Advice on first mod's please! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Advice on first mod's please!

Hi there

Just picked up a 2010 GSX-R1000, it's the first sports bike I've owned and I'm keen to mod a few things. My main use for it will be canyon riding, also known as touge.

I've mod'd lots of cars over the years, so I'm not completely ignorant but looking for some advice on the GSX-R1000 specifically.

Which exhaust system gives the best results? Which ones are the best value? Air filters?

Same question for tunes ... Bazzaz, Power Commander, other?

What about bike protection pieces? Which offer the most protection / dollar?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to giving back to the community as my knowledge and experience grows.

Cheers
Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:00 AM
Provisional Novice

Re: Advice on first mod's please!

1000 for your first bike eh? I would learn to ride it before you start dumping money into it in case you.. well dump it. Not wishing that on you by no means but everyone drops their first bike. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:30 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage

Hi, Welcome Rod!

Most 1000's are very capable bikes, let alone one from the last 10-15 years.

I'd say spend money on maintenance things like oil, oil filter, tyres, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, brakes etc... doing the periodic checks the manual says to do. As you get more comfortable with your bike and its controls, book a track day.

Track days are the best money you will spend on your bike along with tyres. More power is great, but have you run low 10's in it yet? have a crack down the 1/4 and see how much it actually has in it from factory before you start pouring money into it without having the capability of riding what you have to its potential. before searching for my power ask yourself how often do you find yourself on the throttle stop in gear one?

If the answer to that is very often, go get more power, if its not often work towards getting comfortable first.

Ride safe and all the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Sorry, just to clarify, it's my first proper sports bike ... not my first bike.

I've been riding for about 6 years now and done about 4 advanced rider training courses, prior to this I was riding a 500cc regularly and borrowing a GSX-R750 from time to time. I'm 41 so I'm not young, dumb and full of ... ego.

I just don't want to spend money on a part to later wish that I'd spent a bit extra and got something else.

Are there any dyno comparisons for different exhausts / filters? I know that sort of thing is available for modifying cars but maybe the individual brand isn't such a big deal with bikes? Moreso whether it is a full system or just a slip-on?

Are GB Racing, R&G, Yoshi or someone else better for the protection pieces?

Do any tuning options work better than others? Especially with regards to features like quickshift, traction control, launch control and anti-wheelie?

Appreciate your concern, but I don't need advice on being responsibile ... I have a wife and four kids to remind me of that!
bobbylink likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage
OK good on you, I'd still recommend going 1/4 mile so you get a good feel on what it already has.

As far as mods to go quicker...
Air filters, I think the sprint seems to be the best, of course you lose filtration however you gain a little.
For exhausts, either cut and weld (I've seen it work) where the cat is or buy a full system. Look around, generally what you pay for is what you get, with the reality good work systems fetching a lot.
Gearing, could go down 1 at the front and up what ever you like at the back. Down 1 seems to be a good compromise bet depends on individuals. Going a 520 pitcj can also help.
As far as tuning, the go to seems to be an ecu flash, and I agree. Can do just about anything through it, including running a quickshifter.
Brakes change the master cylinder to a brembo Rcs19 or a cosra and do lines. Pads to what ever you like the feel of.
Get your suspension serviced and set up for you. Makes a big difference.
Pair removal/block off.

That's all I can think of for now. All the best.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks, great summary.

Looks like I've found a Jardine GP1 in decent condition for less than a third of the new price.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Forget the Jardine ... utter rubbish
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

I had a mildly modded L3 which is basically the same as your L0. Forget the Jardine exhaust,it's junk.

If you're looking for more rwhp:
Invest your money on an Akrapovic pipe,get a PCV and or custom ECU flash for fueling. Utilize the OEM air filter vs an aftermarket filter,the HP gain on a stock engine is negligible. Do a 520 chain/sprocket conversion and go -1 on the CS.

My L3 made 190rwhp+ and had a killer midrange with the head/cam combo I chose. I used a BMC Race air filter and it made exactly 1rwhp more than the OEM Suzuki air filter and that was with a ported head/cams. With full bolt-on's and a good custom tune you can expect 175ish rwhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06204.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	552406  
Carnage likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks so much for all the feedback.

I've decided I just want some noise for now to make sure I'm not so invisible as my bike is black, the stock bike has enough power to get me into trouble so it's probably best I get complete control of that first.

Picked up a used Jardine GP1 for $150 ($550 new here in Australia) and I'll grab a tail tidy together with some protection pieces.

Now to get out and ride as much as possible!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First OPH 02.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	577.1 KB
ID:	552438   Click image for larger version

Name:	First OPH 01.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	552440   Click image for larger version

Name:	First OPH 03.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	627.2 KB
ID:	552442  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:14 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolt77 View Post
Hi there

Just picked up a 2010 GSX-R1000, it's the first sports bike I've owned and I'm keen to mod a few things. My main use for it will be canyon riding, also known as touge.

I've mod'd lots of cars over the years, so I'm not completely ignorant but looking for some advice on the GSX-R1000 specifically.

Which exhaust system gives the best results? Which ones are the best value? Air filters?

Same question for tunes ... Bazzaz, Power Commander, other?

What about bike protection pieces? Which offer the most protection / dollar?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to giving back to the community as my knowledge and experience grows.

Cheers
Rod
Top of my list would be the 55 profile rear tyre, it makes a really big difference to the handling in corners.
bobbylink likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfall2008 View Post
Top of my list would be the 55 profile rear tyre, it makes a really big difference to the handling in corners.
Good tip, I'll remember that when it comes time to replace it.
springfall2008 likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

1 - get the suspension properly setup/adjusted for your weight and intended usage. If you are within the weight range of the stock springs that may mean just twisting a few of the adjusters to fine tune it. If you are significantly heavier or lighter than the stock springs then you should consider respringing and adjusting to suit.

2 - go sign up for a trackday and find out just how capable the bike already is in stock trim. Then based on that you can make an actual INFORMED decision on what if anything should be modded rather than tossing useless nickel and dime junk on the bike that's not going to make much of a difference in how it rides.

A off the showroom floor modern 1000 makes way more power than can be properly utilized on the street so trying to make the bike more powerful is not a wise choice of "first mod". The best thing you can do is make the bike properly setup for your weight and riding. When the suspension is properly working, everything else works better. When the suspension is improperly setup then everything the bike does will be sub-par.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:26 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Air cleaner per Suzuki: "The life of the engine depends largely on this component." The one horsepower that you gain could cut your engine life in half. Stay with the OEM filter.

Don't know about models with a cat converter but the Jardine GP1 is mainly good for making sounds that will annoy everyone, including those riding with you. It will lower your horsepower. Sell it to someone whose priority is "look at me".

The GB Racing covers are probably the best available. I don't think that there's much difference in frame, etc. sliders between manufacturers as long as you get a basic delrin type along the lines of the Yoshimura product. The only exception is the LSL slider, which was once sold by Suzuki as an accessory. What little feedback I've seen has been favorable.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Don't know about models with a cat converter but the Jardine GP1 is mainly good for making sounds that will annoy everyone, including those riding with you. It will lower your horsepower. Sell it to someone whose priority is "look at me".
The great part about the Jardine GP1 is it retains the cat which is great at keeping the boys in blue happy.

Whilst I'm not normally an attention seeker, the real reason for fitting the exhaust is to get some attention ... from car drivers.

Loud pipes save lives, right?!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Quote:
No they don't. Not even close. If I'm on the highway with the windows up and AC on, I don't hear Harley straight pipes until they are passing me. And if we're on local roads, I'm certainly not hearing it if you are coming at me or from a road to the sides if the exhaust is facing away from me. Only time I can hear them is if you are in front of me.

Cops don't care about cats. If it's obnoxiously loud is what they're going to care about.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
The great part about the Jardine GP1 is it retains the cat which is great at keeping the boys in blue happy.

Whilst I'm not normally an attention seeker, the real reason for fitting the exhaust is to get some attention ... from car drivers.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:

Loud pipes don't do a thing other than annoy the people you don't want to annoy. If you think loud pipes are going to save your life, you're riding wrong. You can have an electric bike and be just as "visible" as having straight pipes on a Harley
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Loud pipes don't do a thing other than annoy the people you don't want to annoy. If you think loud pipes are going to save your life, you're riding wrong. You can have an electric bike and be just as "visible" as having straight pipes on a Harley
You've never been nearly run over by an electric car while you were crossing the street.

Quiet vehicles are dangerous.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks guys, appreciate your opinions on the loud pipes saving lives thing.

Anyway, Jardine GP1 is on and it is pretty darn loud ... I'll try fitting the butt plugs over the weekend and if that doesn't work then I'll sell it off and grab a couple of aftermarket cans like the Leo Vince setup or something.

Any feedback on the Leo Vince dual muffler setup?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 02:53 AM
Squid

1.) Go to a riding school.
2.) Buy a kawasaki ninja250/300 and get use to riding it.
3.) Do alot of track days and take a lesson on how to ride on the track.
4.) THEN you can buy a litrebike and hit the local tqisty eoads in your area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode