2009 GSX-R1000 restriction - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2009 GSX-R1000
2009 GSX-R1000 restriction

At the moment, my bike has a custom AF map. Out of curiosity, though, aside from the top speed being limited and all the other stuff, how restricted is this bike in terms of horsepower numbers? I've read from multiple sources that the secondary throttle valves close a bit and that the ignition timing is retarded (for the purpose of passing emissions requirements) at the top end at the lower gears (or maybe even the upper gears?), thus some of the potential horsepower is corked up. Also, for those of you who have flashed your ECU, what were the results?

Last edited by spinj; 07-04-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2014 gsxr1000
Re: 2009 GSX-R1000 restriction

the main restrictions are in 1st t0 3rd the ignition is retarded in the lower to mid rpm range and yes with a flash that's removed as well as secondary throttle plates opened up
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Thanks for responding, frocket. When you say the secondary throttle plates are opened up, do you mean at the top end of the rev range or the low to mid range where the ignition is retarded? (thus the retardation because the valves are closed a bit) Are the plates closed a bit even at the higher gears? Have you flashed the ECU on your bike? I have looked at the Woolich kit with the autotune/auto log box and the Flash Tune kit, but I feel I need to do more research on them.

Is there anyone here with experience on either or both? I'd like to hear your opinions or reviews.

Last edited by spinj; 07-04-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Note that the so-called restriction in the lower gears, that is the change in ignition timing affects only mostly-closed throttle operation and relatively low engine speeds. I'm not entirely sure what its purpose is (though I would guess increased engine braking) and though it might lower engine output under those conditions, I think one can hardly call something a "restriction", if it happens mostly while engine-braking and all you have to do to overcome it, is open the throttle a few degrees more. Similarly, charge intake is generally significantly more complicated than "more open is better", hence not fully open secondaries might well have other purposes, than restricting output (although that sounds more likely to be intended for restriction that the ignition timing changes in lower gear maps).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2014 gsxr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinj View Post
Thanks for responding, frocket. When you say the secondary throttle plates are opened up, do you mean at the top end of the rev range or the low to mid range where the ignition is retarded? (thus the retardation because the valves are closed a bit) Are the plates closed a bit even at the higher gears? Have you flashed the ECU on your bike? I have looked at the Woolich kit with the autotune/auto log box and the Flash Tune kit, but I feel I need to do more research on them.

Is there anyone here with experience on either or both? I'd like to hear your opinions or reviews.
no I havnt yet had a flash on my L4 as I am also looking into the best way to go from what I have been told that the gear based ignition restrictions is in the 1st 3rd of throttle and makes quite abit of difference when removed my understanding is the throttle plate opening up more is in the mid to full rpm range cheers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Thanks guys! Coincidentally, having checked out motorcycle.com this morning, to my surprise they currently have a short explanation on the reasons for the power restrictions. Click on the link below.

Where?s the Missing Horsepower?

Anyway, I've had this bike since I bought it brand new; it was purchased in 2009. And to this day, even with the current literbikes, I still love my K9. Aside from just being fast and nimble, its appearance, to me, doesn't look dated in the least bit.

Last edited by spinj; 07-05-2017 at 09:12 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K9 1K,
Garage

There are both ignition & fuel maps on here (stock) where you can see the timing has "0" advance at full throttle. I believe a flash is the only way around that, could be wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

I'd always thought that the timing retard was on the 1000's, and in the first 3 gears to make it more 'streetable'- wheelie a git less and not slide out as much when accelerating in tight corners, etc.
I have seen dynos that proved this to be true- sorry, no link to it right now.
I also do NOT know for sure which bikes have this.

I will say that now having 2 K5 1K's, (like that better skid?), the one with the Bazzaz Z bomb TRE is more jittery/wheelie prone - both with the same gearing, no SETA valves, and aftermarket mufflers. K5 didn't have a Cat. The TRE = timing retard Eliminator.- thus giving it a bit more in the first 3 gears. I think it also removes the top end limiter too?

A good flash will do this and more as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

See post below

Last edited by spinj; 07-06-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

All right guys. Brock Davidson just posted this video today of his 2017 GSX-R1000 project bike. The video shows that at least for the new Gixxer literbike, with its throttle-by-wire system, it is indeed restricted and that the throttle blades close quite a bit and limit some of the power (in my opinion, a huge amount) the bike is capable of putting out. The way he proves this is by far, personally, the best way of doing so--by catching it on video and including empirical data to go along with things. Anyway, in the video, Brock also flashes the ECU (using Flash Tune) to remove the restriction and shows the results after doing so by putting the bike on a dyno. Click on the link below.

Last edited by spinj; 07-06-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode