FI light / buckles at 6800RMP - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2009 Black GSX-R 1000
Question FI light / buckles at 6800RMP

FI light went on and it bucks at 6800. Was told locally that it could very well be bad gas.

Added a bottle of fuel system cleaner, and about 4 miles later...bike worked fine.

2 days later, same thing happened again. But it came and went this time.

Using 100 octane gas here in Greece, we more or less have 95 or 100. Back in the US, 93 was what I always used. Here, folks with nicer bikes use 100, not for the higher octane value, but because they say it's cleaner and less likely to be "watered down".

Was told to get as much gas out of the tank as I can, than refill again with 100 and include an octane booster as well?? Will an octane booster possibly help? Not sure how.

I had also replaced the battery today thinking maybe the battery is having an issue, nope. It's NOT the kickstand. I needed a new battery anyway so I tried. I'm thinking spark plugs?

Lastly...or most likely, bad pump? Perhaps the filter?

It bucks in each gear at 6800....but comes and goes. I'm trying to get to a dealership ASAP so I can have them look at it and pull the code. Just thought I would ask you guys here for thoughts until I'm able to get to the dealer. Thanks fellas...

DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: FI light / buckles at 6800RMP

If it bogs down, particularly, under load, you have a clogged fuel filter. But yours sounds more like the secondary actuator is acting up. Or maybe the EXCVA isn't opening. The code is likely to tell all. You need to have a dealer mode switch so that you can quickly get malfunction codes. They don't cost much. It can be done with a paper clip but you ought to have a switch.

I wouldn't expect water in the tank to produce a code.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: BMW R1100GS
Garage

If fuel cleaner helped, you might try removing the injectors and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner.

Use heat shrink to connect the inlet port of the injector to a pressurized can of carb cleaner, spray a healthy amount in, then put bursts of 12V on the contacts to activate the injector. Check the output to see if you get a nice and even spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Thanks BillV, I do need to get a switch again. Hopefully I can get to the dealership soon. Doubt it's water, it's never out when it rains...and it hardly does here. Again, thanks.

DH
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsacon View Post
If fuel cleaner helped, you might try removing the injectors and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner.

Use heat shrink to connect the inlet port of the injector to a pressurized can of carb cleaner, spray a healthy amount in, then put bursts of 12V on the contacts to activate the injector. Check the output to see if you get a nice and even spray.
Noted. I'll keep it in mind when I take it to the shop. Just moved and am short on both tools and time. Making a list of "possibles". Might have to wait until the weekend to get to a shop. Thanks!

DH
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Haven't taken it in yet....but is running fine right now. Will try and see if I can get to the shop in the AM. Thx fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode