What the heck is this thing? And what does it do? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

What the heck is this thing? And what does it do?

Hey all,

I just picked up a 07 Gsxr 750 and as I was washing it I noticed something which seemed kind of out place. It a switch of some sort, maybe like a pressure switch? I assumed it was some sort of DIY theft-prevention device. The little nipple at the top can be pulled up (presumably activating whatever it is?
Anyway, if anyone knows what this is and cares to chime in, would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0301.jpg (105.1 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: SRAD
Re: What the heck is this thing? And what does it do?

Looks like stock brake switch...Upsidedown?
If your rear brake, lites work then you have a pressure switch.
If not, it's not connected, installed wrong, and missing a spring?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:35 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Your pic isn't good enough for me to tell for sure but many aftermarket rearsets don't have a provision for a mechanical rear master brake switch and a pressure actuated switch is used instead. Maybe that's what you have. One school of thought is that it isn't as safe since a mechanical switch will turn the brake light on when the lever is moved instead of waiting for pressure to build up. A mechanical switch may also be more reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Yep. Factory brake switch. Has a hole in that nipple where the spring would attach and pull on it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

rear lights work
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Squid

It does have aftermarket rear sets which was maybe going to be next post. lol, I feel like a fetus on this bike but have been comfortable on other gsxr's in the past. I'm attaching a pic of the bike.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Here is a pic with rear sets visible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize_1.jpg (289.7 KB, 27 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks everyone for the responses!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypage View Post
It does have aftermarket rear sets which was maybe going to be next post. lol, I feel like a fetus on this bike but have been comfortable on other gsxr's in the past. I'm attaching a pic of the bike.
So the tail light is on, and when you step on the rear brake, the brake light comes on? I'm not seeing how that could be true. The banjo bolt is visible and I don't see any wires coming from it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Garage

My 07 600 does not have that switch for the rear brake. But then again itís got an aftermarket rear set as well. I know when I step on rear brake it does not light up the brake lights, but my front brake switch does when I squeeze them. I searched all over on mine as I know from past bikes I always had a switch of some sort for the brakes when the rear brakes were applied as well as one for the front brakes as well. I was beginning to think that the bike wasnít supposed to have one for the rear as this is the my first GSX-R. Iíve always had either Kawasaki, Yamaha or Hondaís.
I guess on my 3 day weekend Iíll be tearing into her to see if there is a plug or something missing besides the switch itself.

Dannypage, thank you for posting this!

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
2004 Honda Shadow Aero 740
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I had my housemate check and he said they were, but then I checked again and they aren't, youre right. Should I try and connect to the front brake switch wiring harness or is that also pressure activated?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeps View Post
My 07 600 does not have that switch for the rear brake. But then again itís got an aftermarket rear set as well. I know when I step on rear brake it does not light up the brake lights, but my front brake switch does when I squeeze them. I searched all over on mine as I know from past bikes I always had a switch of some sort for the brakes when the rear brakes were applied as well as one for the front brakes as well. I was beginning to think that the bike wasnít supposed to have one for the rear as this is the my first GSX-R. Iíve always had either Kawasaki, Yamaha or Hondaís.
I guess on my 3 day weekend Iíll be tearing into her to see if there is a plug or something missing besides the switch itself.

Dannypage, thank you for posting this!
Ya, seems like something you definitely would want working. I haven't ridden street in a duration so I don't even remember how front brake heavy I am, but I imagine I would always want that rear brake to activate the brake light. My bike is disassembled presently for a tune-up and I would love to figure something out to make this operable again. I was thinking about splicing into the front brake wiring harness, but I assume that is pressure activated as well. Maybe some others will chime in with advice. I have a welder and was thinking I could possible fab a bracket, but I think the rear-sets are aluminum on mine, but I'll check later. This is all new to me. My last bike was GSX-R 1000 and I can't wait to get back on the horse.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Ya, seems like something you definitely would want working. I haven't ridden street in a duration so I don't even remember how front brake heavy I am, but I imagine I would always want that rear brake to activate the brake light. My bike is disassembled presently for a tune-up and I would love to figure something out to make this operable again. I was thinking about splicing into the front brake wiring harness, but I assume that is pressure activated as well. Maybe some others will chime in with advice. I have a welder and was thinking I could possible fab a bracket, but I think the rear-sets are aluminum on mine, but I'll check later. This is all new to me. My last bike was GSX-R 1000 and I can't wait to get back on the horse.
Yea I hear ya. I'm just glad that at least with the front brake the brake light still lights up. I even have wired in 2 RED LED strips that are stuck to my undertail into the signal wire at the main harness for added visibility (especially at night) for when the brakes are applied. I did find the switch before leaving for work tucked up under and ziptied to the suspension coil. Checking out Vortex racing now and see that they have a special set to connect the switch up with their rearsets. Going to see about purchasing it and getting installed ASAP!

~~Current Bike~~
2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
~~Past Bikes~~
1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R
2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
2004 Honda Shadow Aero 740
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeps View Post
Yea I hear ya. I'm just glad that at least with the front brake the brake light still lights up. I even have wired in 2 RED LED strips that are stuck to my undertail into the signal wire at the main harness for added visibility (especially at night) for when the brakes are applied. I did find the switch before leaving for work tucked up under and ziptied to the suspension coil. Checking out Vortex racing now and see that they have a special set to connect the switch up with their rearsets. Going to see about purchasing it and getting installed ASAP!
Let me know what you come up with. I'll probably do the same as you.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Let me know what you come up with. I'll probably do the same as you.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage

Quote:
I had my housemate check and he said they were, but then I checked again and they aren't, youre right. Should I try and connect to the front brake switch wiring harness or is that also pressure activated?
No. Most of the aftermarket stuff doesn't have mount for the factory brake swtich. While it's true that the front and rear brake switches are tied together in the harness, you don't want to try and patch them somewhere else. That switch probably is still plugged into the harness. What you need is something like this: https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/w...essure-switch/
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR600, 2015 Yamaha FJ09, 2015 Yamaha YZ450
Garage

Best budget solution. You should definitely have rear brake lights on the street.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/v...-light-switch/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vortex_Rear_Brake_LIght_Switch_1__17999.1494272191.jpg (52.4 KB, 2 views)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

THANK YOU! Definitely ordering one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode