Help with clutch - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Help with clutch

Hey guys my clutch is due for a replacement so i went ahead of watching youtube videos and seeing how much work it would be.
Deciding i would do it myself and save myself a lot of money in the process. Since it did not look very hard.
I did the job the other day but may have got one disk wrong and even had all disks one rotation off.
The bike started good shifted and ran good on a stand. I dident take it on the highway yet but did take a small drive thru town, and clutch was not slipping but power did not seem all the way there.
I tried looking in my bike manual but wasnt really seeing anything of help besides the adjuster.
I tried searching for a service manual for a 2011 gszr750 but could not.
Can someone please help me with finding one?

I also wanted to ask why there is a order to the plates?
At looking at them i noticed they all look the same except for small notches on the top ends 3 of them.
What is the reason for the particular order, they all lock into place and i dont see what that makes.

Thanks guys
appreciate the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:53 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Help with clutch

Brock Davidson has several videos here that are very helpful with general clutch issues. The K5/K6 1000 clutch mod pdf is also very helpful. You need to find the manual for your model. On the 1000 there are three different drive plate types and one or two different driven plates (to fine tune the stack height). The manual is vague about stack height but has specific information about everything else.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Yes, there is an order to the plates.

You can buy a manual from Suzuki.

Did you install the pushrod properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Brock Davidson has several videos here that are very helpful with general clutch issues. The K5/K6 1000 clutch mod pdf is also very helpful. You need to find the manual for your model. On the 1000 there are three different drive plate types and one or two different driven plates (to fine tune the stack height). The manual is vague about stack height but has specific information about everything else.
Thanks, i will be checking out those videos.
I ordered a service manual, so that will come very useful for me and any future work.

I did take the bike out this week and the bike is running good, feels like i may have lost some power but the clutch is not slipping.
When redoing the clutch i felt as i may have got one of the plates wrong. Surprising to me how the clutch install was.
Most of the plates are the same, i still dont understand how rotating the plates to lock in a certain rotation makes any difference rather then just any order?
Also one thing i was wondering was if the screws holding the clutch plates are tightened more then the recommended torque spec, could that possibly give a bit more power (obviously not overdoing tightening but just a little more) ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:50 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Brock also mentions that he doesn't know why the outermost drive plate goes into different slots but assumes that Suzuki and FCC, the original manufacturer, know what they're doing and aren't doing it for the fun of it.

It's a bit late but, for the record, you shouldn't be working on the bike without the Suzuki manual. You really ought to be able to find one to download. There's a fair chance that there's a link here somewhere.

There are no "screws holding the clutch plates". The plates are "held" by the pressure plate, which is under compression from the clutch springs. The screws that compress the springs are tightened until their washers bottom out on the hub posts. There shouldn't be anything to gain from overtightening the screws. The only way to increase tension is to use stronger springs, washers with less dish, or to shorten the posts. All are normally unnecessary and not recommended. The latter two might produce coil bind.
GodsCreat0r likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode