Calling it a season - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 Race Wera 283 and 2009 GSXR 1k
Calling it a season

Well with the way the season is going I am done. From stupid things at Beaver, then tire issue at Nelson, now I have no idea what at Grattan I am calling my sesaon finished.

Bike ran great was getting used to the track clockwise, and the new rear shock changes when right after lunch I tried to spin my rear tire and it would barley spin. I noticed the bolt that hooks the lever to my rear master cylinder missing. Nut was loctited but since i never use the rear not something I check.

So I replaced it. First session after lunch at various times around the track the bike would feel like it was dragging something then lurch forward. Coming the front straight it felt like I was riding a bucking bronco over the bumps as the bike would bounce get a power surge, then slow down again. All the way down the straight it would rev then it would slow down or just hold revs.

Then every time into turn one as I came off the brakes the bike would feel like it was still on the brakes as I rolled gas in, then boom revs would start to go. It did this everywhere in every corner.

So I came back and the rear rim still spun freely and the rear brake would release fine after being pressed and wheel would spin freely. It began to rain so I put the rims with rains on (I knew one of my front rotors were warped a bit) and they had clean rotors and even at a slower pace i could feel the issue still plauging me. It almost caused me a crash as the bike surged and took me offline in one corner over a nice bump or hole in the track.

So after the rotors and unplugging the Power commander I gave up.

So I packed up and came home. Now I am just fed up and ready to call it a season. Maybe get a new bike over the winter and try again next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride In Peace Mike, you are sadly missed
I will miss you Papa Time... Ride In Peace Robben

Last edited by chrisOH; 08-27-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR and a badass Yamaha Jog
Re: Calling it a season

Sounds like you need to do a complete chasis tear down. Great time to lube everything and chcek the torque and condition of all the bolts, etc.

Warped rotors (mild warpage) in the rain is fine. You really don't brake like you normally do in the dry, obviously.

I wouldn't give up. If you want, I'd be glad to run a comb through the bike and reassemble and stuff. No reason to not get back out there.

Are you calling off Mid-Ohio Pro Am, as well? Anymore track days?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike

Yeah I am calling off the Pro Am as well. Worse thing is I felt like I checked all the things beside the motor. I am going to check the plugs this week, and if they look fine I may drain the tank and maybe have the Suzuki dealer check the fuel pump.

The rotors i was using in the dry when it started were warped a bit, but nothing I couldn't live with.

I know the motor felt fine, I just changed out the clutch plates the week before, and the shock was just serviced. Sitting here the only thing I can think of if it isn't the motor is some how the bolt from my rear brake lever is in my caliper some how, but I don't really see that as a possiblity.

I will probably do my control riding at Putnam the week of the Pro/AM now and try to hit a twilight at Mid OH as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chrisOH; 08-27-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel

Motorcycle: '06 R1 Raven; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; '14 Honda Grom; '15 Panigale 1299S

Damn Chris, that sucks and it was a bad day...but don't call it quits. You can't let it get the best of you.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike

Just calling it quits for the season... With only 2 races left and a good chance I may not get it fixed for next race I am cutting my losses now and going to prepare for next season, probably with a newer bike anyway.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR and a badass Yamaha Jog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisOH View Post
I will probably do my control riding at Putnam the week of the Pro/AM now and try to hit a twilight at Mid OH as well.
Who is putting that one on? NESBA?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike

Nah it is a local guy here in Cincy. Cycle Options is his company name to put the day on.

It is two days I will get to ride for free.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: kevinr

Sucks man. I may be screwed also. Going to take some frame measurements and see.

When it rains it pours eh?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: SV650 racebike, SV650S streetbike, etc

My season never really started

Chris, I hope you can get your bike issues solved!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2009 Safety First Race GSXR 600 SS

Bummer bro,
Bike issues can really destroy any motivation for riding.

Take some time, you might change your view.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 05-750 Track, 07-1K Street

Sorry to hear that man.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike

Hey I may have found the bike problem.

I moved my Rear sets back to the last spot back to try and more leverage to keep me up on the tank on acceleration so I can stay looser on the bars.

Well session before lunch the bolt that holds the rear brake lever to the Master Cylinder actuator came out (don't know how I loctited it and never touched) and I used a replacement. Flat hex head bolt and lock washer.

Well I see now there isn't much clearance between that bolt head and one of the line guides that mounts the line to the swingarm.

It is possible that when the Swing arm moved and flexed it was hitting that bolt and causing the rear brake to actuate. If that is true I am on lucky SOB.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: kevinr

You know, that is possible. I just installed a new rearset on that side with a fancy woodcraft brake lever. I am going to have to do something or I am going to have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode