Sputtering - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Sputtering

In need of some advice. I have a 2011 gsxr 1000. Recently installed lowering links and in the process had to remove the exhaust and since then is when the problem started. Never have I had this problem but today after riding about 10 min I could feel the bike start to sputter but when I would give it more throttle it would get past the sputtering and get back to it's normal power. The longer I rode the worst it got while trying to make it home. When I got home I noticed the exhaust was glowing and extremely hot. The only thing I can think of is that when I removed the exhaust I put it on a 2x4 under the bike to avoid removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust and it ended up being knocked off. I'm thinking it may have damaged the wires to the sensor when it fell and pulled on them. Any ideas would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Sputtering

When you say the exhaust was glowing, which part are you referring to? The headers near the engine or the muffler can? Did you somehow modify the exhaust, or did you just remove it and reinstall it? Do you see 'FI' flashing on the dash?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Not on the header side more less near the cat. It's a jardine gp1 exhaust. All I did was remove it and slip it back on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

QUOTE=dpapavas;9500482]When you say the exhaust was glowing, which part are you referring to? The headers near the engine or the muffler can? Did you somehow modify the exhaust, or did you just remove it and reinstall it? Do you see 'FI' flashing on the dash?[/QUOTE] and no F1 flash untill I unplugged the O2 sensor.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 AM

Sputtering indicates improper fueling and a glowing exhaust indicates a (very) lean fuel mixture, which would lead to raised exhaust gas temperatures. I find it puzzling that the glowing starts so far downstream of the exhaust valves. One explanation, would be incomplete burning of fuel, leading to unburnt fuel in the exhaust, which then ignites near the catalytic converter, because you've left a leak there, introducing oxyge. Whatever the case, fueling seems to be off, and you don't have any fault codes, so, given the actions that led to the problem, I'd suspect you've somehow messed up with the HO2 sensor, which now (possibly due to the aforementioned leak) sends an incorrect, but within spec signal to the ECU.

Try disconnecting the HO2 sensor, to see if the sputtering goes away. Do not operate the engine more than you need to under these conditions, that is, if you see the sputtering is still there with the sensor disconnected, do not wait for the exhaust to start glowing to shut the engine down.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I did start it with the O2 sensor off and by all means it doesn't run an smooth as it should which is expected but it does run better then before. I've already order a new sensor being I'm pretty sure that was my problem. The only time I get a F1 code is immediately after unplugging the o2 sensor. Then when I start it the code clears
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Any chance you've introduced leaks in the exhaust, near where the HO2 sensor is mounted?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

No, I don't think so. I think when the exhaust was hanging under the bike by only the support of the O2 sensor it may have damaged one of the wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode