missing at idle, sputtering and cutting out below 5k - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

missing at idle, sputtering and cutting out below 5k

hey guys, really hoping you can help my moral here.
I literally just drove my new to me 09 gsxr 1000 home off the lot,
and the idle is really choppy. IT rest right around 1100 but every few seconds itll "blip" and jump to 1300ish and return to 1100 then "blip" up again. its not a surge and for the most part it idles fine.

The bigger issue is under normal/partial throttle below 5k rpms it sputters, its missing, and it cuts in and out.
Past 5000 it pulls like a beast.

All I can tell thus far is it has a taylor made exhaust, a pc5 (unknown map), some lame ass LED's and a gps unit.
I only mention that because my thought was maybe a bad ground. it really seems to be electronic or maybe ignition related.
My 2nd thought is plugs. It is not gear dependent but seems to be the most dramatic under load. it revs mostly freely but again its missing at idle.

My other thought was to try a new map, but I have a chrome book and just realized I cant use the right software on this damn thing for the power commander.

All in all I am very dissapointed being that I JUST bought this thing.

I have read about adjusting the tps but that doesnt seem to make up for the missing at idle.
And its not like its cutting out at idle, its like its jumping up a tad.

Ive been searching google all night before joining here to ask.

Any help is beyond appreciated. I really dont want it to go sit back at the dealer for weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:29 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage
Re: missing at idle, sputtering and cutting out below 5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew121 View Post
I literally just drove my new to me 09 gsxr 1000 home off the lot
Nothing to do with your issues but be ready for members asking your riding experience and if this is your first bike. Pet peeve is when a rider says "driving/drove" instead of ride/rode as you drive a car and ride a bike.

Now, you say you doubt it's the TBS but worth a check as it is easy and quick to do. Second thing is check the plugs as it is a new to you bike and you likely have little/no knowledge about the maintenance history and plugs should be changed every 7,000 miles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

well for the record I am 31 years old and have been riding since I was 14 on dirt bikes, Ive owned every one of the major liter bikes besdies a suzuki this is my first one,
I have had an rc51, a couple 1000rr's, 3 crossplane r1's and numerous 600's over the years.

I am pretty mechanically inclined. I just sold off my 1st gen zx10r I had laying around to come up with the down payment for this gsxr, and I just put a head gasket in that.
I am not scared of getting dirty. But I was hoping to avoid wrenching more than riding which is what I had been doing.

I am going to pick up some plugs tomorrow, try to adjust the tps, and then clear the maps in the pc5 if all else fails unplug it completely.

I just would like to think that the dealer certainly couldnt have checked this bike out and attempted to sell it this way. Im guessing its a sudden issue. Allot of what I am finding is leading to be spark plugs. It does have 14k miles. I live in south TX so bikes down here usually run higher in miles.
Im just hoping I am not going down the rabit hole chasing some problem, because at that rate Ill just take the bike back and get something different if its not too late for that.
Ive always wanted a k9 1000, so Im going to be pretty dissapointed all things considered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Do you know if the bike has a TRE? If it does but is not a smart TRE it could account for the odd idle...maybe.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Good point about the TRE. Also if clearing the PC5 maps doesn't fix the issue, I'd disconnect it entirely, temporarily at least, just to take it out of the equation. Check your vacuum hoses for rips, or anything that might cause vacuum leaks. Your fuel pump/filter should be ok, since it pulls past 5k rpm at load, but doing a fuel flow test anyway wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, check your battery voltage at idle and at 5k rpms, even though you'd have trouble starting the motor in the first place if you had a charging system problem.

If the bike's been sitting for a long time at the lot, you might have gunked up injectors. After 5k rpm the secondaries come on and they might be helping the situation, although, if the primaries are gunked up, I'd be expecting problems at higher engine speeds and loads too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:27 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Check that the switch on the clutch lever is connected and working properly. These bikes can have strange idle-related problems if it's missing or malfunctioning. Beyond that, the ISC valve might be gunked up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Call the dealership and take it back. You shouldn't be making a troubleshooting thread after you "literally just drove 'your new to you' 09 gsxr 1000 home off the lot." Since you financed the bike, I will assume that you bought it from a reputable dealer that will stand behind their products. Let us know how it goes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Take it back, make them fix it if you can. If not, first thing I'd be doing is ripping off the Taylormade exhaust and GPS unit. And look for a TRE. Then I'd put either a stock or high quality exhaust on it, put new plugs in it, and tune it at a dyno shop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000

im concerned that you bought this when it was behaving like this.
did you buy it without hearing it idle and rev? hope you got it for a steal...

how many kms on the bike? service history come with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode