Pet Peeve’s and Previous Owners - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Garage
Pet Peeve’s and Previous Owners

Sorry this is just going to be a bitch thread in regards to previous bike and car owners and my pet peeves. And some of which I’ve seen posted in this forum as well.

I bought my 2007 GSXR 600 second, maybe possibly third hand.. Good bike, runs strong, however I’ve come across a few things “under” the hood so to speak that are part of my biggest pet peeves. I don’t know if it was the previous owner or the owner before him.

But I found a number of wires just spliced and put back together using nothing more than electrical tape. Granted these weren’t wires that were too important, but enough to make me cringe and rather pissed off because of having to go back, snip the wires, splice and put back together with solder and shrink tubing. These were just to the mirror mounted turn signals, but still the fact that someone does such crappy work just really irks me.

I even found this being done in previous cars that I owned. I don’t know what it is about lazy ass people and doing shit half assed, but it’s rather annoying to have to go behind someone and clean up these messes.

I would say the other think that irks me is someone that says they changed the oil in a bike and showed “proof” of said oil change. I’m beginning to think the oil that was changed on this bike wasn’t done but was done on his other bike. The oil that came out was pretty black (bought the bike May 2019). So now today she has fresh mobile 1 full synthetic with a hi flo filtro oil filter.. I’m sure as I dig through this bike over time I’ll find more.

Anyhow I’m done... Good night!

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
2004 Honda Shadow Aero 740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
I hear ya. Wiring mods are the worse if not done correctly.

My biggest peave is fasteners. Nobody wants to spend the money for the exotic OEM stuff, so they just buy whatever zinc hex bolts are sold at the local hardware store. I spend a lot of time looking at the hardware on a used bike I am considering buying.
Meeps likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Mod w/ no fucks left...

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViking View Post
I hear ya. Wiring mods are the worse if not done correctly.

My biggest peave is fasteners. Nobody wants to spend the money for the exotic OEM stuff, so they just buy whatever zinc hex bolts are sold at the local hardware store. I spend a lot of time looking at the hardware on a used bike I am considering buying.
And that's exactly why I'll take my time when buying a used bike. If I had a nickel for every nOOb that started a post about having bike issues because he rushed out to spend money on his first used bike, without going over it, I'd be a very rich guy.

Any seller that has an issue with me taking time to thoroughly go thru a bike, is probably hiding something.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: Pet Peeve’s and Previous Owners

That's what happens when you buy a bike from someone that probably thought that having a glow light kit or the latest HIDs on his/her bike was a good idea. When buying used, you have to find a bike that is either bone stock or owned by a die hard enthusiast like many of us here on this site that will keep their machine up to the highest standards possible and will not tolerate any shoddy repairs and/or bullshit parts thrown at it. In many cases when buying used the correct way, you may have to pay a slight premium or find a bike that isn't necessarily right in your back yard. The extra money and time spent sourcing such a used bike is almost always worth it in my opinion versus hopping on the nearest CRAIGSLIST CLAPPED OUT SPECIAL just to save a few bucks that you'll more than likely end up spending in the long run anyway.
Meeps likes this.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Yea I spent a lot of time (about 2 months) going through bikes and listings. I had one guy that listed his 07 R1 for a really low price. I thought, yea right, what’s the matter with it.. Showed awesome pics, went and looked it over.. Looked nothing like the pics, was even afraid to test ride it.. Walked away quickly then was harassed by him for a few weeks about how I wasted his time... lmfao!
I settled on my 07 GSXR 600 after a 45min test ride and looking it over. I just didn’t catch the turn signal wiring issue or the rear taillight sensor missing for the rear brake... (Minor because it’s still attached just was tucked up out of the way) I need to find a pressure switch for it that doesn’t have reviews of it failing after 4 months of use. Not like I use my rear brakes much on the street, but I do from time to time.
I do have LED strip lights (red) mounted to the under tail wired directly to the brake light sensor wire at the brake light, so when the front brakes are squeezed they come on with the brake light.

As for the shoddy splice jobs, I found that after I was replacing the mirrors because they had the usual floppiness to them. Just I didn’t like having to go behind and fix someone else’s screw ups when it takes only a few seconds longer to do shit the right way. His splice jobs were covered in bundled electrical tape, would have to cut the bundle to see it there on the spot during the purchase... The oil looked good in the glass, but when draining it yesterday, you could tell it hadn’t been changed in 3 months time... Maybe 8 months time, but nice thing was there was very very little metal on the magnet. .

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

After owning well over 30 bikes I can safely say iv just about seen and been told everything.

Lack of knowledge and over eagerness is what normally gets buyers into strife ...
Meeps likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
After owning well over 30 bikes I can safely say iv just about seen and been told everything.

Lack of knowledge and over eagerness is what normally gets buyers into strife ...
If that were the case here I would agree. However I've been riding for 21 Yrs, give or take a couple of months/weeks/days.. I've bought numerous bikes and cars through out my life. It's only been recently (the last 5yrs or so) that I've been seeing this becoming a common thing around florida with bikes of all magnitude and cars. It's rather sad, even a family friend of my entire life has been seeing a lot of bikes come into his shop in Pensacola, Fl with the same thing.. Either the current owner or a previous owner, splicing wires, pig tailing them and covering them with electrical tape and then taping the bundle up. He has owned D&D Cycles since before I was born, is one of my father's best friends.

The saddest thing I've also noticed and it's not just on here, but in other forums... "die hard" riders or car enthusiasts recommending that kind of a repair job to people. Or not making it clear for the person to understand... "Cut wire, splice wire, add a piece of shrink tubing, wrap two ends around one another in a straight line holding them parallel to one another. Solder together, then slide shrink tubing back down and over the wires and apply a small amount of heat".

And I use the term "Die hard" loosely here. It is what it is though. Once I get another mode of transportation, I will be going through the bike again with a fine tooth comb and fixing any wiring issues I find. I've been fixing them as I've come across them, which like I said. Thankfully it was just the turn signals for the mirrors done like this so far. When I've been under the tank removing the PCIII USB that wasn't even hooked up just the wires ran, I checked the fuel injector wiring, the STVA, TPS and other critical wires and they're all good. No splicing or anything that I could see, thankfully.

I checked out the PCIII and found that it just had a stock mapping loaded to it, removed it completely from the bike. Feel if I'm going to run a PC, I'll get the newest one and have the bike Dyno'd all in the same day kind of thing.

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

I did say normally , meaning most cases ... never said you
Meeps likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
I did say normally , meaning most cases ... never said you
Lol I don't think I was saying you were including me in that... Anyhow I think my biggest gripe here is that I don't know if it was the guy I bought the bike from or the owner before him that did all of this. I'm the 3rd documented owner thankfully.

I'm just hoping that in the coming months I'll have her all buttoned up nicely. I even went so far as having replaced the old fairing screws with nice new black ones from pro-bolt. Anyhow the rest of this discussion will take place in a new thread in the bike specific part when it comes to that. This was a just me venting and hoping someone can learn from it thread.

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Motorcycle: GSXR-600 K3
Garage

seen that before... spent about 3 weeks trying to pick apart a wiring harness on a car once... the thing had been hacked to bits and had wires added in everywhere. i ended up ripping out the entire harness and replacing it with one from another vehicle. problems solved.
if i ever do wiring mods its either hard wired with solder connection & heat shrink or a crimped plug. i hate things not being done properly.
Meeps likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Garage

What annoys me the most is what they say in their ad and what it is are 2 different things. When I was looking to upgrade I looked at countless bikes that were "clean and never been dropped." One in particular, was a beautiful (in the pics anyway) 50th anniversary R6 with a full exhaust, power commander & quickshifter, crash pro etc. Basically everything I would do to a bike, for a good price, and he claimed it was perfect. nEVeR been down with 6k miles. Call him up and get his address, go over and immediately realize this thing has been totally screwed. Was covered in about 2 inches of dust, dirt, and road grime. Had obvious crash damage on BOTH sides of the 50th anniversary fairings and dented the sides and top of the tank, I don't even know how you dent the top. Fork seals were totally shot and had leaked all over the brakes. The engine sounded alright, but I can only imagine what that poor bike had done to it. It did have the mods he stated, but totally lied about the condition of the bike.
Meeps likes this.

I don't know if it's gonna be better, but I know it's gonna be different.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K5 Anniversary

Recently did a fork seal change on my 750K5 and discovered that one fork had more internal components than the other...

And when I bought the bike I had been given a bill for the last seal change from a supposedly reputable mechanic shop done a few months earlier.... It was only a rubber spacer at the top of the plastic spring spacer missing in one fork, but nonetheless, it ges to show that it's not just the owners that are failing in basic tasks.
Meeps likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Recently did a fork seal change on my 750K5 and discovered that one fork had more internal components than the other...

And when I bought the bike I had been given a bill for the last seal change from a supposedly reputable mechanic shop done a few months earlier.... It was only a rubber spacer at the top of the plastic spring spacer missing in one fork, but nonetheless, it ges to show that it's not just the owners that are failing in basic tasks.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Garage

i would loose my shit over that.
i fucking hate it when qualified people can't do basic shit.
Clipper likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K5 Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN View Post
i would loose my shit over that.
i fucking hate it when qualified people can't do basic shit.
Damn right!

I was umming and ahhing about confronting the shop about it, but I've had the bike for 2 and a half years, and the work was done for the previous owner over 3 years ago, so really I can't do much except for what I have always done since I have lived in Spain, do all my own work myself.

I find that normally, even if you need special tools, the cost of buying them is lower than the labour costs that you'd pay in the mechanic shop.
Meeps likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Track Day Winner

Garage

My PO used lamp cord and used electrical tape and then they extended it with more lamp cord and electrical tape. The HID bulb was held in by epoxy and zip-ties. It was a squirrels nest of bad wiring along with a huge ass Toyota HID controller. I drilled out the factory harness on the back and put a grommet on it. Then shoved the LED wiring harness into the grommet to seal up the headlight assembly. All the wires are soldered with heat shrink. And the Hi-beam and low beam harness's were hacked off and then twisted back together wrong using electrical tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190604_195331.jpg (159.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190604_195307.jpg (211.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Repair.jpg (71.4 KB, 6 views)
Clipper and Meeps like this.

Last edited by jbaker; 07-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Mod w/ no fucks left...

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
My PO used lamp cord and used electrical tape and then they extended it with more lamp cord and electrical tape. The HID bulb was held in by epoxy and zip-ties. It was a squirrels nest of bad wiring along with a huge ass Toyota HID controller. I drilled out the factory harness on the back and put a grommet on it. Then shoved the LED wiring harness into the grommet to seal up the headlight assembly. All the wires are soldered with heat shrink. And the Hi-beam and low beam harness's were hacked off and then twisted back together wrong using electrical tape.
Who was the PO, Shervin?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

^^^ I don't see the lightweight kit.....
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Squid

Garage

When I bought my K7 750, the guy took time posting decent photos and gave a believable history.
I turned up at his house, the bike was in the garage.
Its a standard 2 car garage, but carpeted floor, immaculately cleaned, perfect work bench, all tools on a shadow board. This guy was fastidious.
The bike was perfectly clean and ready to go. It starts of on the right foot.
Apart from the odd dodgy fastener and wiring for hand warmers it was mint.
The stainless megaphone exhaust was another story, but sometimes you just find the right bike from the right guy
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 PM
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
^^^ I don't see the lightweight kit.....

couldn't help myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode