• 1 Post By Revster
  • 1 Post By Kartel
  • 1 Post By Carnage
  • 2 Post By MacBayne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Ludicrous coolant position to check

Maybe I am being particularly thick, but I find it impossible to sight the coolant bottle in a meaningful
way on my newly acquired 750 k7. I have tried to wipe it cleaner in order to be able to see it better and
tried illuminating it with a torch too, but to no avail, I cannot make out any liquid moving around in there.

There are no warning lights on the dash, no suggestion it is low on coolant, I just cannot see to read the level,
even pressing the fairing against the bottle doesn't help from under the nose of the bike. Has anyone got any
bright ideas? Or is it just easiest to whip the fairing off as if it was going to be filled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Ludicrous coolant position to check

If you bought a used bike and have no idea what the coolant level is, it would behoove you to access the coolant tank to be absolutely sure it's not low on fluid as well as replace the old fluid.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yes it looks like the fairing will have to come off if there is no other way to read it. Design flaw
by Suzuki if you ask me ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegsl View Post
Yes it looks like the fairing will have to come off if there is no other way to read it. Design flaw
by Suzuki if you ask me ;-)
I can see mine by looking inside the fairing through where the forks go. To fill it requires moving the three screws.
thegsl likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I think yours is like my K6 1000. If you hold a small flashlight directly against the window, you can see the coolant level in the rest of the window. Alternately a flashlight shining down through the fairing/forks like Nick described will allow you to see the level. But you need a way to fix the flashlight while you're moving to look at the window. Try to angle the light so that it shines between the inner and outer cowling. Do it out of the sunlight, darker is better. Coolant color makes a difference. I use G-05 and it's pale yellow was very difficult to see. I was dyeing the coolant for other reasons and tried it here. It definitely helped but I think a blue or red would be more visible.
thegsl likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
This would be a good project. Flush it out and change it especially if you don’t know how old it is.
thegsl likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K4

I had 750 k6 which is exactly as k7 and I could see the level through square window in inner cover of undercowling designed to show the expansion reservoir. It also depends on the colour of the coolant - when I used yellow Prestone it was a bit tricky but usually one could see, rocking the bike sideways slightly helps as the fluid moves then. Putting a little torch from behind when You look from the front over the front wheel mudguard helps too.
I guess You may have an empty expansion tank if You see nothing Mate... check inside radiator as well if that's the case!
thegsl likes this.

Currently on GSXR-1000K4
used to have GSX-R750Y and GSX-R750K6(among other bikes).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the replies. I will experiment further with torch positions. I have been looking at the
window on the right of the bike from the left of the bike, from under the nose fairing. I cannot find
any other position at all from which to view the coolant bottle. I may just whip the the right front fairing off
and have a poke around anyway. Once I know what colour the coolant actually is I will consider a brighter
option potentially. Just seems amazing it is so hard to check something that should be checked before you
ride every time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Take fairing off on that side.
Take overflow reservoir off (or you can leave it on)
Take a permanent marker and highlight the Low and High position lines - lines are raised and just trace over the top of it to see it more clearly.
Use marker positions as a reference point & make a mark on the "front" (skinny front edge) of reservoir so you can see it more clearly from the front forks

Hope that helps.
thegsl likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K4

I wouldn't bother, the raised lines are good enough once you can see the liquid...
thegsl likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Plan to do a full coolant flush if you don't know the bike's history along with replacing all other fluids.
thegsl likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:55 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i

Who is to say that there is anything in the overflow at all? Did you fill it?

The bike may have steamed (I don't know the scientitious word) the reservoir dry.

When the filler on the rad of my 06 was damaged and lost it's shape and became more oval, after a track session, the cap wasn't holding the pressure in well enough and the steam pushed my reservoir dry. For a temp fix, I would just fill the overflow, again, every time until i replaced the rad.
750Squidiot and thegsl like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000k5
Garage

When my headgasket popped, I was suffering from cooking and losing coolant
Being a lazy bugger, I invented a pretty quick way to check the level of my reservoir and for topping off both that and the rad

-Just for inspection:
Grab you cellphone, switch on the light, squat at the right side and look forward into the cowling along the radiator so you can see the reservoir
Reach around with your arm (and phone) going into the "wheel/radiator well"
Put your phone (with the side that has the light) against the inner fairing and move around until you find the "window" and see your reservoir become illuminated

-As for filling up:
Attempt at own risk
Remove all bolts from the right side fairing that attach it to the bike (leave it attached to the left side fairing at the bottom), remove the big pushpin on the sidewall inside the wheel well
gently pull the topside of the fairing and the "pushknob" that's part of the fairing above the oil cap loose
You can probably get away with leaving it on the bottom "pushknob" since that's attached to the engine via a spring/wire connection

a few notes: Take it easy pulling the fairing loose from/pushing it back into place under the airduct
put something in between to keep the fairing spread open, but this have may only been my problem, since I had crashpads hindering movement
if anything, if it opens way too far to your taste -all you need is room to get your hand in-, tie the fairing to the clipon or something and put something under the cowling to diminish stress on the fairings

Now you can remove the radiator cap and a bit less easily the reservoir cap
Grab a funnel, a piece of hose, and a few gallons of coolant and go to town

Veni, Vidi, Vacuum! - I Came, I Saw and it Sucked!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

The bike is in for a full service now, and the coolant being replaced is one of the items
to be done. I did manage to sight it eventually using variations of the above methods. It was
low, not massively so, but this was one of the reasons I could not see it. My bike has crash bungs
fitted on it which make taking the faring off considerably more tricky as the plastics have been cut
through to fit the bungs, and there is the chance of engine movement when off. It is more a question
of Nightbat's idea of taking the fairing bolts out then pulling the plastic gently far enough away to be
able to see what is going on.

Overall it is still imo a poor set up for viewing coolant, at least at first, but it will be easier with a
correct level I hope in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode