Gauge Cluster Blanking Off - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Unhappy Gauge Cluster Blanking Off

Hello fellow riders

I'm trying to figure out what's the problem here.

When I start my bike, the gauge cluster didn't not light up and run how it usually suppose to be before I crank the engine.

After cranking the engine, the gauge is still blank. However, after moving off for awhile, the gauge came back alive, and all numbers runs as how its suppose to be. Another thing is that, before I even move off, if I were to press and hold on the the starter button (the button that we crank and start our bike), the cluster lit up and started working, but once I stop holding on the the button, the cluster went blank once again.

Could it be the battery that is possibly due for a change as it is weak? Or there is some exposed wire connections as it just happened after a passing by rain shower when I was about to take the bike out for a ride?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Gauge Cluster Blanking Off

Can't be 100% certain,but usually when certain electrical things (such as the gauge cluster,random engine warning lights blinking upon pressing the start button,etc),start to act funky typically the battery is weak and needs to be replaced.
Test the battery voltage under load while cranking,then while sitting still
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:16 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Gauge Cluster Blanking Off

Check the front turn signals when the cluster won't come on. If they're also bad, you probably have a ground problem; probably at the six pole connector to the front harness. You could also try disconnecting and reconnecting the cluster connector. Look for moisture and/or corrosion while you're there. Check if the brake light works OK when the cluster is out.

OG's right about the battery must be good. But it sounds like you don't have a problem cranking. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode