2Likes
  • 1 Post By oldgixxer
  • 1 Post By dpapavas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Phantom oil leak

Alright to start this off I'm on a 2011 GSXR 1000. 13k miles

Started to get an oil leak not too long ago, not sure which owner # I am.. But I've put less than 50 miles on the stupid thing.

I've replaced the oil filter with a K&N chrome one (hoping oil would spit all over it) and nothing.

Oil leak is coming from left side of motor.. I've narrowed it down below the head. Cylinder #1 area.
All on the left side to the stator cover (half of it) is covered in oil after it reaches anything above 170. I can smell the oil burning, I can see the smoke, but I can't find the leak to save my life.
Removed stator cover, new gasket and used the black gasket maker for a good fit. Used red threadlock on the bolts to avoid them rattling loose while in motion. Thought that would fix and nothing...

Sorry, I'm agitated writing this. So hopefully it makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2013 GL 1800 Lvl 3 Super Comp Kawaski 1425 Drag Bike 1425 Kawaski Turbo NOS pro Street 2012 DR 650 2001 GSXR 1000
Garage
Re: Phantom oil leak

Second leak in the last few days...IMO...You need to really wash the entire engine,so no oil,grease is left.

Let it dry real good...with the left fairing off, (or whatever you need to remove to see the entire area) get a good shop light start the bike and just look for the leak... once you see the leak,wipe it off, let it leak again...just make sure it is not leaking from other places as well!

If there are screws,bolts etc. around the leaking area...try to see if they are loose, don't over torque them, or your next post will be "How do I remove a broken bolt"

If they are all tight: Replace seal, gasket, O Ring whatever, and you should be good to go.

Good Luck

John
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Problem is, I had already thought of that.

I took cleaner to the engine and bike and got it as clean as I could (couple nooks I just couldn't get to)
I've had my brother crack the throttle and go through the RPM's at random to see if anything would weep out.
Unfortunately the oil just burns while the bike is at idle. I can take it for a quick ride (maybe a mile at most) and I have oil all down the left side of the engine, shoe, etc.

This is driving me crazy, I can grab some pictures later and see what happens. My next bet is throwing the gopro on the front fender and hoping I see whats going on, just not sure it would get the area needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Sounds like you need to take it for an even shorter ride(you mentioned you rode it a mile),then pull over on the side of the road and start checking for leaks since the other method(s) you tried did not produce the expected results.
JGDJR likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

I would check where I have the black and red arrows drawn. Have you also made sure that the valve cover gasket is not damaged?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Valve cover isn't damaged, everything around it is dry as the desert heat.

Black arrow, nothing.
Red arrow oil around the entire area. but also goes down to the oil pan.

Everything in blue is covered.

I'll clean it up one more time and get into those cracks if it kills me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gixxer motor.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	518754  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Garage

That plug indicated by the red arrow may be damaged, and that could be spraying oil everywhere. Which would suck, because I believe you may have to split the case to replace it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
That plug indicated by the red arrow may be damaged, and that could be spraying oil everywhere. Which would suck, because I believe you may have to split the case to replace it.
Nope that is fine

alright since it's been a while.. Besides the case seams, oil cooler, oil temp (whatever it is at the front of motor) stator cover..

What in that area am I missing that oil can seep out of?
might as well list them all that can be thought of and I'll go through it one by one..

Just trying to avoid the dealership, I know it's something stupid and I'm over thinking it
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage

The oil filter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

You might be having the same problem as in the K5/K6 section. There's a seal in the water pump nose that keeps engine oil away from the pump's mechanical seal. If the oil seal fails, oil will come out the drain hole in the side of the nose. See 1F-13 in the service manual (downloadable) and the note at the start of the removal section. If it's leaking there, the leaked oil should mainly be showing up low and on the left side between the water pump and the crankcase. Unfortunately the oil seal sits deep in the pump and I don't see any easy way to inspect it. I couldn't find a pic of the drain hole in the service manual, including the cutaway drawing, but here it is:

I wasn't aware of the hole until recently and thought that the K5/K6 leak was something else.

This is a screwball idea but I think that you can pull the pump out a ways without disconnecting the cooling hoses. This would allow you to look for oil in the vicinity of the hole. Then you MIGHT be able to put a bit of rolled up paper towel or toilet paper in the hole and come back later to see if it's saturated with oil, which would indicate a leak. But try to keep the paper from being pushed into the interior of the pump nose. The input shaft has a notch that engages the oil pump so some fiddling around might be needed if the shaft turns while it's out.

50 miles sounds like the previous owner knew about the leak.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

No that's not it..

I'll clean it up again and figure out where I can attach a gopro without falling off
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Here's more on Nick's red arrow leak, which could easily be it. J-B Weld is a crap shoot for a repair but it's a lot easier than splitting the case.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Alright, I JB Welded the red arrow for that stupid plug..
Even pulled the water pump off and replaced the o-ring for SNG since it was cheap enough.

But I'm still getting sprayed.. I'm at my witts end..

How bad would "Stop leak" be at this point?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage

It's no guarantee that the JB weld would work, so I'd still say that you need to get the GoPro and record where it is spraying from. Stop Leak will not do anything.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Why would an oil leak not be visible in neutral? I know the OP said it just burns off at idle, but, since it leaks at such a high rate as to cover everything after a mile, it should be possible to see it leak in neutral keeping the enigne speed up (say 5000-6000rpm) for a a brief amount of time. The leak rate should only depend on oil pressure, hence engine speed as far as I can see (and it shouldn't be necessary to redline it or anything, since the pressure relief valve will cap off the oil pressure well before that anyway).

Of course a shorter ride, at lower engine speeds, as has been suggested, would also work.
JGDJR likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2013 GL 1800 Lvl 3 Super Comp Kawaski 1425 Drag Bike 1425 Kawaski Turbo NOS pro Street 2012 DR 650 2001 GSXR 1000
Garage

This is not rocket science...If you wash everything so there is no oil remaining, and everything is DRY...Then hold or place the bike level (rear Stand) Then start the bike..like suggested rev to about 4000/5000 rpm...get a good bright flash light...hell even ask a friend (your brother) to look with you (four eyes better than two)

You just have to see where this oil leak is coming from...Don't just start the bike let it run for 15 seconds... you say...."Unfortunately the oil just burns while the bike is at idle"... If it is burning...then you should for sure be able to find the leak...

Have some patience...you will FOR SURE find it.

John
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Well I did end up finding it.

Ended up pinching a gasket under the valve cover (around spark plugs)

Replaced the gasket and all is good on that end.

On to the new issue
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Garage

Hahaha, that was my very first thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode