Ear plugs for motorcycle riding - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Ear plugs for motorcycle riding

Hey guys!

So I watched this video from youtube titled
. They do have some great points on why it's hard just to get generic earplugs. The youtube video was made by these guys called Big Ear Inc. You should probably check the video and their website to get what I'm saying. I have sensitive ears and have been having trouble with generic earplugs for years.

My questions are:

Do you guys wear earplugs because I know a lot of people who don't?

How was your experience with wearing earplugs?

Are these custom earplugs worth spending for?

I hope you guys can help me with this as this has been a dilemma.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AnnaC919; 07-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: Ear plugs for motorcycle riding

Yes, I must have my ears plugged somehow. Just the lack of wind noise makes each ride that much more enjoyable. I wish I discovered that 20 years ago but better late than never.
AnnaC919 likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

I used to use these Radians custom molded ones that you used to be able to order from Amazon.

https://www.radians.com/radsite/inde...olded-earplugs

Eventually I lost them and now I just use these I bought at the local CVS, they seem to work just fine

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-983037
AnnaC919 likes this.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Ear protection is like anything else, you get what you pay for.

That being said, of course a custom plug manufacturer is going to make a video trying to convince you that generic plugs don't work and so I will say that they are full of shit. One can buy good quality generic plugs that work well. The difference is that those plugs are closed-cell expanding foam compared to silicone and just don't last as long.

If you wear earplugs often, it's worth the custom fit. If you don't wear them often, don't bother, you will lose them before they pay for themselves.
Carnage and AnnaC919 like this.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Go to your local audiologist. Pay a few bucks to get custom made plugs and you will be set to keep your hearing as you get to the "Golden Age".

Currently have a set for concerts, another for hunting/range, one for mowing my lawn and another set for my motorbike. All good investments.

The best generic plugs I found that work for me are the EP7 Sonic Defenders by Surefire. Cheapish, comfy and seals pretty well.
Nightbat® and AnnaC919 like this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Yes, I must have my ears plugged somehow. Just the lack of wind noise makes each ride that much more enjoyable. I wish I discovered that 20 years ago but better late than never.
I was diagnosed with mild hyperacusis(noise sensitivity) and it's not the bike's sound that hurt my ears too. It's really the wind noise. I now use a scarf so the the wind doesn't go all the way in under the helmet. But I still need earplugs.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I used to use these Radians custom molded ones that you used to be able to order from Amazon.

Eventually I lost them and now I just use these I bought at the local CVS, they seem to work just fine
Seems like I have narrow ear canals that makes wearing generic plugs hurt. I used Howard Leight Laser lites and Eargasm the past 2 months and I end up with irritated ears each time. Haven't tried these two though.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Ear protection is like anything else, you get what you pay for.

That being said, of course a custom plug manufacturer is going to make a video trying to convince you that generic plugs don't work and so I will say that they are full of shit. One can buy good quality generic plugs that work well. The difference is that those plugs are closed-cell expanding foam compared to silicone and just don't last as long.

If you wear earplugs often, it's worth the custom fit. If you don't wear them often, don't bother, you will lose them before they pay for themselves.
Well, in my case I have to use earplugs because of my condition. It's still something minor but I don't want it to worsen. I've been using earplugs too for about a year now since getting diagnosed. It's just that I don't feel comfortable with generic ones because of my narrow ear canals.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
Go to your local audiologist. Pay a few bucks to get custom made plugs and you will be set to keep your hearing as you get to the "Golden Age".

Currently have a set for concerts, another for hunting/range, one for mowing my lawn and another set for my motorbike. All good investments.

The best generic plugs I found that work for me are the EP7 Sonic Defenders by Surefire. Cheapish, comfy and seals pretty well.
Haven't tried this brand. I might check it first before I decide if I'm going to buy custom earplugs or not. Thanks!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaC919 View Post
Seems like I have narrow ear canals that makes wearing generic plugs hurt. I used Howard Leight Laser lites and Eargasm the past 2 months and I end up with irritated ears each time. Haven't tried these two though.
Whilst riding and having my head jammed in a helmet going triple digit speeds (on the track of course) I don't tend to notice I'll be honest. Although, when I was flying from NYC to Dubai earlier this year and I was trying to get some shut eye in a cabin with a 1/2 dozen crying infants on board I tried to use typical foam earplugs and I did notice they began to feel a little irritating after a while too.

So perhaps custom is the way to go for you.
Meeps likes this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

When you go to a racing tire shop, they're going to convince you why your S22 tires are just not good enough for daily driving so you buy their product. It's the same thing here.

Basically, this is a scare-tactic to boost their sales. I have custom ear plugs and IEM setups that I got from an audiologist, which is far more trustworthy than a company run by a person that doesn't even have a degree in the field he's selling in. These are decent custom-molds, but don't let them fool you into thinking that HEARO plugs aren't good enough.

2006 GSXR "250" with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. 162whp, 77ft-lb. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
Whilst riding and having my head jammed in a helmet going triple digit speeds (on the track of course) I don't tend to notice I'll be honest. Although, when I was flying from NYC to Dubai earlier this year and I was trying to get some shut eye in a cabin with a 1/2 dozen crying infants on board I tried to use typical foam earplugs and I did notice they began to feel a little irritating after a while too.

So perhaps custom is the way to go for you.
Yeah, I guess I should really spend money for customs.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
When you go to a racing tire shop, they're going to convince you why your S22 tires are just not good enough for daily driving so you buy their product. It's the same thing here.

Basically, this is a scare-tactic to boost their sales. I have custom ear plugs and IEM setups that I got from an audiologist, which is far more trustworthy than a company run by a person that doesn't even have a degree in the field he's selling in. These are decent custom-molds, but don't let them fool you into thinking that HEARO plugs aren't good enough.
You're right. But things might work for others but might not work for you and in this case that's all I can think about. I just hope I can get something that would work best for me. Thanks!
Meeps likes this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR600, 2015 Yamaha FJ09, 2015 Yamaha YZ450
Garage

On the track, I have always used earplugs and never on the street. At track speeds, the noise levels go way up due to higher engine revs and higher speed wind hitting your helmet. Never felt the need on the street, but I also worry about not hearing sirens or horns on the street.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 17 GSXR 1000
Garage

It's the wind noise that gets you, even at low speeds. Good 33NRR foam plugs are very effective if you put them in correctly. I've seen people barely poke them in and have them hanging out of their ear. You're supposed to roll them between your fingers and plug them all the way in there.

Not wearing ear plugs every time you ride is just inviting hearing loss.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetronics View Post
I also worry about not hearing sirens or horns on the street.
I used to think that way too until I actually started using ear plugs on the street which explains why it took me decades to jump on the ear plug bandwagon in the first place. Trust me you still hear everything just fine.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

If you are in a situation where you will earplugs often, go custom. Full stop.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

i use putty ones.
work fine for me.

100% reccomend.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000k5
Garage

Used Alpines for about 10 years for those few times a year I actually bothered to plug them in
Figured getting a bit older, it might just be a good idea to start wearing them more often and got a set of custom formed ones
went to an audiologist, got a hearing test included (after dozens of concerts and 13 years of aftermarket dampers, I still have 20-20 vision YEY! )

Well, night and day, these things actually make me go riding to enjoy peace and quiet (mind you, they do allow sound like sirens and horns to come through),
and best of all, even after hours on the bike, they don't start irritating

Pricey (but if you ask me, in a bike-accessory context, cheap) but worth it

Veni, Vidi, Vacuum! - I Came, I Saw and it Sucked!
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K2

I always wear ears plugs now, makes riding that much more enjoyable and less tiring, since installing a slip on exhaust which was louder than OEM.

I've found a generic ear plug which works great for me, have tried some other brands, which I didn't like as much.

The most important aspect with generic ears plugs is correct fitment, and rolling the plug into a thin sausage between your finger tips, and correctly inserting it into your ear canal, and holding it in lightly while it expands in your ear.

I've seen so many people with generic plugs, that aren't installed correctly, with the plug sitting on the out side of there ear canal, doing squat...

Wearing the ear plugs with my louder than OEM exhaust, I can hear my induction noise alot more...... which Sounds Awesome, while the plugs cut the exhaust and wind noise down heaps at the same time... Win Win...

Another positive with generic plugs is, you can throw them away when they get dirty from ear wax, and install fresh clean plugs, without having to stuff ass about cleaning them.

I have no problem hearing other road users while out on the street, with ear plugs fitted.

Generic ear plugs work, as do custom fitted plugs.

If generic and custom ear plugs aren't fitted correctly, they both won't do there job correctly...

That video is just marketing BS...... to just sell more custom ear plugs.

Last edited by SSGSXR; 07-21-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode