Lowside on clutch cover = hole and then into the dirt - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Truck
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Lowside on clutch cover = hole and then into the dirt

So I did a lowside yesterday. Frame sliders protected almost everything except the clutch cover. This was my second trackday of all time so hopefully i got this out of the way early and don't have to experience it again but haha, we will see.

Anyway, it group a hole in the cover and then bike went off track into the dirt. Hoping the oil coming out kept dirt from going in, but until I have time to pull er apart I won't know.

I'm sure most of you racers are smart enough to have beefier covers than my stock option - but has anybody experienced this? What do you do?

Can you flush everything out with oil and hope for the best - or if there is any sign of contamination from a visual inspection, is it time to yank the motor and rebuild or just swap in a used motor?

And video... crash is at the end if you don't want to watch 2:05 of my crappy riding (I am faster on my bike than in my race car so that's good i guess)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Re: Lowside on clutch cover = hole and then into the dirt

That's the stator cover not a clutch cover. Duh!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Alright well I was a bit overwhelmed with the responses I got on this! But I will update just in case someone else ever has this problem. I did NOT do the "right" thing and pull the motor and rebuild it.

I pulled the stator cover, and wiped out everything I could. Then using a hand pump fertilizer-type sprayer, I sprayed everything I could see and reach down with several gallons of diesel. Wiped everything down again after that.

Then I pulled the oil pan (lol at the newer models that need the motor yanked to do an oil pan), and cleaned the pan out with brake clean. I cleaned up the old gasket materials, put on new gasket material, buttoned it back up.

I ran walmart supertech with a new filter through it for about an hour of run time and the dumped all that, changed the filter again and added T6 Rotella full-synth.

Bike is runs like nothing ever happend. I have an NRC cover on that side now, just need to get the rest of the NRC covers before I head back to the track.
XBD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 PM
XBD
2 > 4

Motorcycle: L6 750
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck View Post
Alright well I was a bit overwhelmed with the responses I got on this!
LOL glad you got her back up and running
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:50 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

A frangible cover is preferred as it absorbs the crash energy instead of passing it on to the crankcase, which can be damaged if the cover is strong. Protective covers such as those made by GB Racing are considered to be a better solution. Carbon fiber protective covers are also available that are glued on. Depending on your tastes, they may look better but there's some question about how well they do when called upon. Kevlar protective covers like this are better but I think that they're essentially custom made.

They may require a protective clear coat as UV radiation will damage Kevlar.

I think that this is a carbon-kevlar composite that may be better:
Truck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode