LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: Gsxr 1000, 2009
Lower crank case fitment

Hi guys
i have a 2009 gsxr 1000
my question is :
Does a 2001-2008 year lower crank case fit the 2009 model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Lower crank case fitment

No. And honestly,you need both cases in order to work properly since they are a matched set.
JP1143 likes this.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 09-04-2015 at 06:58 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

K9 and later is a 2 piece crankcase vs 3 piece for the earlier years. Basically it's a completely different design so there's no hope. Even if there was, OG is right. The pieces are a matched set and shouldn't be swapped around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

I've read this many times out here and while I'm certainly not arguing, I'm just wondering: what is it that makes them matched? They're two separate castings that get cleaned-up and machined, then mated to each other during engine assembly. What assembly process results in them being matched with each other and incompatible with any other upper / lower?

I CAN imagine a few things like manually drilling holes that have to line-up and other things that I'd be laughed-at for thinking were part of building a gsxr engine.

If there's an old thread explaining this, that would be cool to read-up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^It's important that the upper and lower halves of holes like those for the crankshaft exactly match with each other. Normally the manufacturing strategy is to use pins to establish a unique upper/lower fit, then assemble the halves and machine the holes in the assembled parts. The components from different assemblies will fit together slightly differently, which is not good for those critical holes. Your statement "two separate castings that get cleaned-up and machined, then mated to each other during engine assembly" misrepresents what happens, i.e. they actually get mated first, then machined.
JP1143 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

The cases are line-bored together to ensure crank journals match. I know machinists(my engine builder)that have utilized two different case halves on a Busa and machined them to work together but its a significant job which requires machining larger bearing surfaces and then taking time to make each sure each one is sized properly.
My guy has done it,cause thats his profession and it was for his own bike.

Sometimes this will not even work as the case halves are too mismatched where the crank sits and maching to fit is not possible or feasible due to time/labor/effort. Cheaper to buy a used engine and go from there.
JP1143 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Fascinating. It would be cool to see these processes in action.

There's a french expression that comes to mind. Loosely translated: I'll go to sleep a little less stupid tonight

Thanks to both of you
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
^It's important that the upper and lower halves of holes like those for the crankshaft exactly match with each other. Normally the manufacturing strategy is to use pins to establish a unique upper/lower fit, then assemble the halves and machine the holes in the assembled parts. The components from different assemblies will fit together slightly differently, which is not good for those critical holes. Your statement "two separate castings that get cleaned-up and machined, then mated to each other during engine assembly" misrepresents what happens, i.e. they actually get mated first, then machined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
The cases are line-bored together to ensure crank journals match. I know machinists(my engine builder)that have utilized two different case halves on a Busa and machined them to work together but its a significant job which requires machining larger bearing surfaces and then taking time to make each sure each one is sized properly.
My guy has done it,cause thats his profession and it was for his own bike.

Sometimes this will not even work as the case halves are too mismatched where the crank sits and maching to fit is not possible or feasible due to time/labor/effort. Cheaper to buy a used engine and go from there.
. Exactly what these two said.

You don't even want to interchange the cam caps from a different case set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode