2014 GSXR750 won't run after ECU opened to cut new keys - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Unhappy 2014 GSXR750 won't run after ECU opened to cut new keys

Hi all,

I stupidly lost all of my bike keys (AU model with an immobiliser), so my only option according to Suzuki was to replace the ECU and all key barrels. I ended up calling a locksmith who was able to cut new keys and get the code from the ECU at a much cheaper price. The bike was running perfectly before this, but unfortunately it won't run at all now. It's a 2014 model, with less than 10,000Ks on the clock and had never missed a beat. Here is a timeline of events/symptoms:

1. While the locksmith was there cutting the new keys the bike started fine and seemed to run (well idle anyway) normally.

2. About an hour later I went to ride the bike home it was a bit hesitant when starting and idled pretty rough. After it warmed up, it seemed to go ok and I managed to ride it home (a 15min ride). It seemed a little off, but not too bad.

3. Two days later, I went to start the bike and it was really hesitant again and really rough idle once started (almost like running on 3 cylinders). I stopped the engine and since then I've not been able to start it back up again at all. It turns over and cranks fine, but won't start.

Troubleshooting:

- Spark:

Getting spark on all plugs while cranking.

-Fuel:

Assuming it was a fuel starvation issue, I've pulled the fuel pump out and given it a complete clean and replaced the filter/strainer pad and o-rings. The fuel pump is definitely priming before when ignitions is on. Fuel pressure also seems fine, if I pull the line off the fuel rail to the injectors, it sprays out.
The plugs were fairly dry though.. so it seems like the injectors are not firing. I guess I could try pouring fuel directly into the chambers and see if it fires up for a little while.
I did fill the bike up with fuel from a different place to my usual around 2 days before all of this. It seems unlikely but possibly it's a really bad batch of fuel.. I may try draining it and filling with new stuff.

- ECU:

There are no error codes. If I put it in dealer mode it just shows -C00.
It turns out the ECU had to be cut open in order to get the immobiliser key code. It was a readonly operation, nothing written back - but could this have caused any issues? Unfortunately I don't have access to another ECU to test.

If you've read up to here, thanks!
Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on what to check for next before having to take into a dealer/mechanic?
Has anyone heard of this happening after getting the key code read from the ECU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: 2014 GSXR750 won't run after ECU opened to cut new keys

I take it you don't get a flashing FI on the dash? What does "cut open" entail exactly? Can you post a photo? Given that this happened after cutting new keys and assuming that the only part of the bike that was tampered was the ECU, I'd say it's more than likely that the problem lies there an not with the pump or other subsystems. Perhaps the electrical connection was compromised, for instance if oil or dirt was allowed into the couplers, or the ECU was not resealed appropriately and water or other contaminants made their way inside (which would explain the gradual failure), or perhaps cutting it open damaged it somehow.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Yep no FI light is on or flashing.

I'll try and get a photo of the ECU up in a bit. Essentially it's a small square cut in one of the corners to get access to one of the microchips. The hole does appear to be covered pretty well, so I don't expect there was any contaminants were getting in. The bike has been stored under cover in a garage since then.

The reason for suspecting fuel filter/pump issues was due to the tank being lifted to get access to the ECU. Potentially sediment in the tank got disturbed and clogged the filter. Given the gradual failure, it did seem like it could make sense.

I'm was hoping it could have been coincidental and that something else got disturbed which was about to fail soon anyway, but it does seems like the ECU is the culprit. I was hoping to try and rule out anything else first as I don't have access to another ECU to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

So.. it's running again!

Turns out I must have picked up a batch of the worst fuel available.. It must have been completely coincidental that the new keys were created at the same time.

As mentioned in my first post, I had filled up a few days prior from a different place, so as a last ditch attempt I decided to flush out all of that fuel and try some new stuff from my usual place - it fired straight up and seems to be running normal again.

Anyone heard of fuel so bad that the bike can't even start? I'm wondering if this place is selling 91 octane as 98.. but surely the bike would still run on 91, just badly?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al201 View Post
So.. it's running again!

Anyone heard of fuel so bad that the bike can't even start?
Glad you're up and running again. And yes, I've heard of doj fuel in numerous Australian fuel stations. I'm in WA, and I've encountered poor fuel several times throughout my riding career.

A couple of years back a bunch of BP stations (I think in NSW) were caught adding water to 98 octane - the same bloke owned them all. A number of cars and bikes ended up with major problems afterwards, and that's how he got caught. So my guess is, you got some doj fuel tainted by water or something.

This makes for some disturbing reading: https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...h-repair-bills
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

That definitely was some disturbing reading.. when is the electric gsxr coming out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode