2011 Gsxr600 leaking coolant from overflow - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

2011 Gsxr600 leaking coolant from overflow

Hello everyone. I was hoping to see if someone can help me out or point me in the right direction. I have a 2011 Gsxr600. After I finish riding and lark my bike cools t starts to drain from the overflow tubes connected to the reservoir.Anyone have any ideas or suggestion?It does not overheat so I'm confused. Any help would be mu h appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190706_215154_1565627070894.jpg (107.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX S750, D675R, Versys 650
Re: 2011 Gsxr600 leaking coolant from overflow

replace the radiator cap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:31 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

+1 You could also check how the cap seals on the radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Sounds like it has too much coolant in it. When you shut the bike off the temp can go up, expand the coolant, and cause the overflow. If the bottle is full, its going to go somewhere. Be careful it can be slippery. But do you have pictures to verify where its coming from? Nice bike, but the pic does not show anything to do with your problem. Help us to help you. Also check the radiator cap as previously suggested.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

As said, check you manual regarding the proper coolant level in the reservoir tank. If you filled it too high, it might overflow under otherwise normal conditions. If you hear it boiling, or if the coolant gushes out shortly after you stop the engine. then the cooling system can't develop pressure. Check the procedure for purging the air out of the coolant in the service manual and then, as suggested remove the cap and inspect both it and the sealing surfaces of the radiator neck. Try to take a photo for us to see.

If you see debris, between the rubber of the cap and the surface of the neck, it's probably depositions from the boiling coolant that escaped through the gaskets, so the cap should be replaced with an OEM part, especially if it was not OEM. If you see signs of corrosion on the neck (likely pitting), it would be a sign that your coolant is not properly formulated and allows corrosion to take place. This will be more pronounced at the interfaces of dissimilar metals, as in the neck-cap interface. In general and especially if your problem turns out to be due to sealing problems and not just due to overfilling or insufficient purging after a coolant change, I'd suggest reconsidering your coolant, especially if you don't know what's in there. Go OEM unless you know that some other mix is suitable, as specified in the service manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode