Rainy stutter - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Rainy stutter

Hi All

It's been a week since I picked up my K9 and what a ride so far. Keeping the front wheel down is a full time job

This morning on my way to work (about 20 minutes in soft rain) the bike started stuttering occasionally. It appears to be OK at steady throttle but as soon as you try and accelerate it starts.

My somewhat obvious guess would be that water is causing the problem, as it has been trouble free for the last week, but where the water is causing havoc is the question. Are there any obvious places to start having a look, electrical connectors, drenched air filter etc. etc.?

I ride damn near every day of the year, so will have to fix whatever it is really well

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oreld22z2o...A0001.jpg?dl=0

Thanks and Peace.

R

2009 GSXR 1000 Midnight Purple 19000kms
Pipercross Filter - LeoVince Slip-on (with mid pipe) - Pirelli Angel GT Front/Back

Last edited by rafcom; 07-26-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Doesn't exist if there is no picture ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: Rainy stutter

Never mind, found the culprit. The previous owner was/is a twit. He installed a dodgy quick shifter (the electronics seems to have been getting wet for a while, there was even a piece of cloth wedged in the little boxy) that is basically busy falling apart and to make matters worse he did a TERRIBLE job with the wiring. I assume he extended the ignition ground cable (haven't popped off the airbox to check) to under the seat, but the cable had a few joints in it where he simply twisted the wires together and taped it closed. Cut it all out and will trace the cable back to it's origin over the week end to complete the "deinstall".

It should be illegal for certain people to handle tools

2009 GSXR 1000 Midnight Purple 19000kms
Pipercross Filter - LeoVince Slip-on (with mid pipe) - Pirelli Angel GT Front/Back
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage
Re: Rainy stutter

Glad you figured it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode