Light touch on the bars - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MadViking
  • 1 Post By Superbike Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Light touch on the bars

I don't recommend doing this--at least not until the victory lap. It shows how well balanced he is and how little input he needs to give the bars.
Attached Images
File Type: png Light Touch.png (749.2 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2018 Suzuki GSX-R 750, 2003 Kawasaki ZX-9R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R & KX250 Motarded
To me, that is when you know your body position is correct. Very little, if any, pressure is needed on the bars. Nice!
Misti Hurst likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage
Re: Light touch on the bars

Once you're in the corner and settled, you can almost just let go of the bars. Going through some esses at full throttle is an entirely different story. The bike gets very heavy and needs a lot of input to turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Once you're in the corner and settled, you can almost just let go of the bars. Going through some esses at full throttle is an entirely different story. The bike gets very heavy and needs a lot of input to turn.
Yes, and no. Esses need input, sure, but still less input is better. Too much input might be a sign that body position needs to be better. You don't fix a setup problem with a steering damper, and you don't fix a body position problem with muscle. Also, as I got faster, I found that I was going from vertical to fully leaned over in a lot less time. There's no time to muscle it. I call it a high-speed ballet. Graceful, even beautiful. The one exception was coming off the banking at Fontana Speedway at 175 mph, it took all the muscle I had to get that sonofabitch turned in at T1. The gyro effect was huge.
Misti Hurst likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Like the first straight at NCM. 140mph from about 50% right lean to 100% left lean while WOT. When you feel it you'd swear your steering was locked up because you have to push so hard to make it turn.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Friendly resident cock loving Canadian with a sensitive sandy vagina

I'm surprised anyone with any degree of track experience would find that surprising.

Back in the 80s, I had a p.o.s. GPZ550 that had a speed wobble at 130-135kph. With that bike, the way to survive when it started shaking was to remove your left hand from the bars. I recall many a high speed sweeper, leaned way over, where the bike would start to go into a wobble and I'd ride-out the turn with one hand.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbike Racer View Post
Yes, and no. Esses need input, sure, but still less input is better. Too much input might be a sign that body position needs to be better. You don't fix a setup problem with a steering damper, and you don't fix a body position problem with muscle. Also, as I got faster, I found that I was going from vertical to fully leaned over in a lot less time. There's no time to muscle it. I call it a high-speed ballet. Graceful, even beautiful. The one exception was coming off the banking at Fontana Speedway at 175 mph, it took all the muscle I had to get that sonofabitch turned in at T1. The gyro effect was huge.
Absolutely. Well said! So you found out that as you were going faster you were getting the bike turned quicker (you had to in order to make it through the corner). So how would you describe HOW you get the bike turned quickly and effectively? Lots of riders use muscle because they don't know what the right technique is.

And then are there things you can do differently in high speed esses or places where the gyro effect is huge and you have to use more muscle/technique to get the bike turned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode