What oil do you run? - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:26 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: What oil do you run?

Just came across this:

Taken at face value, you shouldn't be using Rotella in K7 up unless you've removed the cat. I gather that the issue is the high phosphorus level.

However the problem that I have with this is that Rotella is widely sold for use in cars, which have had catalytic converters for aeons. You'd think that there would have been an uproar from those owners by now if the issue was real. Nonetheless this is coming directly from Shell. Go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2018 GSXR750L8 Metallic Triton Blue

Came across this last week. Testing done by Amsoil so you could hardly call it independent but where I found it useful is in the comparison between the OTHER oils in the test.

Its getting a bit old now but still useful information.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...cycle_Oils.pdf
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
What does your manual say? Only the manual knows best.
Use whatever weight is recommended in your manual (10-40 for me) then get synthetic. The weight should match the manual because these are high-revving, low-tolerance engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Just came across this:

Taken at face value, you shouldn't be using Rotella in K7 up unless you've removed the cat. I gather that the issue is the high phosphorus level.

However the problem that I have with this is that Rotella is widely sold for use in cars, which have had catalytic converters for aeons. You'd think that there would have been an uproar from those owners by now if the issue was real. Nonetheless this is coming directly from Shell. Go figure.

Interesting find! I definitely didn't have a cat, nor usually run one on any bike, but still good news to share!
gcuntmor likes this.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Here's some similar info from a non-Shell source. An independent test of Rotella T 15W-40 found the phosphorus level to be 965 ppm vs 600-800 ppm for API SN (introduced in 2010).

P.S. BobIsTheOilGuy is a better source but I think what's going on is that phosphorus is not being added for it's own sake but is a side effect of adding zinc as an anti-wear additive in the form of zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (aka ZDDP). The adverse effect on catalytic convertors is forcing the oil manufacturers to take other routes.

Last edited by BillV; 11-20-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

But read what the phosphorus is good for..... F-the converter...
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

Clean oil is best oil!! Change it like you change underwear and you will never have an issue.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Squid

Rotella and motul, are good, mobil is descent, put amsoil in my L7 750 for oh 3 blocks. Every Body on here seems to be infatuated with AM soil but when you pour it in it looks like the crapped that comes out of my bike after I've given it a hard run. If you really wanna see some crazy stuff going down your funnel get Castrol 4 stroke GTX. When the bottle is about out of oil the drips will hit the funnel in explode in 2 small little oil ball bearings. It's specifically designed to stick to your parts because we all know these bikes are a noisy start already and so a Lucas like film is good to have. I had a 2006 750 that I started the Castrol Around 12:00 miles and it runs better than my 2017 Does at its current 1400 miles. And that's why I'm ordering it off the Internet now. It's a semi synthetic so it will keep your rings nice in juicy and these transmissions seem to really enjoy swimming in it also. Just my experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode