1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anthony D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000
warped rotors

Hey guys.
So after upgrading my pads (EBC HH) and brake lines (goodridge braided steel) it seems my rotors have warped. (rotors had 24k kms/ 15k miles on them)

First question is what is people's experience with this? are the K9-11notorious for warping rotors? reason I ask is that Australia is largely out of stock on (decent) replacement rotors making me wonder how much this happens. Also a mechanic I spoke to said he sees this a lot in the modern sportsbikes with powerful brakes and otherwise minimalist rotors to save rotating weight.

Second question is, what experiences and reccomendations do people have a potential replacement rotors? (OEM and BREMBO out of the price range). Ive used MetalGear before and impressed but they are out of stock until February!

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: suzuki, honda
Garage
Re: warped rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjman View Post
Hey guys.
So after upgrading my pads (EBC HH) and brake lines (goodridge braided steel) it seems my rotors have warped. (rotors had 24k kms/ 15k miles on them)

First question is what is people's experience with this? are the K9-11notorious for warping rotors? reason I ask is that Australia is largely out of stock on (decent) replacement rotors making me wonder how much this happens. Also a mechanic I spoke to said he sees this a lot in the modern sportsbikes with powerful brakes and otherwise minimalist rotors to save rotating weight.

Second question is, what experiences and reccomendations do people have a potential replacement rotors? (OEM and BREMBO out of the price range). Ive used MetalGear before and impressed but they are out of stock until February!

cheers
in my past experiences. i have gone with EBC high performance brake pads....with time the brake pads dont wear out fast...but your rotors do. with time they tend to warp making them useless.
again this is from my past experiences. it is better to go with brake pads that are soft on your rotors but with good stopping power.

if you ride on the track...you want high performance.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

ok cheers. Ill keep that in mind.
Been happy with EBC's over many bikes though and I like the feel of them. Not had a case of warped rotors before either...

any other feedback on the rotors etc and some replacements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

I always suggest going with either OEM discs or the EBC stock replacement discs. Both are good.

The stock rotors are very good, and hold up well even under race abuse.
jjman likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

well between the decent quality price rotors being out of stock for a long time and otherwise OEM and Brembo just being silly money im going to go for a set of the generic replacement wavy rotors.
They are located in Australia (so next day delivery so I can get the problem solved) and with a 24 month warranty it means that if they aren't up to the task then I can return them. Also at 1/3 of the price of Brembo n OEM stuff, both of which are out of stock in Australia anyway, its hard not to at least give them a try.

Ill let you all know how I get on with them...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
I always suggest going with either OEM discs or the EBC stock replacement discs. Both are good.

The stock rotors are very good, and hold up well even under race abuse.
that is correct...OEM discs are designed for the track as well and durability. you can not go wrong with OEM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
well between the decent quality price rotors being out of stock for a long time and otherwise OEM and Brembo just being silly money im going to go for a set of the generic replacement wavy rotors.
They are located in Australia (so next day delivery so I can get the problem solved) and with a 24 month warranty it means that if they aren't up to the task then I can return them. Also at 1/3 of the price of Brembo n OEM stuff, both of which are out of stock in Australia anyway, its hard not to at least give them a try.

Ill let you all know how I get on with them...
fyi.....you get what you pay for. Brembo parts, well that is some serious money for seriouse performance.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzgixxer View Post
that is correct...OEM discs are designed for the track as well and durability. you can not go wrong with OEM.
i would argue yes and no on both counts (OEM and get what you pay for). Sure, it will probably be good, but is it worth that money? no. its OEM tax, and they take the piss.
Not only that, but it was OEM that was on there and warped up after 15k miles (gentle miles). mechanic said there was still heaps of disc left (>50%). That's bullshit if you ask me. OEM money should have a product that can last the distance, especially when its not been beaten on. Or least put a serious warranty on them.

Beyond that, I know a lot of products across a range of vehicle applications where OEM is inferior to aftermarket and still asking twice the price.
It's not a hard and fast rule to be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzgixxer View Post
fyi.....you get what you pay for. Brembo parts, well that is some serious money for seriouse performance.
Sure, I hear good things. But for disc rotors im not sure again the price would be massively worth it (master cylinder and callipers sure, that's some serious engineering and brembo are the top). But again they have a "name-brand tax", they can charge extra so they do. Id say there would be very little in it between brembo discs and say MetalGear or EBC discs for a lot less money. Especially for my purposes (80% street riding, 15% fast street, 5% track-day) its unlikely id make the most of the higher end products and their higher performance.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:
i would argue yes and no on both counts (OEM and get what you pay for). Sure, it will probably be good, but is it worth that money? no. its OEM tax, and they take the piss.
Not only that, but it was OEM that was on there and warped up after 15k miles (gentle miles). mechanic said there was still heaps of disc left (>50%). That's bullshit if you ask me. OEM money should have a product that can last the distance, especially when its not been beaten on. Or least put a serious warranty on them.

Beyond that, I know a lot of products across a range of vehicle applications where OEM is inferior to aftermarket and still asking twice the price.
It's not a hard and fast rule to be sure

Sure, I hear good things. But for disc rotors im not sure again the price would be massively worth it (master cylinder and callipers sure, that's some serious engineering and brembo are the top). But again they have a "name-brand tax", they can charge extra so they do. Id say there would be very little in it between brembo discs and say MetalGear or EBC discs for a lot less money. Especially for my purposes (80% street riding, 15% fast street, 5% track-day) its unlikely id make the most of the higher end products and their higher performance.
If you had an issue with OEM discs warping after 15k light miles, you might have a caliper issue.

I have had OEM discs on every race bike I have owned, most of which had well over 10k dedicated track miles on them, without a single issue, and that is under extremely hard braking abuse.

Another common issue of warped rotors is when motorcycle shops don't remove the rotors, and then put the wheel on a bead braker, which presses on the brake discs and warps them. I have seen that happen personally.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
If you had an issue with OEM discs warping after 15k light miles, you might have a caliper issue.

I have had OEM discs on every race bike I have owned, most of which had well over 10k dedicated track miles on them, without a single issue, and that is under extremely hard braking abuse.

Another common issue of warped rotors is when motorcycle shops don't remove the rotors, and then put the wheel on a bead braker, which presses on the brake discs and warps them. I have seen that happen personally.
interesting. yeah I wouldn't rule it out. this bike was dealer serviced by the log book with full documented work and lets just say I wasn't impressed at all with the work done.

beyond this it seems people can get warps for a range of reasons. one of which does indeed seem to be a different style of riding and treatment when changing owners. my mechanic said he has seen this plenty, and otherwise also seen guys who beat on their bikes and or track/race them completely chew through a set of rotors and they are still straight as a die...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:05 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

I have no proof of this, however I believe really hard stops and keeping the brake applied can cause temperature differences across the rotor leading to warping. This is less likely on a race bike than a street bike.

I looked at some Australian made or imported rotors and they were not symmetrical in design, so I went for others that have a lot of good feedback. They are Chinese I believe and I purchased them from MC Motoparts on eBay. Haven't fitted them yet.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1997 gsxr600. Srad

Check for alignment of the calipers ect. And you need to bed in the new discs. My stock srad discs were warped to the point it was pushing the pads in i fitted neverland wavey dics and less then half price of stock ones its a good deal and now my bike stops well.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

yeah ill be getting the calipers checked.
and of course bedding in the discs.

did you get any of that funny harmonic 'singing' vibration from the wavy discs?
I had them on my K1 1000 a few years back and I had that (only at certain speeds and brake pressure, not all the time) but it annoyed me, and it is a known problem with wavy discs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode