Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

burning WOOD Smell after riding

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
Guys,
Rode today and when I finally came to a stop and cut the bike off, it smelled like Burning Wood . .. Not rubber, Not smoke, Not oil but a definite Wood Smell.

.... Now after that smell, i decided to head home and the bike cut off on me twice while i was cruising.. I let it rest for about 5 minutes and cranked it back up and rode another 5 miles. It shuts off again mid cruise!!!
I freaked out and decided to get the bike home and finish my ride till I ask you guys about this.

1. First comes the smell of burned wood .
2. Next comes the shutting off of the bike randomly mid cruise.

No fuel starvation issues or bucking or hesitation. Just changed the sparkplugs and always run 93.
Any ideas on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger

#6 ·
^That's where I was too. I'd normally also point at the R/R and it's connectors but if he can restart, more than once, it sounds like the problem is elsewhere. As a big stretch, there might be an intermittent short in the stator with the associated fumes coming out the breather. But I'm still skeptical of being able to restart if that was happening.

#7 ·
It happened too long ago for me to remember the details, but I'm pretty sure I didn't discover the source of the problem for quite a while (it started during a trip on vacation). That leads me to believe that the battery was kept relatively topped up despite the problem, which, as far as I can recall was due to the fact that only one of the three phase lugs was overheating, so the stator ran at 2/3 capacity, or a bit higher perhaps. If you ran it at high enough engine speeds and for long enough rides during the day (it was an older bike and the lights could be switched off) the battery was fine I think. Anyway, the upshot is that the R/R connection can't be ruled out entirely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.