• 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By Tim1nz
  • 1 Post By jjman
  • 1 Post By oldgixxer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

K9 gsxr 1000 de-cat

I'm looking at a gsxr1000 k9 n its got a mid pipe and yoshi muffler my question is do these have o2s in the exhaust and will it adjust the mixtures accordingly for the cat removal or would it realistically require a tune.

Cheers Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I've read alot any by the looks of it the bike will need a tune if cats been removed. My next question is the about the twin exhaust.

Am i able to change to a single exhaust and retain the cat? Change to a 2012+ cat where they went back to single exhaust?.

I just don't want to stuff round tuning a bike the 1000s make enough power as it is, id rather just know it's running right.
Just not a fan of the twin mufflers

Cheers Tim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Squid

Hi, well dunno about the 2012+ cats, but you can put a 4-1 with just a link pipe, and a muffler. No need for flash the ecu, but it would be a better choice depending on what kinda muffler you choose. Most of them have the probe hole, you just need to get rid of the error light FI, result of removing the cat! Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: K9 gsxr 1000 de-cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Hi, well dunno about the 2012+ cats, but you can put a 4-1 with just a link pipe, and a muffler. No need for flash the ecu, but it would be a better choice depending on what kinda muffler you choose. Most of them have the probe hole, you just need to get rid of the error light FI, result of removing the cat! Hope it helps.
Incorrect. The cat is a major restriction in the exhaust and once removed,you will most definitely need to have the bike tuned whether it be through the ECU or through a piggyback such as a PCV or Bazzaz.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Yea thats what i thought it is a major restriction and I just don't believe that I need to remove the cat on one of these bikes as they make enough power as it is. If nobodies got an idea how to retain the cat and have a single muffler on a k9 i might just have to wait for a 2012 to come up for sale. In the process of selling my k7 600 has been a good bike but think I've outgrown it. Want more torque. Any common problems with the 2009-2012 1000s.

Cheers Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Quote:
Incorrect. The cat is a major restriction in the exhaust and once removed,you will most definitely need to have the bike tuned whether it be through the ECU or through a piggyback such as a PCV or Bazzaz.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Squid

Well i didnt, had a full akro before, and all went good, the bike stayed '"round" and smooth.
In the other hand, with the termis Now i feel the need to get a fuel remap, or bazzaz becouse it went more "square" you know what i mean? This is my experience with it. Cheers
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1nz View Post
Any common problems with the 2009-2012 1000s.

Cheers Tim
K9's ate up cranks,several changes were made on the L3 and up. I had a L3 and it made decent power after I threw a few thousand dollars at it.

Quote:
Well i didnt, had a full akro before, and all went good, the bike stayed '"round" and smooth.
In the other hand, with the termis Now i feel the need to get a fuel remap, or bazzaz becouse it went more "square" you know what i mean? This is my experience with it. Cheers
Just because one does something does not automatically mean it is correct. Did you verify the AFR on a dyno under load? If you in fact did not,it's your engine and your money. I also bolted a full Akro on without a proper tune as Ak advertised that particular system would provide superior performance over stock without tuning. There is no way I'm taking their word because if my shit leaned out at redline and toasted a piston or valve,do you honestly think Akrapovic is footing the repair bill? I did this simply because I wan't able to get to my buddys shop for a tune for a few weeks&and I kept it under 9k til I could. Once on the dyno the AFR was erratic,fat in some areas lean in others.

I follow the school of thought where it's best to do things properly which I did. The AFR was off,and needed a tune to correct. Did it ride ok before the tune? So-so. Did it produce more power and ride significantly better after a proper tune? Absolutely. But advising another member to do the same as you and take a shortcut is not in that persons best interest.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 03-19-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
If you don't know what your AFR was, don't talk about if they do or do not need it. Period. Why? Because you have no clue what you're talking about due to having zero objective data.

You can, on the other hand, talk about how it feels. But, you cannot say you didn't need it, because you don't even know what your AFR is.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the knowledge guys i won't bother buying the k9 with full exhaust from a bike shop for 11k nzd i don't want to pay for a pcv and tune. L2 and up for me I'd say, ill be happy with a slip on and retaining the CAT. I'm sure it's going to make more then enough power to keep me happy compared to my k7 600.

Cheers Tim
oldgixxer likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000

Don't fear a tune mate. You will looooove how these bikes ride after a straight through exhaust and a tune. Will beat any other stock bike around for crisp torquey but smooth power delivery. And the other rule of thumb, you will always end up wanting more power. So a tune also delivers that too
oldgixxer likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjman View Post
Will beat any other stock bike around for crisp torquey but smooth power delivery
+1 they have a nice fat tq curve for a 1000cc in the mid-range which makes for fun street bike.
Not as much as a Busa or 14R,but more than the current crop of high strung high rpm liter bikes (10R,S1000R)
jjman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode