim is that you can also grill on them, which is definitely not the case, with this model anyway. I let it run on max for one full hour, expecting to hear a nice screaming sear when I drop a burger on the grill but no. It is impossible to achieve grill marks on a fucking burger, never mind actually sear a steak. It's more like a hamburger warmer-upper.

End-result: click
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode